Question [Hang/Freeze/Crash] - Event ID 14 nvlddmkm, AMD+NVIDIA

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2020
This thread is for if your issue occurs sporadically and randomly (from once every week(s) to once every month(s)). If you are having the same event ID repeatedly and consistently you do not have the same issue.

PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE QUESTIONS, A FIX OR RELEVANT ADDITIONAL INFO as this will otherwise flood the thread is it did with the previous one. Use the poll instead to add your +1.

Introduction:
This has been a long going thread from Reddit which I was the owner of.
The thread is almost 6 months old, meaning it will most likely archive and I am getting notifications from other people having the issue almost every other day. I decided to compile (300+ comments) the info from that thread and post it here.

Issue Description:
As stated above, this issue occurs sporadically: you can be gaming, editing, or watching a Youtube video, it doesn’t seem to have correlation. On average it will happen once every 3 weeks for me.
When the error occurs, the computer will begin to stutter, your inputs will be extremely jerky/delayed and sometimes the screen will go black with only the cursor displaying. This makes it impossible to use the computer while it occurs.
The issue will sometimes resolve itself (can take from 1 to 15 minutes) and sometimes last too long for it to be worth waiting, meaning I will manually crash my computer.

There seems to be a correlation between having a NVIDIA GPU and an AMD Ryzen CPU, however, (very) few have described the issue happening on a different configuration.

Last time I had the issue: [2020-03-07]
(YYYY,MM,DD).

Event Viewer Error:
Event ID 14 - nvlddmkm
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
\Device\Video3
0cec(3098) 00000000 00000000

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Contacts:
Others and I have attempted contacting both AMD & NVIDIA here is each of their answers (broadly):
AMD: Ensure that you have updated the BIOS and chipset drivers for your motherboard and are using stock settings. They think it's mostly an issue related to the graphic's card. It should be on NVIDIA's side to fix this. It could also be related to this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2665946/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-error-in-windows-7 (which is related to windows 10 as well).
NVIDIA (info from Reddit user u/faildude7): “[...] I contacted with NVIDIA and they told me that is an incompatibility issue that they're aware of it and it's more common with RTX series but it's gonna be hard to fix since it's on AMD's part and should be resolved with a BIOS fix from their part, they told me that it's because the use of virtual threads on multi-threading in Ryzen that doesn't link well with NVIDIA processes.” + “he told me that and it's pretty bad since this error seems like it's 6 years old at least so I don't see them fixing it any time soon, this just was more popular with the RTX series since he told me that it's more common with these graphics but if you search info you can see people complaining for years.”

Fixes
This is a list of attempted and not attempted fixes mentioned by some users from the thread mentioned above. The problem with this issue is also not knowing when the issue will happen. Someone can declare a fix but we don't truly know about whether it works or not after a few months of waiting (as the issue occurs so sporadically). Running generic stress tests will also not make the issue occur.

Attempted Fixes:
  1. RMA (Replace) with the same GPU model. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  2. Update drivers. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  3. Use stock settings. This does not fix the issue. (from AMD)
  4. Disabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (from u/3feetHair)
  5. Enabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  6. Setting your Power Plan to AMD’s “High Performance” (from u/Injuis)
  7. Setting Memory Frequency to the correct frequency through BIOS (from u/NovalAcanthocephala6)
  8. Change your GPU power mode to “Maximum Performance”. NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings -> Power Management mode. Many users have mentioned this working (from u/eatwritelaugh) [fix personally attempted on 2020/04/16]
  9. DDUd and reinstall drivers. This does not fix the issue. (from u/Aravind92)
Potential Fixes:
  1. Update BIOS for Chipset & Motherboard. (This has been attempted by some and didn’t fix the issue, however it could still be a potential fix in the future.)
  2. Reset Windows Power Options (from u/Aravind92)
  3. Disable HW Acceleration in Firefox (from u/Aravind92)
  4. RMA (replacing) with a different PSU. This has apparently fixed the issue for one user, however the user had an intel CPU. (from u/Speedfreakz)
  5. Replacing every component in your computer seems to work (which admittedly is not a fix).
  6. Set your RAM to “Power Down Enabled/mode” to disable and “Gear Down Mode” enabled. (from u/Gigakv)
Other Info compiled from user comments on the previous thread:
  • u/sprousaTM has mentioned this only occurring when the PC is idle.
  • u/ponybeu5 has mentioned changing from a 1080 Strix to a 2080 Super EVGA and then starting getting the issue (with AMD 3900X).
  • u/RafaMarioFan has said the following: Started with this setup: GT1030+ used A320+ ryzen3600 + 500W psu (that doesn't have 80plus), changed to a Galax 1660 and started having the error. Replaced PSU for a Corssair CX 550 (80p bronze) which didn’t fix the error. Went back to the GT1030. Bought a RTX 2060S which caused the issue again. Then changed from A320 to a B450 which didn’t fix the issue.
  • A few users have mentioned the issue only occurring a few months after having their PC built. (I personally don’t remember)
  • u/Civil_Specter has mentioned a fix, however it seems like their issue was occurring consistently when gaming, which is different from what a majority of people are getting and most likely a different issue:
    • Use AMD Ryzen Master to disable SMT (Simultaneous Multi threading)
    • Downloaded a program called Project Lasso to improve gaming performance.
    • Used EVGA Precision X1 software to make a custom GPU profile with “Boost Lock” enabled. Which keeps your GPU from idle.
  • u/Gigakv has provided the following info: Can confirm it's still an issue with Ryzen 3000 + Turing
    • Ryzen 2600 + RTX 2060 - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + GTX 1070 TI - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + RTX 2060 that worked fine with the Ryzen 2600 - GPU crashing when using hardware acceleration \ idle. No issues during gaming or stress testing.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with hardware acceleration.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with the GPU switching from idle to performance mode.
  • u/MBDdk mentioned that the issue might’ve been fixed in the AMD driver update 20-2-2: “Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.”
My Full Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4-3200 [16GB x 4]
PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W80
Case: NZXT H700i ATX Mid Tower
SSD [Windows 10]: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 4TB 3.5” 7200 RPM

List of a portion of reported setups with the issue from the reddit thread:
  • u/faildude7: Ryzen 9 3950X + RTX 2080Ti + G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz + Gigabyte X570 AORUS Pro
  • u/rimokonman: Ryzen 3700X + NVIDIA 2070S
  • u/eatwritelaugh: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2070 Super + Adata 3200mhz 8x2 + MSI B450 Carbon
  • u/sprousaTM: Ryzen 3800X + RTX 2080 + 16GB Trident RAM + 1200watt corsair power supply (+custom watercooling)
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x + MSI Tomohawk B450 Max + gtx 1660 ti + Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz + cm mwe v2 550w + Acer VG240YP.
  • u/QueBugCheckEx: Ryzen 9 3950x + RTX 2080ti
  • u/PentaChicken: Ryzen 5 3600X and RTX 2070 Super
  • u/Skastrike09: Ryzen 3600 + NVidia 2060
  • u/iksargodzilla: ryzen 3700x + rtx 2060 super + tuf gaming x570-plus (wifi) motherboard + 2x8gb ram
  • u/OOO639: 3700x and a 2080 super
  • u/clockwork000: 3900X + 2070S
  • u/ Dyeneks: RTX 2070 Super + Ryzen 7 3700X
  • u/TheChozoKnight: RTX 2080 + Ryzen 7 3700X + Asus X570F Mobo
  • u/impmallet: 2080ti + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 Aurus Elite
  • u/fluidzreddit: Msi trio 2080ti @ stock + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 master (f11 bios). Ram - Crucial ballistix sport 3200 cas 16 @ xmp
  • u/kaimenlau: Ryzen 3950x + rtx 2080 ti
  • u/NovelAcanthocephala6: 3950x + 2080 super
  • u/MBDdk: Ryzen 5 3600 + NVIDIA RTX 1660S
  • u/Speedfreakz: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 1 + Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (TU104-450) @ 300 MHz + Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TBCougar STX 750 power supply.+ 2x 16gb HyperX Predator Rgb memory
  • u/yanboz: 3950X + 2080Ti
  • u/Tounushi: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Super Dual Evo OC + Asus Prime x370-Pro mobo (BIOS v.4801) + 750W power source + AMD R7 3700X + 16GB DDR4 2666MHz (running 2400) + M.2 SSD OS drive + SSD and HDD gaming and storage drives, respectively
  • u/Skastrike09: RTX 2060, Ryzen 5 3600, and X570 AORUS ELITE
  • u/Oren1: Ryzen 5 3600 + Rtx 2060 super
  • u/rickgolds: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2080 + RAM Trident Z with Samsung B-Die
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x, MSI Tomohawk B450 Max, gtx 1660 ti, Corsair Vengence LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz, cm mwe v2 550w, Acer VG240YP.
  • u/MrSheep_: 1660ti + Ryzen 5 3600.
  • u/KM1k92: R9 3900x + RTX 2060 SUPER
  • u/Sanastro: i9 9900k + Zotac 2080ti
  • u/Flush535: 3700X + 2070S
  • u/3feetHair: Ryzen 2700 + GTX 1660
  • u/Sp0KI: 3700x + x470 + 2070
  • u/ThatOneCrazyFriend: 3900X + 2070 Super
  • u/calscks: 3900X + RTX 2080
  • u/hop-limit: 3800x + rtx 2070s
  • And many others…
Reddit thread: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/dnm7pt/event_id_14_nvlddmkm_computer_stutters_2080_ti/

pntn

Commendable
Aug 4, 2020
Intel i9 9900K + nVidia MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Gene reporting in, made an account just so I can comment and share the pain. Dealing with this crap since before April, no BSODs (or very rare), hangups and reboots every now and then when watching Twitch or YouTube. Gaming experience unaffected, rig passes all the tests imaginable. GPU came back from 5(!) weeks of RMA, saying it shows no faults. All details are in my lonely reddit thread.

I only upgraded my motherboard... and it worked fine for two months, then this happened. I'm on an edge, I can't comfortably sit in front of the PC and do anything knowing it can crash any second and is unstable, it's like someone stabs you with a knife, really frustrating. Going to replace PSU as it's still on the line of sight for this problem (12V rail knows when I'm watching twitch, so it decides to cut the power for a while?) and if I crash on a new one, I'm returning it and then I will have made a full cycle. I knew upgrading to ASUS was a bad idea, I said it out loud when I ordered it, but with big money come big problems, apparently. My setup was flawlessly working when I had an MSI board. Possibly only one more month of suffering when checking for PSU faults and then I'm off to the light, switching boards and I'll never ever buy ASUS again.

Edit 05-08:

It's not PSU, like I thought. Ordered a platiunum Seasonic 850W to have no downtime while my current Seasonic would get RMA'd, but I got a random reboot yet again after maybe an hour of uptime.

Last edited:

fluidz

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
I’m curious to see if your systems react the same way as mine. I used to have the event 14 issue, but it hasn’t showed in a long time. I believe a bios update fixed the error/ mouse slowdowns. However, even though I no longer see mouse slowdowns and the screen is no longer turning off, Windows performance in general seems to have degraded. I’m seeing stuttering that seems tied to the nvidia cards performance state fluctuations and it doesn’t help if I reinstall windows.

Before trying the below please make sure your card is set to the default optimal global power plan in Nvidia control panel.

Open latencymon and start logging, have you noticed nvlddmkm.sys 800+ spikes when browsing the web / doing simple things like maximising windows? (Alt and tabbing doesn’t count).

Open gpu-z or afterburner. Does the gpu core and memory clockspeed reading boost to high clock speeds when browsing some webpages in Firefox? If so do you see stuttering when scrolling that webpage that correlates to the clock speed changes?

When forcing the gpu to prefer maximum performance globally in the Nvidia control panel (followed by restarting any open apps) have you noticed that nvlddmkm latency spikes and stutters in the windows environment are decreased or non existent?

In windows 10 v2004 have you seen slowdowns when moving an apps window around the desktop? To elaborate, you’re dragging an app around the desktop, the mouse moves at a normal pace but the window takes time to catch up. You find that lowering the mouse polling rate to 250 fixes it.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020
9 days of no issues gaming 5+ hours a day on adaptive but with it set to max performance in each game individually and finally got another crash. Pretty annoying.

edit: Rebooted and now I'm getting the driver crash just at my desktop not in a game. Switched to max performance for my global settings seems to have fixed it for now.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020
I installed the operating system, no internet. then a chipset from the motherboard manufacturer's website. Everything works correctly

I tried this and within 30 minutes started crashing again. It has gone from once every few weeks to now nearly constant. I'm suspecting my GPU is just dying

Jul 30, 2020
Same issue. When playing stream or video long time with Chrome or Potplayer, the screen is suddenly stuck, I need reset my computer.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B450M-PRO S (BIOS version 2202, agesa 1.0.0.6)
GPU: ASUS 1650 Super
Memory: ADATA DDR4 2666Mhz 16G*2

Windows 10 version 2004 (19041.388)
Driver tested with 442.74 and 451.67

Event ID 14
\Device\Video3
Fixed after change GPU power mode to “Maximum Performance”.

Jul 30, 2020
Went out and bought a new 1650S to replace my 1060 6gb that couldn't even open a youtube video towards the end. Seemed like my problem was fixed by simply replacing the card.

Jul 17, 2020
This thread is for if your issue occurs sporadically and randomly (from once every week(s) to once every month(s)). If you are having the same event ID repeatedly and consistently you do not have the same issue.

PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE QUESTIONS, A FIX OR RELEVANT ADDITIONAL INFO as this will otherwise flood the thread is it did with the previous one. Use the poll instead to add your +1.

Introduction:
This has been a long going thread from Reddit which I was the owner of.
The thread is almost 6 months old, meaning it will most likely archive and I am getting notifications from other people having the issue almost every other day. I decided to compile (300+ comments) the info from that thread and post it here.

Issue Description:
As stated above, this issue occurs sporadically: you can be gaming, editing, or watching a Youtube video, it doesn’t seem to have correlation. On average it will happen once every 3 weeks for me.
When the error occurs, the computer will begin to stutter, your inputs will be extremely jerky/delayed and sometimes the screen will go black with only the cursor displaying. This makes it impossible to use the computer while it occurs.
The issue will sometimes resolve itself (can take from 1 to 15 minutes) and sometimes last too long for it to be worth waiting, meaning I will manually crash my computer.

There seems to be a correlation between having a NVIDIA GPU and an AMD Ryzen CPU, however, (very) few have described the issue happening on a different configuration.

Last time I had the issue: [2020-03-07]
(YYYY,MM,DD).

Event Viewer Error:
Event ID 14 - nvlddmkm
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
\Device\Video3

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Contacts:
Others and I have attempted contacting both AMD & NVIDIA here is each of their answers (broadly):
AMD: Ensure that you have updated the BIOS and chipset drivers for your motherboard and are using stock settings. They think it's mostly an issue related to the graphic's card. It should be on NVIDIA's side to fix this. It could also be related to this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2665946/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-error-in-windows-7 (which is related to windows 10 as well).
NVIDIA (info from Reddit user u/faildude7): “[...] I contacted with NVIDIA and they told me that is an incompatibility issue that they're aware of it and it's more common with RTX series but it's gonna be hard to fix since it's on AMD's part and should be resolved with a BIOS fix from their part, they told me that it's because the use of virtual threads on multi-threading in Ryzen that doesn't link well with NVIDIA processes.” + “he told me that and it's pretty bad since this error seems like it's 6 years old at least so I don't see them fixing it any time soon, this just was more popular with the RTX series since he told me that it's more common with these graphics but if you search info you can see people complaining for years.”

Fixes
This is a list of attempted and not attempted fixes mentioned by some users from the thread mentioned above. The problem with this issue is also not knowing when the issue will happen. Someone can declare a fix but we don't truly know about whether it works or not after a few months of waiting (as the issue occurs so sporadically). Running generic stress tests will also not make the issue occur.

Attempted Fixes:
  1. RMA (Replace) with the same GPU model. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  2. Update drivers. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  3. Use stock settings. This does not fix the issue. (from AMD)
  4. Disabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (from u/3feetHair)
  5. Enabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  6. Setting your Power Plan to AMD’s “High Performance” (from u/Injuis)
  7. Setting Memory Frequency to the correct frequency through BIOS (from u/NovalAcanthocephala6)
  8. Change your GPU power mode to “Maximum Performance”. NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings -> Power Management mode. Many users have mentioned this working (from u/eatwritelaugh) [fix personally attempted on 2020/04/16]
  9. DDUd and reinstall drivers. This does not fix the issue. (from u/Aravind92)
Potential Fixes:
  1. Update BIOS for Chipset & Motherboard. (This has been attempted by some and didn’t fix the issue, however it could still be a potential fix in the future.)
  2. Reset Windows Power Options (from u/Aravind92)
  3. Disable HW Acceleration in Firefox (from u/Aravind92)
  4. RMA (replacing) with a different PSU. This has apparently fixed the issue for one user, however the user had an intel CPU. (from u/Speedfreakz)
  5. Replacing every component in your computer seems to work (which admittedly is not a fix).
  6. Set your RAM to “Power Down Enabled/mode” to disable and “Gear Down Mode” enabled. (from u/Gigakv)
Other Info compiled from user comments on the previous thread:
  • u/sprousaTM has mentioned this only occurring when the PC is idle.
  • u/ponybeu5 has mentioned changing from a 1080 Strix to a 2080 Super EVGA and then starting getting the issue (with AMD 3900X).
  • u/RafaMarioFan has said the following: Started with this setup: GT1030+ used A320+ ryzen3600 + 500W psu (that doesn't have 80plus), changed to a Galax 1660 and started having the error. Replaced PSU for a Corssair CX 550 (80p bronze) which didn’t fix the error. Went back to the GT1030. Bought a RTX 2060S which caused the issue again. Then changed from A320 to a B450 which didn’t fix the issue.
  • A few users have mentioned the issue only occurring a few months after having their PC built. (I personally don’t remember)
  • u/Civil_Specter has mentioned a fix, however it seems like their issue was occurring consistently when gaming, which is different from what a majority of people are getting and most likely a different issue:
    • Use AMD Ryzen Master to disable SMT (Simultaneous Multi threading)
    • Downloaded a program called Project Lasso to improve gaming performance.
    • Used EVGA Precision X1 software to make a custom GPU profile with “Boost Lock” enabled. Which keeps your GPU from idle.
  • u/Gigakv has provided the following info: Can confirm it's still an issue with Ryzen 3000 + Turing
    • Ryzen 2600 + RTX 2060 - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + GTX 1070 TI - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + RTX 2060 that worked fine with the Ryzen 2600 - GPU crashing when using hardware acceleration \ idle. No issues during gaming or stress testing.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with hardware acceleration.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with the GPU switching from idle to performance mode.
  • u/MBDdk mentioned that the issue might’ve been fixed in the AMD driver update 20-2-2: “Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.”
My Full Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4-3200 [16GB x 4]
PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W80
Case: NZXT H700i ATX Mid Tower
SSD [Windows 10]: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 4TB 3.5” 7200 RPM

List of a portion of reported setups with the issue from the reddit thread:
  • u/faildude7: Ryzen 9 3950X + RTX 2080Ti + G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz + Gigabyte X570 AORUS Pro
  • u/rimokonman: Ryzen 3700X + NVIDIA 2070S
  • u/eatwritelaugh: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2070 Super + Adata 3200mhz 8x2 + MSI B450 Carbon
  • u/sprousaTM: Ryzen 3800X + RTX 2080 + 16GB Trident RAM + 1200watt corsair power supply (+custom watercooling)
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x + MSI Tomohawk B450 Max + gtx 1660 ti + Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz + cm mwe v2 550w + Acer VG240YP.
  • u/QueBugCheckEx: Ryzen 9 3950x + RTX 2080ti
  • u/PentaChicken: Ryzen 5 3600X and RTX 2070 Super
  • u/Skastrike09: Ryzen 3600 + NVidia 2060
  • u/iksargodzilla: ryzen 3700x + rtx 2060 super + tuf gaming x570-plus (wifi) motherboard + 2x8gb ram
  • u/OOO639: 3700x and a 2080 super
  • u/clockwork000: 3900X + 2070S
  • u/ Dyeneks: RTX 2070 Super + Ryzen 7 3700X
  • u/TheChozoKnight: RTX 2080 + Ryzen 7 3700X + Asus X570F Mobo
  • u/impmallet: 2080ti + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 Aurus Elite
  • u/fluidzreddit: Msi trio 2080ti @ stock + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 master (f11 bios). Ram - Crucial ballistix sport 3200 cas 16 @ xmp
  • u/kaimenlau: Ryzen 3950x + rtx 2080 ti
  • u/NovelAcanthocephala6: 3950x + 2080 super
  • u/MBDdk: Ryzen 5 3600 + NVIDIA RTX 1660S
  • u/Speedfreakz: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 1 + Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (TU104-450) @ 300 MHz + Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TBCougar STX 750 power supply.+ 2x 16gb HyperX Predator Rgb memory
  • u/yanboz: 3950X + 2080Ti
  • u/Tounushi: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Super Dual Evo OC + Asus Prime x370-Pro mobo (BIOS v.4801) + 750W power source + AMD R7 3700X + 16GB DDR4 2666MHz (running 2400) + M.2 SSD OS drive + SSD and HDD gaming and storage drives, respectively
  • u/Skastrike09: RTX 2060, Ryzen 5 3600, and X570 AORUS ELITE
  • u/Oren1: Ryzen 5 3600 + Rtx 2060 super
  • u/rickgolds: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2080 + RAM Trident Z with Samsung B-Die
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x, MSI Tomohawk B450 Max, gtx 1660 ti, Corsair Vengence LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz, cm mwe v2 550w, Acer VG240YP.
  • u/MrSheep_: 1660ti + Ryzen 5 3600.
  • u/KM1k92: R9 3900x + RTX 2060 SUPER
  • u/Sanastro: i9 9900k + Zotac 2080ti
  • u/Flush535: 3700X + 2070S
  • u/3feetHair: Ryzen 2700 + GTX 1660
  • u/Sp0KI: 3700x + x470 + 2070
  • u/ThatOneCrazyFriend: 3900X + 2070 Super
  • u/calscks: 3900X + RTX 2080
  • u/hop-limit: 3800x + rtx 2070s
  • And many others…
Reddit thread: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/dnm7pt/event_id_14_nvlddmkm_computer_stutters_2080_ti/
I have the same issue as well - RTX2080 ti aorus xtreme 11gb, 3900xt, aorus x570, gskill 32gb. The issue seems to have been coming back every week or every 3/4 day.
Today my pc crashed and I had to revisit bios...
I have seen that since the last time this happened i only had enabled 1usmus plan and I had enabled on bios this
Global C-state Control = Enabled
Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle
CPPC = Enabled
CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled
AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled
PPC Adjustment = PState 0

Now it seems the problem came back as soon as I enabled all these (doenst matter which power plan)

I hope it helps as it seems to have fixed my problem. Its AMD side for sure..

pntn

Commendable
Aug 4, 2020
Just throwing that out here - I'm using two monitors and out of desperation and because I haven't made any significant fixes after last ones failed to fix the problem, I switched out the DisplayPort of questionable quality of my second monitor for more reputable one that I know I was using and was just okay. I have also disabled Nvidia HD Audio device in Device Manager - I am on my 5th or 6th day of no crash, I wasn't able to sustain such a long uptime since start of the issues, but then again, I might just got lucky and haven't crashed yet.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
I seem to have just gotten an event 14 nvlddmkm after about 6 weeks today, but I was mid game and didn't notice anything, just as a routine check went into event viewer and found it there. also, another thing, I seem to have had nvlddmkm stopped responding and recovered message for days back with event 4101. Again, pc was fine.

I am on AGESA 1.0.0.6 and low power state turned off in windows power options. I don't know anymore. Going to follow up on my nvidia case.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
I have the same issue as well - RTX2080 ti aorus xtreme 11gb, 3900xt, aorus x570, gskill 32gb. The issue seems to have been coming back every week or every 3/4 day.
Today my pc crashed and I had to revisit bios...
I have seen that since the last time this happened i only had enabled 1usmus plan and I had enabled on bios this
Global C-state Control = Enabled
Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle
CPPC = Enabled
CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled
AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled
PPC Adjustment = PState 0

Now it seems the problem came back as soon as I enabled all these (doenst matter which power plan)

I hope it helps as it seems to have fixed my problem. Its AMD side for sure..

I am sorry, Could you eloborate what should be done in BIOS.

Aug 13, 2020
Hey, I've been having this issue.

It mostly occurs after 6+ hours of use. The only time it crashed after ~2 hours after startup is when I had two videos paused, and was playing a third.

It also happens while watching a video in chrome, or leaving one video on pause and playing another (YouTube, Zoom videos, videos on Twitter). I've recently started using Adobe Lightroom and it crashes sometimes while using that.

This time I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in. I managed to recover without having to press the reset button.

Only tried this once and it worked. I'm not sure if it works in all cases. Not a fix, but temporary solution that may prevent losing unsaved work.

Jul 28, 2020
I have the same problem on my new build. I get the crash about once per week.
It only happens when a game is running, it never happened while idle or browsing the web.
The mouse starts to lag, the screen starts freezing, the game will often crash then the screen goes black.
It can recover automatically but most of the time I just restart the computer because it takes a while.

The Event Viewer reports the event 14 from nvlddmkm, then a bunch of related errors.

DltYfg1.png

• Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • G.Skill RipJaws 5 32 Go (2 x 16 Go) DDR4 3600 MHz CL16 (XMP enabled)
  • ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER ROG-STRIX-RTX2070S-O8G-GAMING
I tried to change the Power Management mode "Maximum Performance" today, I will report back by editing this message if it worked.

Here's an update, 15 days later.
I couldn't figure out how to edit my message, either I'm blind or it's not possible.

I didn't get a single crash since the Power Management is configured to "Maximum Performance".

pntn

Commendable
Aug 4, 2020
Update from Intel user as well - I just got a DPC Watchdog error (found out upon debugging memory dumps) and PC froze and restarted itself. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do anymore, I don't even know where to look for faults, I minimized window with a Twitch video playing on a second screen.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
It just happened again, I am afraid it is becoming more frequent now. What should I do? I was in a game Rainbow six siege this time too, but I think it is not locking up anymore, the game just when I finished a round and went to menu, again when lowering clocks.

The game crashed, event viewer shows the error, I could use the pc again, didn't have to restart the computer, just opened the game again and it worked.

Aug 4, 2020
Went over a week without incident, was actually thinking how there hasnt been a black screen in a while and it happened, so it could be a curse rather than a software issue. In all seriousness though, this time it occured on start up as I was logging in, also happened again when using Discord. Still has not occurred when using intensive programs like Premiere Pro, Photoshop, After Effects, Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter and Unreal Engine.

Specs:

CPU - i7 -9700
Memory - 32GB DDR4 SDRAM
GPU - MSI RTX 2070 SUPER Ventus OC
Motherboard - MSI B360I GAMING PRO AC (MS-7B31)

Error Message (same every time):

\Device\Video3
0d02(31c8) 00000000 00000000

Jul 16, 2020
So I wanted to post a follow up to my experience with this exact issue regarding my earlier posts.

Recently, my OS SSD died on me, forcing me to finally reinstall Windows 10, which put me on the latest version of 2004. Ever since reinstalling Windows and upgrading to version 2004, I have not once experienced this issue. It's been a little over two weeks, and I've put the system through some serious stress tests.
My hardware config remains the same except the boot SSD.

I am still taking this one day at a time, as I'm still uncertain if the issue will reappear out of nowhere during daily use. But it seems the fresh install + Windows 10 2004 has cleared up the problem for me.

Jul 8, 2020
About 2 weeks seems to be the magic number for me. I was just browsing with Opera browser when it happened. Couldn't tell if it was because I just updated to win ver 2004, or if it was because today I happened to use my PC for a much longer period than I usually did and thus the chance of it happening was higher (never used the PC for more than 7h usually.)

Symptom this time around was similar to aravind's video, but not quite. I could open task manager and switch between the tabs there (but the numbers and charts weren't updating). I could also click on the windows button and it would instantaneously open the menu, though clicking on the power button does nothing (or maybe I just didn't wait long enough). I could also ctrl+alt+del with ease. It was just that I couldn't do anything except close already running applications or switch between them. Trying to restart with ctrl+alt+del gave me a looping circle animation (but not choppy), which gave me no choice but to reset manually. It could just be windows derping out, or it could be MSI afterburner (right clicking on MSI afterburner on the hidden icons did nothing, but right clicking on nvidia control panel worked.) Curiously enough, task manager showed up 100% utilization and -1% utilization at 38c at the GPU tab. This suggests to me that it happened while the GPU is switching power states.

Still on driver 451.48 and hardware acceleration scheduling is disabled. Nothing on event viewer this time.

Diceman_2037

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
It just happened again, I am afraid it is becoming more frequent now. What should I do? I was in a game Rainbow six siege this time too, but I think it is not locking up anymore, the game just when I finished a round and went to menu, again when lowering clocks.

The game crashed, event viewer shows the error, I could use the pc again, didn't have to restart the computer, just opened the game again and it worked.

RMA the cpu of course.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
RMA the cpu of course.

That is my next plan, however, given the COVID situation and the fact that I have to use this pc for work everyday, can't affor to do it now, changed the nvcp power plan to max performance now.

Also, On a nvidia thread where you've responded the guy said he rma'd both his cpu and mainboard and continued to face issues, are all the Ryzen chips faulty then.

jerbae

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
Just built a new PC, 3900X, 2070 Super (which worked fine for a year in my old Intel 6700K system), 32 GB Ripjaws memory 3600 Mhz, Aorus Master X570, fresh windows 10 install.

Latest GPU drivers, latest BIOS update. Only thing I've changed is enabled XMP profile for my memory.

I think I had this problem yesterday. Was just clicking around in file explorer, and my screen went black for a few seconds. I found the event id 14 in Reliability Report and Event Viewer.

Been driving me crazy. Have been trying to reproduce it by stressing the system (Superposition Benchmark, Furmark, gaming), but reading this thead, I've been chasing this the wrong way, since it's unlikely to happen under load.

I'm considering the "prefer maximum performance" setting, but my GPU idle temps go up quite a bit with it.

Jul 3, 2020
Seems like my issues fixed by latest bios update and/or latest gpu driver update
7C37v1A

Motherboard: Msi x570 gaming edge wifi
Cpu: ryzen 3600
Gpu: rtx 2070 super kfa2 black edition

nvidia driver 452.06

Status
Not open for further replies.