[SOLVED] Having problems With GPU , I think

Sean_41

Reputable
Feb 17, 2016
So here is my problem every so often my screens will go white, Black, Green all of the above first few times complete freeze up so I reset PC , Other times screen will change and after 20 sec or so will come back , Once when it changed and came back my audio was changed to the monitor and not my headset.

here is an image of all the wonderful color options I've been getting https://ibb.co/0fSNhxZ

There is no particular time when this happens seems to be random.
If you need more information please let me know.

Setup :
I7-7700k
32 GB DDR4-4133
EVGA Geforce GTX1080 TI FTW3
Asus Maximus IX Formula ATX LGA 1151 Moba
Predator X34 Monitor

Solution
I would look at cleaning the gpu heatsink and replace the thermal paste. While you are doing that maybe look at applying new paste to the cpu as well.
Another good idea would be to ddu your drivers entirely in safe mode.
The audio flipping like it did might be driver related. The driver issue could be related to gpu overheating, I had an issue like this with a card, what I described above is how I fixed it. I did use different driver removal software though.
Hey there,

Have you got an overclock on the GPU or running stock? If there's an OC, take it off and try again. (Not talking about factory OC settings)

Have you tried a different cable/port on the GPU? It's worth checking to be sure. Otherwise, it could be the GPU failing.

What temps is the GPU hitting under load? Notice fans spinning up irregularly?

Have you taken the GPU out of it's socket, cleaned socket (compressed air) and reseat GPU? If the GPU is old, you can check contacts for any corrosion or damp looking marks.

Sean_41

Reputable
Feb 17, 2016
No OC , Temps seem to be fine Although i had EVGA Precision up and when one of the changes happened it did show full drops in GPU clock Here is an image https://ibb.co/XkLfnWP , No issues with fans and yes I took GPU out and reseated it one of the first things I tried.

I would look at cleaning the gpu heatsink and replace the thermal paste. While you are doing that maybe look at applying new paste to the cpu as well.
Another good idea would be to ddu your drivers entirely in safe mode.
The audio flipping like it did might be driver related. The driver issue could be related to gpu overheating, I had an issue like this with a card, what I described above is how I fixed it. I did use different driver removal software though.

Solution