Question Having bluescreen crashes after switching to MSI mainboard

Sep 14, 2019
Hi,

so i thought i would upgrade my pc over the holidays, since my old rig had some problems. (one of the memory channels stopped working)

But after i had set everything up i ran into some problems which result in constant crashing.

What i had before:

-16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill Value DDR4-2133 DIMM CL15-15-15-35 Dual Kit

-Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P Intel Z170 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail

-Intel Core i5 6600K 4x 3.50GHz So.1151 WOF

-6GB PNY GeForce GTX 1060 XLR8 OC GAMING Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 1xDVI / 1xHDMI 2.0 / 3xDisplayPort (Retail)

-some old used psu

What i bought for the upgrade:

-AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6x 3.60GHz So.AM4 BOX

-MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX AMD B450 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail

-500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 Non-Modular 80+ Gold

PC that i built:

-AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6x 3.60GHz So.AM4 BOX

-MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX AMD B450 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail

-6GB PNY GeForce GTX 1060 XLR8 OC GAMING Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 1xDVI / 1xHDMI 2.0 / 3xDisplayPort (Retail)

-16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill Value DDR4-2133 DIMM CL15-15-15-35 Dual Kit

-500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 Non-Modular 80+ Gold

I started by cloning my windows 7 hdd to make a backup. Then i ran sysprep and built the hdd into the new pc.

After realizing that windows 7 is not compatible to ryzen 3000 i upgraded the system to windows 10.

After that the system ran fine for about an hour until while i was setting everything up the first bluescreen crash occured, i believe it was when i unplugged something from an usb hub.

The only way i could get it to run from then on was booting from the windows 10 hdd in safe mode, but i havent tried that in a while since changing the software (drivers etc) didnt do anything.

The crashes seemed to be getting worse no matter what i did.

After some troubleshooting i realized that my memory was probably too old or simply not compatible. So i bought this kit here:

Ballistix Sport LT Weiß 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 UDIMM

https://www.crucial.de/deu/de/bls2k8g4d30aesck

However, using this memory didnt change anything.

The status right now is that the pc will crash with a bluescreen (mainly "page fault in nonpaged area") when doing basically anything that is related to an os.

I have tested this with:

1.booting from the upgraded windows 10 hdd

result: random bs after/while logging in or while loading the os

2.booting from an usb 3.0 windows 10 stick with an empty hdd (no partitions) (tried usb 2.0 and 3.0 slots)

result: random bs when loading setup

3.booting from an usb 3.0 windows 10 stick without any hdd (tried usb 2.0 and 3.0 slots)

result: random bs when loading setup

4. booting from ubuntuu on a 16gb ssd i have lying around

result: some kernel panic error while loading os (sry im not really that familiar with linux)

(windows 10 usb stick created with medai creation tool 1903)

The constant bluscreens especially when booting from a windows 10 usb stick lead me to believe that there is a problem with the hardware.

I read that page fault error bluescreens can be caused by faulty ram so checked both kits repeatedly but they both run fine in my old rig.

I also tried using the windows 10 usb stick to install windows on the empty hdd in my old rig and its doing everything as it should so far.

Is there something software related i can still try?

Or is either my new mainboard or the new cpu somehow damaged?

I never had so much trouble building a pc and im actually quite lost here i dont know what else to do so im happy about any suggestions.

D

Deleted member 14196

Have you ever clean installed windows after the update? It doesn’t look like you did and that’s probably the issue

Also it looks like you’re mixing RAM which is a big no-no

Sep 14, 2019
To clarify,
i never put in sticks from both memory kits at the same time
the bluescreens happen even when starting the setup to install windows from a stick (i even remade the install usb stick)