Dec 18, 2019
Hi,

I was playing a game when suddenly my computer shut down with just my RAM's lights working. After restarting, the system seemed to boot up just fine but the problem was that I was not getting any display (just a black screen). The gpu is an msi gtx1080. Luckily I had a spare gtx970 with me and after replacing it and now the display is just fine.

Can anyone tell me what happened to my 1080??

System Specs
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz Eight-Core AM
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Adata XPG Spectrix D41 16G x 2
Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W 80 PLUS

Solution
1)The gpu overheated and crashed.

2)The psu dropped the 1080 mid dead lift. It's not a great one as far as internal quality is concerned.

3)You have a short in the port of the gpu the monitor cable was plugged in. The cause? That one's over my head, unfortunately.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

2)The psu dropped the 1080 mid dead lift. It's not a great one as far as internal quality is concerned.

3)You have a short in the port of the gpu the monitor cable was plugged in. The cause? That one's over my head, unfortunately.

Solution
Dec 18, 2019

To answer to your points

1. Thats quite possible as ive been using the gpu for more than 3yrs without changing thermal
  2. Thats possible too
  3. Could be but what I dont understand is why my computer shut down.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Common causes of shut downs:
1)Overheating. The component in question has to sit at critical temps for an extended period to trigger that protection; it doesn't happen instantly.

2)Memory corruption, usually mixed ram.

3)Insufficient power delivery or overvoltage.

Likely more than that - that's the extent of my knowledge though.

Dec 18, 2019
Common causes of shut downs:
1)Overheating. The component in question has to sit at critical temps for an extended period to trigger that protection; it doesn't happen instantly.

2)Memory corruption, usually mixed ram.

3)Insufficient power delivery or overvoltage.

Likely more than that - that's the extent of my knowledge though.

Ill check the gpu with my old system. If that doesnt work, perhaps its time to go for the 3080... Can you recommend a decent PSU that goes with a 3080?

Thanks for you help mate!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Look to the Tier A options, starting around 750w.