Question hard drive showing up as cd drive after windows 10 update

Jun 23, 2021
so yesterday I decided to update my pc from windows 10 1903 to windows 10 21h1, slight problem is that my internal hard drive is not showing up anymore, It shows up in my bios at the correct sata port but in windows it shows up as cd drive. (also tried to put it in a diffrent sata port, same problem)

I had this problem before and the way I solved it was to go back to the older version and it showed up again, I could do that again but I'd rather stay on the latest version of windows.

Jun 23, 2021
unknown.png

Jun 23, 2021
And what Device Manager says about that missing drive?
Under the tab disk drives is INTEL SSDPEKKWG7 (my m.2 drive)
Under the tab other devices is Serial ATA Controller (I manually downloaded that after deleting all my other drivers and it still not showing up after reboot)
Under the tab storage controllers is Intel(R) NVMe Controller and Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller

I got told before to delete all drivers that could be my hard drive controller so I did but still nothing is showing up

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
how would I do that, diskpart is not showing me anything either
(quick edit)
trying to format the volume does nothing

Based on those images, your "CD-Rom" looks very much like it is, a CD drive (either physical or virtually mounted ISO)

The fact it's showing up in the BIOS, but not in Windows is very strange. You mentioned trying in different SATA ports..... Did you try various different SATA ports?

While it makes no sense, I have seen a drive appear in the BIOS under SATA #0 (for example), when that port shares bandwidth with an M.2 slot and, for all intents & purposes, was disabled. Might be the case here, but if you've tried in multiple SATA ports, you'd be extremely unlucky to have tried two that were disabled.

Jun 23, 2021
You already tried different SATA ports right? Please check different SATA cable and power cable. I'm afraid we may have a dead drive case here.
I tried plugging it into all 4 available SATA ports, tried a diffrent SATA cable and power cable (even though it was probably fine because the problem only showed up after a windows update and would reappear after going back to the previous update) and if I put it in my brothers pc it's showing up again and I can read/write to it so the drive isn't dead

Reactions: DRagor
Jun 23, 2021
Based on those images, your "CD-Rom" looks very much like it is, a CD drive (either physical or virtually mounted ISO)

The fact it's showing up in the BIOS, but not in Windows is very strange. You mentioned trying in different SATA ports..... Did you try various different SATA ports?

While it makes no sense, I have seen a drive appear in the BIOS under SATA #0 (for example), when that port shares bandwidth with an M.2 slot and, for all intents & purposes, was disabled. Might be the case here, but if you've tried in multiple SATA ports, you'd be extremely unlucky to have tried two that were disabled.
Yep I tried unmounting it, didn't work, I think it's seeing that there's some sort of device connected to it but that it doesn't know what to do with it.

I tried plugging it into SATA port 1-4 (5 and 6 are disabled because of my m.2)