Oct 5, 2019
My MSI 970 does not boot after replacing thermal paste.
While replacing i used anti static wrist strap and i did on a solid table, we don't have cats, i put paste only little bit and only at the solid core not to the surrounding resistors, just to make things clear.

When trying to boot, at the start the card does not spin its fans, but after few seconds the fans starts to spin at full speed (very loud)
and i do not get a post. PC boots with a another gpu.

I have tried: clearing cmos, checking that psu's cables aren't broken.

I have no idea i should i try next, did the replacement very gently, so gpu should not be broken, i hope.

Before you took of the back plate off did you unplug the side plug, the wire runs along the outer edge. And then once you took of the back plate did you unplug the small white two prong plug that ran from the card to the back plate (inside) ? Double check those two plugs to make sure they are seated correctly.

Oct 5, 2019
If you mean the that is at the back and red and black at above, they are connected. the surrounding plastic for the red black cable is little bit broken, can it make the cable not to connect properly? or something. (still not booting)

Oct 5, 2019
No i don't have, i have fx-8350, would it work if i used other videocard in my first pcie slot and the gtx 970 at the second slot?
i quess i have to find that out myself XD i will post how that went, probably horribly wrong.

update: i was able to flash the bios, didn't help :/

Last edited: