Heatsinks that can clear vengeance ram

PuzzyFandas

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Title says it all. I need a good cpu cooler that doesn't have ram issues with asrock extreme4 z68 and corsair vengeance ram.. It'll be for a 2500k going to about 4.6-4.8... have searched on web but I haven't found any pictures or anything :??:

Solution

Read your manual, the asus p8p67 pro uses slot 2 and 4 for dual channel and guess what? my hyper 212+ don't reach them, I will probably replace my hyper 212+ with a water cooler when the time comes that I need more RAM.

I am at 4.3ghz with the Hyper 212+ and it will be fine with the vengeance in slot 2 and 4 cause that's what I have.
Why you looking for tall heatsinks ? Be aware that these tall heatsinks are a "style" remnant of the ole days when these tall heatsinks actually served a function. Today's RAM doesn't need the extra cooling and, testing shows that removing them can actually improve performance in some cases. I'd stick w/ low profile RAM and, if ya have the budget to pay more for RAM, invest the extra moola in lower CAS settings.

If it's a "stylistic" choice, as one function the tall heat sinks do serve is they "look cool", and ya stuck on the Vengeance, then I'd look at the Prolimatech Genesis or the self contained air coolers. The Antec 620 / 920 toast the equivalent models from Corsair. The 920 betas the H70 by 4.7C (both quite noisy) and the 620 beats the H50 by 7.2C and is actually very quiet. Be aware that they can be problematic in MoBos w/ 3 or more PCI-E slots (radiator hits top GFX card).

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=721&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=5
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=694&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=4

On a side note be aware that the Asrock Z68 only provides a paltry 1 year warranty compared with the industry standard 3 years offered by Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc on their Z68 boards.

PuzzyFandas

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hmm... Seem I've trapped myself in a bit because my friend already had the ram on hand for me but I don't really want to go buy some ram... Tbh the tower isn't a style thing I'm just looking for a good air cooler that can work these darn vengeances =.=

PuzzyFandas

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Thanks ComputerNugget, But I might just go with a 212+ for now then get something like an Antec Kuhler h2o 620... And btw I was thinking I could just get a cooler that only covers the first ram slot, because you can run by only using slots 2 and 4 right? I'm only going to have dual channel ram. Does using 2 and 4 have a disadvantage over 1 and 3.

newbie1992

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

Read your manual, the asus p8p67 pro uses slot 2 and 4 for dual channel and guess what? my hyper 212+ don't reach them, I will probably replace my hyper 212+ with a water cooler when the time comes that I need more RAM.

I am at 4.3ghz with the Hyper 212+ and it will be fine with the vengeance in slot 2 and 4 cause that's what I have.

Solution

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

i thought that ivy bridge was on socket lga 2011?