[SOLVED] Hdd making noise and not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2020
Hey everyone. My hdd started making noise after a power outage and it won't start. It's a WD5000aaks. Here's how it sounds
View: https://youtu.be/A7Z35nVM5hg

Can anyone explain to me what's causing that noise and could it be fixed? I don't want to lose all my data

Solution
That drive is toast. You can clearly (in the second recording) hear that the head mechanism is stuck. There is nothing you can do to fix this. If the data is that important then prepare to pay handsomely for a recovery service. And, keep in mind that recovery is never guaranteed. This is exactly why backups are preached. A drive can fail at any time, no matter how old/new.

Do NOT open the drive thinking that you can clear the fault. You will only render recovery near impossible due to contamination.
The time to worry about your data is BEFORE things like this happen. Where is your most current backup?

As for the sound, your recording is extremely low quality and it's hard to determine anything from it. However, it does sound like the head is constantly seeking.

Jun 8, 2020
The time to worry about your data is BEFORE things like this happen. Where is your most current backup?

As for the sound, your recording is extremely low quality and it's hard to determine anything from it. However, it does sound like the head is constantly seeking.
I know it's my fault. I should've made a backup a long time ago but I never thought this would happen. I don't know if this is better quality or not but please any help or advice is appreciated
View: https://youtu.be/kuuPy5wMhRg

That drive is toast. You can clearly (in the second recording) hear that the head mechanism is stuck. There is nothing you can do to fix this. If the data is that important then prepare to pay handsomely for a recovery service. And, keep in mind that recovery is never guaranteed. This is exactly why backups are preached. A drive can fail at any time, no matter how old/new.

Do NOT open the drive thinking that you can clear the fault. You will only render recovery near impossible due to contamination.

Reactions: Karadjgne
Solution
Jun 8, 2020

Yeah I watched some YouTube videos about that and thought I could try fixing it myself but now after what you told me, I'm not sure. I'm literally in tears right now

USAFRet

Titan
I know it's my fault. I should've made a backup a long time ago but I never thought this would happen. I don't know if this is better quality or not but please any help or advice is appreciated
You don't make backups 'once'.
You do that all the time. Like...every day. Seriously.

Always operate on the principle that your drive and/or its data can be gone in the next 0.25 sec.
A dead drive (like this one), or clicking on ransomware, or whatever.
Backups are the only true way to protect what is important.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I guess I learned that the hard way. I wish there was a way to fix it though.

Like sir USAFRet says, you don't simple let it happen twice. Don't feel sorry for yourself, it happens to everyone. I have my work data gone once, but you can do is either have an external backup (safer) or cloud backup (no sweat but less safer and prone to hacking). I'm using Google Backup and Sync to backup my project files automatically each and everytime I save (just for 1 folder/library tho, backing up whole PC is costly). Just don't include sensitive data like banking information and similar stuff just to be safe. Another option for that is having multiple drives at once, many people do that just in case 1 drive fail, there's more left.

Jun 8, 2020
Like sir USAFRet says, you don't simple let it happen twice. Don't feel sorry for yourself, it happens to everyone. I have my work data gone once, but you can do is either have an external backup (safer) or cloud backup (no sweat but less safer and prone to hacking). I'm using Google Backup and Sync to backup my project files automatically each and everytime I save (just for 1 folder/library tho, backing up whole PC is costly). Just don't include sensitive data like banking information and similar stuff just to be safe. Another option for that is having multiple drives at once, many people do that just in case 1 drive fail, there's more left.
I'm thinking about using an external backup next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.