GPU: MSI GTX 650TI BOOST OC 2GB BE TF3
RAM: 4GB 800Mhz Samsung 2x2 ( MB MAX )
MB: Foxconn G31MX Motherboard
PSU: FSP 600Watts 85+
Storage: Intel 330 120GB SSD + 1TB WD HDD
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker
HSF:Cooler master HYPER 612 2x Fan
Cooling: All Fan slots has fan total of 8 chassis CM fans

Simple questions. Im using Latest drivers + MSI afterburner aswell. I just wanna know why i cant apply my exact preferred clocks to my GPU ( Ex: I put +77 but in game clocks show the same clock then if i use +78 it suddenly jumps to a specific clock )
Plus im stuck to 1202Mhz-Core/1502-Memory. Is that good for a 650ti boost? Or too low? Because i only added +78 to core and stock to memory clocks.
The moment i add more to clock it kept crashing. is it because i reached its max? OR Does my old mobo limiting my gpu clock potential?
Anyways, In-game full load gpu temps never reach 60c and i dont play around voltages. I read it can reduce lifespan.
I know gtx 650ti boost is old but other parts are much older.
ALSO
I cant overclock CPU because when i do it on bios, Mobo only let me overclock cpu by also Overclocking other parts ( RAM, FSB )
And if i do it only let me reach from 3166Mhz TO 3260Mhz ( Forgot exact clock ) cpu clock before it keep reverting to defaults.
Small difference.
Or is it safe to overclock cpu even with RAM and FSB included? Im afraid that if i do something i dont fully understand ( FSB ) i might damage my system.

A lot of thanks in advance to anyone who can help me o even try. I just need some advice and help on this matter.

Note:
I dont have money to buy or upgrade parts for now. Also im aware of the bottleneck. Buuut i only use it for old legends like Skyrim, Far cry 3 etc etc. PC prices too high in my country.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? I think you're being limited with power in your system. FSP is the brand of the while 600W is the wattage and 85+ is the efficiency rating, it doesn't state the model of the unit.

I dont have money to buy or upgrade parts for now.
You should treat teh parts/system with more care and not overclock them since overclocking comes with it's own risks, death of parts being one of them.

JOXXXEP

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? I think you're being limited with power in your system. FSP is the brand of the while 600W is the wattage and 85+ is the efficiency rating, it doesn't state the model of the unit.

I dont have money to buy or upgrade parts for now.
You should treat teh parts/system with more care and not overclock them since overclocking comes with it's own risks, death of parts being one of them.

Hi! Thankyou for welcoming me and replying.
My PSU is brand new bought this january almost half a year old and as i have calculated with my build, i only need less than 450watts if not 500watts for my build but i bought a 600watts one just for a headroom for the system stability.
It is named FSP Everest 600watts Model with 85+ Efficiency. I used this before on my last build ( i5-3570K + GTX 660 + 16Gb RAM ) and it can sustain enough juice so i guess 600watts will be more than enough for my lower build this time.

Yes. I am fully aware of the risk so as much as possible, I just overclock the GPU without touching the voltage and staying waaay below dangerous temps. Still a risk but minimized.

Im just curious with my Overclocking troubles stated above on why i cant apply exact preferred clocks on my GPU and is overclocking CPU with RAM and FSB included ok?
Yeah there will be risk but will it be on the safeeyyy side of overclocking?

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
You do increase fsb to overclock those older cpus. Memory clocks do increase too, but you can set a lower ram speed independently… but those G31 motherboards aren’t really meant for overclocking anyway, so…

i dunno if you could in fact change the voltage on those gpus but the max voltage you could push in afterburner typically arent enough to cause damage.

But ive never had any situation where i needed to overvolt, i always undervolt my gpu for cooler temps and less power consumption

some tips for overclocking gpu:
-Run heaven benchmark

-increase core clocks say 20mhz at a time until it crashes, then back off until stable.

-increase mem clock 50 or so mhz at a time till it crashes then back off till stable.

-you could push core voltage 2 or so mv at a time if you want to push oc further, but temps and power consumption increases. Ive been able to push +100mv on one gpu with no short term damage at all.

-you can undervolt to reduce power and temps but you may have to underclock a bit. I prefer undervolting even if it means i have to run at slightly slower clocks…

-power limit would make the gpu throttle when a certain power or temp target is reached, if you reduce it gpu will throttle more. I actually just set it at the maximum.

aaand… you say your last build had a 3570k, so um… why did you replace it with an old core 2 duo??

Reactions: JOXXXEP

JOXXXEP

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
You do increase fsb to overclock those older cpus. Memory clocks do increase too, but you can set a lower ram speed independently… but those G31 motherboards aren’t really meant for overclocking anyway, so…

i dunno if you could in fact change the voltage on those gpus but the max voltage you could push in afterburner typically arent enough to cause damage.

But ive never had any situation where i needed to overvolt, i always undervolt my gpu for cooler temps and less power consumption

some tips for overclocking gpu:
-Run heaven benchmark

-increase core clocks say 20mhz at a time until it crashes, then back off until stable.

-increase mem clock 50 or so mhz at a time till it crashes then back off till stable.

-you could push core voltage 2 or so mv at a time if you want to push oc further, but temps and power consumption increases. Ive been able to push +100mv on one gpu with no short term damage at all.

-you can undervolt to reduce power and temps but you may have to underclock a bit. I prefer undervolting even if it means i have to run at slightly slower clocks…

-power limit would make the gpu throttle when a certain power or temp target is reached, if you reduce it gpu will throttle more. I actually just set it at the maximum.

aaand… you say your last build had a 3570k, so um… why did you replace it with an old core 2 duo??
Hi! Thankyou for taking your time to comment.
Yes. My G31MX is old. And OC features for cpu automatically also OC's FSB and RAM.
I wasnt looking for a huge boost on cpu like 500Mhz. Just a simple 200-300Mhz increase to keep up with the GPU. And yes mobo has option to also independently OC or retain stock clock for ram but im curious about the FSB.
Will it be safe to OC my CPU even if it OC the FSB aswell? Like wont there be any specific part of the mobo that can be fried by the overclocked FSB?

About the GPU, Figured i have a locked Bios so i wont be able to touch the voltage anyway. I did underclock my 660 before and it was cooler but i alao tried it to my current 650Ti Boost and there is no changes on voltage in-game.
Full load in gane always shows me 1.175v which i think is the stock max. GPU modded bios is a no go for me. Also there is only 2 bios available for my model so i decided to stay with original bios instead of risking bricked GPU.
And yes, Im aware of Overclocking tradition with former cards. But when i got this it was strange i have to slide clock to a specific point for the in-game clocks to change like on my example. +76 core stay on 1195mhz +77 core stays on 1195mhz then when i go try +78 it goes to 1202mhz. Can you tell me how does that happen? And is 1202Mhz core ok for a GTX650Ti boost or low?

Also i stay on 100 power limit to meet my needs on gaming but i turn slider waaaay down when just browsing or watching movies.

Yes i got 3570K +Asus P8z77-V MB + GTX 660 as a gift. I was out on vacation and when i returned i booted my pc and everything freezes a minute it got to the OS and components fried out. Only RAM and PSU survived. Turns out i think a little mouse got into CM stryker case waterloop hole behind the cased and decided to pee on my gpu.
Now pandemic cut off my budget for pc.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
FSB overclock shouldn’t damage cpu, at worst it just won’t post if you overclock too much (could possibly be solved by lowering ram speed). You could only potentially damage hardware if you touch the voltages, but its only possible on the P series motherboards so you have nothing to worry about there.

basically try overclocking cpu till it doesn’t post, then back down to the last working setting. Try decreasing ram and see if you could still overclock fsb some more or leave it at a setting you’re comfortable with. So long as there are no crashes you should be good.

i think there are also some boards that overclock pcie together with the fsb, there should be an option to “de-synchronize” them. Pcie should be left stock.

As for your gpu, i don’t know why it does that. All i could say is, the best overclock is the highest clock where it doesnt crash in heaven benchmark and in gaming and the highest you are comfortable with.

also, overclocks that are stable for one game could potentially be unstable for another. It’s up to you to find out for yourself what settings are stable for each game, for your specific card.

you can enable voltage control in afterburner advanced settings. You can press ctrl+f to adjust voltage curves if the simple slider is still locked. Undervolting shouldn’t damage a gpu, so long as its stable you’re good too. Plus manufacturers normally set stock voltages higher for overclocking headroom. I’ve been able to set one amd card -150mv through bios mod at stock clocks and its still stable, most of the time.

You don’t have to lower power limit for lighter loads, it should automatically downclock when it doesn’t need the power.

JOXXXEP

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
FSB overclock shouldn’t damage cpu, at worst it just won’t post if you overclock too much (could possibly be solved by lowering ram speed). You could only potentially damage hardware if you touch the voltages, but its only possible on the P series motherboards so you have nothing to worry about there.

basically try overclocking cpu till it doesn’t post, then back down to the last working setting. Try decreasing ram and see if you could still overclock fsb some more or leave it at a setting you’re comfortable with. So long as there are no crashes you should be good.

i think there are also some boards that overclock pcie together with the fsb, there should be an option to “de-synchronize” them. Pcie should be left stock.

As for your gpu, i don’t know why it does that. All i could say is, the best overclock is the highest clock where it doesnt crash in heaven benchmark and in gaming and the highest you are comfortable with.

also, overclocks that are stable for one game could potentially be unstable for another. It’s up to you to find out for yourself what settings are stable for each game, for your specific card.

you can enable voltage control in afterburner advanced settings. You can press ctrl+f to adjust voltage curves if the simple slider is still locked. Undervolting shouldn’t damage a gpu, so long as its stable you’re good too. Plus manufacturers normally set stock voltages higher for overclocking headroom. I’ve been able to set one amd card -150mv through bios mod at stock clocks and its still stable, most of the time.

You don’t have to lower power limit for lighter loads, it should automatically downclock when it doesn’t need the power.
Hi! Thankyou for your answer.
I may try it later on when i got the time.
I'll go for highest i can ( Probably mb will only let me add just additional 100~mhz ) for overclocking cpu. And yes. PCI-E and FSB overclocking is separate options in my motherboard. I'm more comfortable using MSI afterburner for GPU OC anyway and much more friendly UI.

You're right. On FC3 1215Mhz core works and never crash. On Other games such as Firewatch wont let me play 1215Mhz core but doesnt crash on 1202Mhz core.
I'll stay with 1202mhz since it has the most stability with all games and not much a performance decrease from 1215mhz.
Unigine let me go up to 1215Mhz core though buuut other game doesnt.
i'll try to underclock my gpu aswell later with your CTRL+F trick. If that doesnt work i'll be fine with current voltage haha

I'll post update here in any case. Thanks again for helping me get information clearly.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
dont forget to tick unlock voltage control and unlock voltage monitoring first in afterburner settings. you could also save different overclock configs for each game in afterburner...

you could also undervolt the cpu a bit with throttlestop, unlikely to cause instability but could lower cpu temps by a few degrees

Well overclocking on those cpu's should always be done with the FSB
another note... if overclocking the cpu keep the ram 1 to 1 for optimum performance so if the FSB is 350 your ram speed should be 700
As mentioned g31 isn't good for overclocking, but those are from the olden days so it should give you something... I would shoot for 350FSB and go from there.

Overclock only by raising the FSB nothing else. I remember my g31 not being great for speeds with FSB passed 333 so take it really easy 350 would be the likely limit.

JOXXXEP

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
dont forget to tick unlock voltage control and unlock voltage monitoring first in afterburner settings. you could also save different overclock configs for each game in afterburner...

you could also undervolt the cpu a bit with throttlestop, unlikely to cause instability but could lower cpu temps by a few degrees
Oh yeah i use rivatuner paired with MSI afterburner to monitor. Very convinient.

That throttlestop is very interesting.
Im aware of XTU but never heard of throttlestop till now. Does undervolting setting applies even on reboot/shutdown?
Also is it safe to increase multiplier there?
I always stick to bios for cpu overclocking but i was thinking maybe i can bypass my bios's limited options through a software ( Throttlestop )

I just got home and about to try all this.

JOXXXEP

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
Well overclocking on those cpu's should always be done with the FSB
another note... if overclocking the cpu keep the ram 1 to 1 for optimum performance so if the FSB is 350 your ram speed should be 700
As mentioned g31 isn't good for overclocking, but those are from the olden days so it should give you something... I would shoot for 350FSB and go from there.

Overclock only by raising the FSB nothing else. I remember my g31 not being great for speeds with FSB passed 333 so take it really easy 350 would be the likely limit.
Hi! Thanks for commenting your experience.

Gotcha' atleast now i know. Was afraid before of touching FSB. Got used to newer motherboard which can independently overclock specific parts.

My bios says my FSB stock frequency is @1333Mhz and stock ram frequency @800Mhz.
Does that sound right?

I'll be trying this later.
My hardware is real old yeah. I'll be stuck with this for some time maybe till year-end or more. But till then i'll make the most out of it without putting components at higher risk. Better safe than sorry so i decided to leave a post here heh

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
you cannot increase the multiplier on a locked cpu, but you can decrease it.
you also can't overvolt with throttlestop too, to the best of my knowledge... the max undervolt throttlestop would allow, at max (stock) clocks are typically 100% stable.

JOXXXEP

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
you cannot increase the multiplier on a locked cpu, but you can decrease it.
you also can't overvolt with throttlestop too, to the best of my knowledge... the max undervolt throttlestop would allow, at max (stock) clocks are typically 100% stable.
Hi! Tried your advices. First of, i want to thank you a LOT of introducing throttlestop.
I was using bios to use -0.0250v on my cpu but found out it doesnt apply/work. Cpu is locked to 1.2750v but throttlestop fixes it i used 1.1000 ( lowest that throttlestop lets me ) and stressed pc for 2hours and another 1 hours for gameplay. Not a single crash or error and got my temps ( Gameplay from far cry 3 ) from 55c max to 40c. Huge difference and actually gained 1fps HAHA
Found out the maximum OC for my cpu that MB lets me is 9.5 x 340. I can reach 341 but it doesnt save every boot so i stayed 340 which gives me a total of 3.230Mhz on cpu ( perfectly stable ) Tiny difference but still helps. Also locked my ram frequency to 800Mhz now ( Stock )
Also confidently did overclocked my cpu now from stock 3.166Mhz to 3.230Mhz and CPU usage doesnt reach 100% now and 3-4% higher gpu usage which seems helped my cpu bottleneck even a bit.

Also found out the MSI Afterburner ( CTRL+F ) Trick doesnt work for me so im guessing my gpu is locked and needs GPU bios but im afraid i can brick my card from that. ( Although i already found a BIOS MOD which is much like the stock but still thinking twice about it. So i guess i'll be staying with my current gpu temps.
Never reached 60c and barely reach 55c anyway.

Im sorry for bothering you this long but i have 2 more question.
1. Is there a way i can further lower throttlestop VID lower than what is available? Like modify throttlestop files or other old version? ( 1.1000 minimum and i also tried multiple random old version and everything only let me set 1.1000 as minimum ) i was thinking maybe there an spicific version that will let me go lower like 0.0900 or something close. My cpu minimum posted on intel is 0.0800v so yeah.

2. https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/140289/msi-gtx650tiboost-2048-130314
This bios is very much the same as the stock and im thinking maybe if i flash that, It can unlock gpu voltage but im not sure since my past cards are always unlocked. If you have time, silly request but- Can you gave a look and see if suits my gpu and can it unlock my gpu voltage control?

Thanks a lot in advance, i am already very satisfied on the results you adviced me to.
My hardware still limits most of what i can do but still a huge help on my temps. Stress test on cpu barely reach 49c

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
For afterburner undervolting, have you first ticked the unlock voltage control and unlock voltage monitoring in afterburner advanced settings?

theres no way to go lower than what throttlestop would allow unfortunately. The only way would be through bios.

I advice against flashing a different model gpu bios in your gpu, it might damage other components such as the vrm.

if you’re really set on bios modding, you could go get kepler bios tweaker from techpowerup, then flash with nvflash. Should be pretty straightforward.

i couldnt give much insight on flashing nvidia gpus as I’ve only ever flashed amd gpus.

bios modding is a bit on the more dangerous side but you should be good so long as you’re careful.

it would be nice to get software voltage control working to establish a baseline, as if you undervolt too much the gpu will not function, and is effectively bricked. But easily recoverable from safe mode or dos.

Hi! Thanks for commenting your experience.

Gotcha' atleast now i know. Was afraid before of touching FSB. Got used to newer motherboard which can independently overclock specific parts.

My bios says my FSB stock frequency is @1333Mhz and stock ram frequency @800Mhz.
Does that sound right?

I'll be trying this later.
My hardware is real old yeah. I'll be stuck with this for some time maybe till year-end or more. But till then i'll make the most out of it without putting components at higher risk. Better safe than sorry so i decided to leave a post here heh
Well run your ram linked 1:1

1333fsb is actually 333 x4 roughly and Ideal RAM speed for this would be 666/667 with 667 being the more likely of the two.

JOXXXEP

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
For afterburner undervolting, have you first ticked the unlock voltage control and unlock voltage monitoring in afterburner advanced settings?

theres no way to go lower than what throttlestop would allow unfortunately. The only way would be through bios.

I advice against flashing a different model gpu bios in your gpu, it might damage other components such as the vrm.

if you’re really set on bios modding, you could go get kepler bios tweaker from techpowerup, then flash with nvflash. Should be pretty straightforward.

i couldnt give much insight on flashing nvidia gpus as I’ve only ever flashed amd gpus.

bios modding is a bit on the more dangerous side but you should be good so long as you’re careful.

it would be nice to get software voltage control working to establish a baseline, as if you undervolt too much the gpu will not function, and is effectively bricked. But easily recoverable from safe mode or dos.
Yes i have done all ways/tricks i you have adviced me plus hours of research with out friend google. No luck. Guess my card is locked and some people unlocked theirs using bios mod.

I have decided that bios mod is not worth the risk. Realized i asked here to minimize risks in the first place so i'll leave gpu to stock. It doesnt even reach 60c anyway. as a saying in pc,
"If it aint broke, dont fix it" Haha

So there i have it. Overclocked the cpu from 3.166Mhz to 3.230Mhz and underclocked from 1.2750v (55c max ) to (corrected*44c Max ) 1.1000v No crash / Very stable gameplays amd actually gained 1fps lol . Ram i set back at 800Mhz and Left it running for another 4 hours . My cpu usage is always 100% max before but now only reach 90-93% with higher gpu utilization. Seems it helped with mu cpu bottleneck. Its warm in my country so ambient temps is not helping my cooling but i think im 44c max is already good even on 31c weather environment.
Well its hard to pin point chages as usage will fluctuate rapidly and randomly. This is the best monitoring record i got. I didnt try intel XTU i think my processor is unsupported and also throttlestop os very convinient and i dont have to install plus i dont wanna install anything yet.
I just finished full system format+defragmentation that took 30hrs haha

As for the gpu i think i'll stay with +78 Core and just add +100Mem to improve min fps in-game.

Hi! Tried your advices. First of, i want to thank you a LOT of introducing throttlestop.
I was using bios to use -0.0250v on my cpu but found out it doesnt apply/work. Cpu is locked to 1.2750v but throttlestop fixes it i used 1.1000 ( lowest that throttlestop lets me ) and stressed pc for 2hours and another 1 hours for gameplay. Not a single crash or error and got my temps ( Gameplay from far cry 3 ) from 55c max to 40c. Huge difference and actually gained 1fps HAHA
Found out the maximum OC for my cpu that MB lets me is 9.5 x 340. I can reach 341 but it doesnt save every boot so i stayed 340 which gives me a total of 3.230Mhz on cpu ( perfectly stable ) Tiny difference but still helps. Also locked my ram frequency to 800Mhz now ( Stock )
Also confidently did overclocked my cpu now from stock 3.166Mhz to 3.230Mhz and CPU usage doesnt reach 100% now and 3-4% higher gpu usage which seems helped my cpu bottleneck even a bit.

Also found out the MSI Afterburner ( CTRL+F ) Trick doesnt work for me so im guessing my gpu is locked and needs GPU bios but im afraid i can brick my card from that. ( Although i already found a BIOS MOD which is much like the stock but still thinking twice about it. So i guess i'll be staying with my current gpu temps.
Never reached 60c and barely reach 55c anyway.

Im sorry for bothering you this long but i have 2 more question.
1. Is there a way i can further lower throttlestop VID lower than what is available? Like modify throttlestop files or other old version? ( 1.1000 minimum and i also tried multiple random old version and everything only let me set 1.1000 as minimum ) i was thinking maybe there an spicific version that will let me go lower like 0.0900 or something close. My cpu minimum posted on intel is 0.0800v so yeah.

2. https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/140289/msi-gtx650tiboost-2048-130314
This bios is very much the same as the stock and im thinking maybe if i flash that, It can unlock gpu voltage but im not sure since my past cards are always unlocked. If you have time, silly request but- Can you gave a look and see if suits my gpu and can it unlock my gpu voltage control?

Thanks a lot in advance, i am already very satisfied on the results you advice me to.
My hardware still limits most of what i can do but still a huge help on my temps. Stress test on cpu barely reach 49c

you really should try to run the ram at 680Mhz, by having it linked 1:1 Ratio. Try it out, I bet it performs slightly better. Enjoy it!

JOXXXEP

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
you really should try to run the ram at 680Mhz, by having it linked 1:1 Ratio. Try it out, I bet it performs slightly better. Enjoy it!
Hi! Tried out your advice, Unfortunately i have downloaded HWinfo and discovered my MB Bios setting for RAM doesnt work ( Frequency ) settings aswell as CPU voltage so i left both as default/stock so im stuck with OC'd ram to 817Mhz but im using Throttlestop to modify CPU voltages through software.
I was a bit curious because everytime i go through bios, RAM speed stays the same even though im forcing it to run at stock ao idecided to use hwinfo for it.
Although RAM voltage settings at bios work it only let me add voltage. Not undervoltage.
Fox One software for my mobo settings is unreliable at best but i can chage ram frequency there but only lets me add the stock frwquency my sticks has. Not reduce frequency.
Still thwnkyou for pointing that out otherwise i wouldnt have known my bios settings for ram doesnt work aswell as cpu voltage.
Bios version is the latest. Took me hours researching. I have the
Sorry i cant even try your advice on lowering frequency of RAM.
Really missing those modern motherboards now where i can modify almost just about everything without hassle or bugs. Never had problem on bios before.

That really depends on how the BIOS is programmed. With no Static tRead / tRd adjustment in the BIOS, then unlinked 817MHz RAM may actually have less latency than 1:1 680MHz and the only way to find out for sure is to try it and test it.

If you set the FSB high enough the board will likely automatically reduce the speed of the RAM unless that's actually DDR2-1066 you have

I've overclocked plenty of G31 boards and can say they don't have FSB issues, just a lack of voltage and timing adjustments for the memory controller in the Northbridge (G41 was the one with a FSB limitation ~340MHz, G31 just cannot actually use more than 3.4GB of RAM). E8500 isn't a great choice for overclocking as its default 333/1333FSB is so high, but I've run 400/1600FSB in G31 before and E8500 can usually do that below 1.4v to give you 3.8GHz--plus you already have RAM that can run 800 for sure.

In fact I used to overclock 1066 processors in G31 powered HPs, Dells and Lenovos all the time to 1333FSB via pad-modding, so that isn't anything special, and those could only run at default voltage on the cheapest crap ECS/PCchips motherboards available. I would drop those to 667 memory by the expedient of using actual DDR2-667 to see if it had lower latency than 800, and they usually proved not to.

That is to say there might be a FSB hole where 341-349 isn't stable but 350+ may be.

BTW GTX 650Ti Boost was the very first nVidia GPU with a boost clock so the vBIOS looks a bit weird but it does in the end behave much like later cards (BTW you're supposed to edit the values in your own BIOS, not flash any other card's BIOS to your card!)

1202MHz is not bad for stock voltage if it actually holds that clock while gaming, though your1.175v seems rather high for stock. Kepler used to clock much higher when you could set voltage at 1.212V but the drivers for years now have restricted max voltage to 1.187v, which is lower than some of the voltages in the stock boost tables. What happens nowadays is the boost clock never exceeds the speed corresponding to that voltage in the BIOS' boost table no matter what speed you set it for, and if you actually exceed that voltage for the base clock the drivers will refuse to load so Windows will report a Code 43 for the device and run the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter instead. The net result of this is many people report their +500 is perfectly stable when the actual speed in games never goes above stock.

With most Keplers you actually need to edit the voltage table lower so high clock states stay under 1.187v in order to see higher boost speeds. Yep, it's weird to have to undervolt from stock to overclock.

So while a vBIOS mod may not offer much more speed if you are stability limited (but at least you could raise voltage slightly to 1.187v if you only need a bit more to reach 1215), it doesn't hurt anything to look at the boost, voltage and fan tables in KeplerBiosTweaker. You may even see something to modify like fan speeds at low temperatures, that has nothing to do with overclocking.

That is to say there might be a FSB hole where 341-349 isn't stable but 350+ may be.

BTW GTX 650Ti Boost was the very first nVidia GPU with a boost clock so the vBIOS looks a bit weird but it does in the end behave much like later cards (BTW you're supposed to edit the values in your own BIOS, not flash any other card's BIOS to your card!)

1202MHz is not bad for stock voltage if it actually holds that clock while gaming, though your1.175v seems rather high for stock. Kepler used to clock much higher when you could set voltage at 1.212V but the drivers for years now have restricted max voltage to 1.187v, which is lower than some of the voltages in the stock boost tables. What happens nowadays is the boost clock never exceeds the speed corresponding to that voltage in the BIOS' boost table no matter what speed you set it for, and if you actually exceed that voltage for the base clock the drivers will refuse to load so Windows will report a Code 43 for the device and run the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter instead. The net result of this is many people report their +500 is perfectly stable when the actual speed in games never goes above stock.

With most Keplers you actually need to edit the voltage table lower so high clock states stay under 1.187v in order to see higher boost speeds. Yep, it's weird to have to undervolt from stock to overclock.

So while a vBIOS mod may not offer much more speed if you are stability limited (but at least you could raise voltage slightly to 1.187v if you only need a bit more to reach 1215), it doesn't hurt anything to look at the boost, voltage and fan tables in KeplerBiosTweaker. You may even see something to modify like fan speeds at low temperatures, that has nothing to do with overclocking.

Interesting you mention FSB hole because this is something that used to actually be a real thing, but usually only on pricey motherboards and super high overclocks.

Core2 was about the last time I was at all interested in overclocking, getting 50 or 60 % overclocks was thrilling, it was nice not to have cheap ram though.

I was lapping and running crazy high FSB 475Mhz/1900Mhz just so I could overclock the ram and keep it at 1:1.
Not having to pay a premium to be allowed to overclock using a budget processor and beating high end models was fun and cheap.... good luck man, don't be afraid to pour the voltage on the cpu... they can take it.

JOXXXEP

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
That really depends on how the BIOS is programmed. With no Static tRead / tRd adjustment in the BIOS, then unlinked 817MHz RAM may actually have less latency than 1:1 680MHz and the only way to find out for sure is to try it and test it.

If you set the FSB high enough the board will likely automatically reduce the speed of the RAM unless that's actually DDR2-1066 you have

I've overclocked plenty of G31 boards and can say they don't have FSB issues, just a lack of voltage and timing adjustments for the memory controller in the Northbridge (G41 was the one with a FSB limitation ~340MHz, G31 just cannot actually use more than 3.4GB of RAM). E8500 isn't a great choice for overclocking as its default 333/1333FSB is so high, but I've run 400/1600FSB in G31 before and E8500 can usually do that below 1.4v to give you 3.8GHz--plus you already have RAM that can run 800 for sure.

In fact I used to overclock 1066 processors in G31 powered HPs, Dells and Lenovos all the time to 1333FSB via pad-modding, so that isn't anything special, and those could only run at default voltage on the cheapest crap ECS/PCchips motherboards available. I would drop those to 667 memory by the expedient of using actual DDR2-667 to see if it had lower latency than 800, and they usually proved not to.
Hi! Honestly i dont have deep knowledge on technical information about PC. Just basic one but i'll answer best i can.
Got my RAM ( Took me 2days finding a store selling this bc most stores on my city only sell latest components and DDR2 waaaay to old now ) but here it is. Ram specs on the box says 2 Sticks of 2Gb 800Mhz PC-6400 240-Pin DIMM Dual-Channel as total of 4Gb as maximum my MB supports. MB bios has timing options but i dont touch any of them because i dont even know what they are for nor would i even recognize the benefits if i do so.
Here is my MB specs:

Im curious about the FSB hole but as spentshells says, My MB is honestly cheap but i guess it does the job i wanted it for but limited. But still im interested on trying out now maybe i can find some stable zone in my FSB. Will currently on 340 but will continue on 345 onwards with 1 increments per try. I'll never know.

Yeah thankyou for pointing this out. I hust realized i can just tweak instead of flashing other's. I have ZERO experience and skill on tweaking nor flashing since this is the first card which has a locked settings.
And yes. I can confirm 1202Mhz is very stable AND consistent ( Depends on game complexity and settings ) I use rivatuner to monitor my in-game performance and yeah. Shows 1202Mhz always but some games are too light to render or unoptimized so some games it only runs automatically at min clock ( 1032Mhz ) but those are the games which i can run 60+ fps.
( Now i lock my fps in nvidia settings to 60 to reduce strain of gpu since my monitor can only display 60hz )
Little Nightmares / COD MW.
Im researching on bios tweaking but Maybe i'll skip GPU bios tweak/modding.
Cant risk what i have now since i have no spare to use if i messed up but surely tempting heh
Im contented with 1202Mhz but was curious if its even any good or bad because its the highest which gpu lets me. Rivatuner says my ingame gpu voltage is mostly at 1.175v when running at full potential/complex game @1202core and 3005mem which hovers around 51c. Ambient temp in my room i think is 29-31. And idle temps is 33-35c when im not moving my mouse.
Anyways this is my GPU specs:
https://videocardz.net/msi-geforce-gtx-650-ti-boost-2gb-twin-frozr-gaming-oc

I need to ask, will increasing power limit on MSI Afterburner help me achieve higher clocks and stay stable with said higher clock? MSI AB lets me control it up to 119% but i never touched the slider before.

Last edited:

JOXXXEP

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
Interesting you mention FSB hole because this is something that used to actually be a real thing, but usually only on pricey motherboards and super high overclocks.

Core2 was about the last time I was at all interested in overclocking, getting 50 or 60 % overclocks was thrilling, it was nice not to have cheap ram though.

I was lapping and running crazy high FSB 475Mhz/1900Mhz just so I could overclock the ram and keep it at 1:1.
Not having to pay a premium to be allowed to overclock using a budget processor and beating high end models was fun and cheap.... good luck man, don't be afraid to pour the voltage on the cpu... they can take it.
Hi ! Interesting indeed. Sad i have a cheap MB but still willing to try it out . I'll start at 345 - 400 by 1 increments per try. MB says 600 is maximum but im not gonna bother trying so, I know this MB cant do that high lol
I have the time to do so anyway. I dont know what my FSB wall is though but i'll try as far i can below 400.

I saw lot of videos people going up to 4Ghz with their e8500 on stock cooling when i have a cooling for higher cpu ( Got this from my i5 3570k ) but im currently stuck to 3230Mhz which sucks.

I'll be using cpu stock volts 1.2750v finding a stable zone higher than what i got now.
Btw, Thanks a lot for your advice. Really Appriciate all you guys helping me with what you can.

I'll be updating here in an hour or two about the results.

JOXXXEP

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
Hi everyone, Just tried to search for a stable fsb zone starting from 345 - 445 by increments of 1 per try. No post from 350 onwards or just reboots but on default values ( 333 ) No luck.
Guess my mobo isnt one of those that only has fab hole. Really just sucks heh
I reverted back to 340 which is the highest i can.
Can do 341 but unstable and would sometimes revert to 333. And likely to work as 340.5 from ehat i can see on cpu frequency addition
I Better stay on 340.
I was trying to post image here of my bios but i cant upload directly.

Hi everyone, Just tried to search for a stable fsb zone starting from 345 - 445 by increments of 1 per try. No post from 350 onwards or just reboots but on default values ( 333 ) No luck.
Guess my mobo isnt one of those that only has fab hole. Really just sucks heh
I reverted back to 340 which is the highest i can.
Can do 341 but unstable and would sometimes revert to 333. And likely to work as 340.5 from ehat i can see on cpu frequency addition
I Better stay on 340.
I was trying to post image here of my bios but i cant upload directly.
Disable load line calibration, voltage up to and passed 1.3 is fully safe you have a fantastic cooler. And as I keep saying you need to run your ram 1:1 you need to do this for stability. Especially with a g31 motherboard.