Question Headphone advice for music & occasional gaming

baran2411

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2016
I recently graduated so I wanted to upgrade my current wireless headphone (JBL Everest 700) for everyday use, listening to a lot of music, and occasionally gaming (cs:go), all at my desktop setup.
  • The music that I listen to is Rap and R&B, I do like me some bass and I absolutely listen to the genres because of the production and background sounds.
  • The JBL headphone that I had was fine, however, I do not know else. My friends often say that I do not hear any directional sounds in games, and the headphone might be the cause of it. Music is also fine.
  • I do not have an AMP or a DAC, and dont know if I want them.
  • My budget is around €800, but for the perfect setup, this could change.
  • I already have a modmic wireless, so I would not need a headset with a mic particularly.
After browsing around I found a lot of options, for example, the B&O H95, BW PX8, or the Focal Bathys. However, I have found that these could be a bit more tedious on my head after using them for extended periods of time. For this reason, I started to look into buying two headphones, one for gaming and one for music.

For example, a (open) wired option to use while gaming like the Beyerdynamic DT 880 or HD660S, and then the B&O H95 for music and everyday use.

I am a bit scared though spending so much money on the H95 while the parts are not really replaceable. I would of course like to use it for the upcoming 10 years. But I do love the sound & build quality, and the metal case it comes with.

What other options should I look into? or is there a single headphone out there that would meet all my requirements? I am fine with having two separate headphones if that would get higher quality for music & gaming. I love the free feeling of having wireless headphones, however, if I must sacrifice that feeling to have better quality and longevity, I would have to make a choice for that.

wanted to upgrade my current wireless headphone
if you are planning on purchasing online i would recommend personally visiting some electronics retailers, computer shops, etc and trying on some different types to get a better feel of what's out there.

my first few sets i bought based on reviews and specs without any hands on feel.
ended up with some slightly uncomfortable versions because i didn't know exactly what ear-type and weight to really look for for my own preferences.