Nathd

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
Specs

Ryzen 7 1700

Gigabyte Windforce RX 480 8gb

Corsair Vengeance 8gb 2400mHZ DDR4

Samsung 860 EVO 500gb SSD

Hi, I've got an issue with my PC and I think I've narrowed it down to my CPU cache.

The last few months I've been experiencing some instability with my PC while running more intensive games such as Modern Warfare and Battlefield. Less intensive tasks such as CSGO have no issues. The games usually run fine for maybe 10 minutes then out of nowhere the frame rate drops to about 1-2 fps, the audio goes all robot-like and about 2 seconds later, completely freezes the system to the point where I have to kill the PC with the power button. There is never any other sign of bad performance, eg. rising temps (CPU and GPU operate at normal temps), weird noises, just that weird freezing process.

I recently did a fresh Windows install to fix it but the issue still exists.

I ran AIDA64 and did individual stress tests for each category and they all ran fine for 10 minutes except for the cache test which froze my PC after 26 seconds. I ran it for a second time which after 12 seconds it came up red and told me that it had stopped the stress test due to imminent hardware failure.

A few months ago my old HDD was failing and froze my PC in a similar fashion leaving me to turn it off using the power button. Would this damage my CPU and lead to problems like this?

Was wondering if you guys could shed more light onto the issue and/or could tell me how to proceed. Also tell me if I'm wrong.

Thanks a lot in advance. Any advice or experience helps heaps.

Solution
If I had to make a guess I would go with the PSU as being the problem...it sounds like once the PSU internals get a certain level of power draw on them and heat up they are failing. Do you get any noise like coil whine from the PSU when you put the system under heavy load ?
What type, size, and how old is your power supply ?

What you're describing sounds more like a temperature induced failure since the issue only presents under heavy load. If the cpu cache was bad I would expect it to just be bad all the time.

Are you overclocked ?

Nathd

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
What type, size, and how old is your power supply ?

What you're describing sounds more like a temperature induced failure since the issue only presents under heavy load. If the cpu cache was bad I would expect it to just be bad all the time.

Are you overclocked ?
No the CPU has never been overclocked. The CPU idles at 45C and at 100% load it goes to 78C. This is pretty normal for Ryzen. The PSU is a coolermaster 600w 80+ (non bronze) and its like 3-4 years old, the same as the PC

If I had to make a guess I would go with the PSU as being the problem...it sounds like once the PSU internals get a certain level of power draw on them and heat up they are failing. Do you get any noise like coil whine from the PSU when you put the system under heavy load ?

Solution