HELP! My computer freezes without warning

BlackWyvern3

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK, I am mad, I am very mad at my computer. Ever since I paid 1100 bucks to upgrade it several months ago, I have had nothing but problems with it. I fixed most of them through the BIOS settings, however I think there is a bad apple in my bunch of parts. My system is like this:
KT7 Raid mobo
generic 256 meg CL 2 PC 133 ram
generic 8 gig harddrive(2.5 years old)
Hercules GE Force 2 MX AGP
Athlon 1.1 ghz processor

Ok, I am at my wits end. I have tried everything. Ok, let me explain my problem in full. I often run computer programs on internet chess servers. I run catcher_in_the_rye on chess.net Anyhow, chess engines occupy a lot of ram and are constantly accessing the ram to look at hash tables for moves. Hash tables occupy 128 megs of ram at all times and even more when searching extensions on moves. Often at the height of searching for a move it will just freeze on me. No warning or anything, it just freeses out of nowhere. But, under heavy load isnt the only time it will freeze on me. Often when I first turn the computer on, I will go to the start menu to gte to some programs and while selecting a program from the drop down menu it will even freeze then. The freezes are so random that it makes it harder than heck to find a solution.
Also, I dont think processor heat is an issue as my processor tops out at about 50 degrees under full load and rests at about 28-30 when idle. Does anybody know what the problem could be? Oh yeah, I am running windows 98 SE

Perhaps it could be from an old harddrive?

seether

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
I don't think that random freezes are very often caused by hard drives. Often times they can actually be attributed to RAM issues. You did, after all, say "generic" RAM. This is just a guess, but usually the first place I start with random, seemingly non-OS related freezes.

IM: NHLPenguins68

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd look at the RAM first. Borrow or buy some better quality RAM and give it a try.

Generic RAM can sometimes be a good buy, or it can be a nightmare.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
You could try , first to drop the Latency to 3 and see what it happens!

And 50 degrees , even at full load its too much!

"I´m Going Down!...Down!Down!Down!Down!Down!" - Joe Satriani in G3 Live

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Generic Ram is never a good buy , even if it costs less,
there´s always a problem with its performance!

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I really don't agree with that. I know many people who swear by generic RAM.

The performance of generic is often just fine. The problem is that it can be hit or miss, whereas with name-brand you know it will be good.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Exactly my point!

Generic Ram is a Russian Roulet that you´ll always end up losing!

Better go for the brand Ram, than play with your money!
Even if its expensive you know that you have the best!

G

Yeap.. I think it's the point

>>you´ll always end up losing!<<

not always but if you know you are using a chipset and/or board that's known for being finicky in terms of memory, then you are increasing your chances of problems.

There are undoubtedly KT7 Raid users who use Generic and have no complaints.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Well , but can they get the most of their generic Ram?
I don´t think so!
If you ever tried to overclock your memory you know i´m right!

G

it's not the point..

I'm not debating the better quality of certain brand X memory

I'm just saying always "usually never" applies. :)

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

G

Some good posts here ...

BlackWyvern3, 50 degrees is getting up there, but should still be ok. Typically when everything freezes, it's cpu. Memory usually gives some type of error code. But I guess if it's bad enough, it'll freeze too and probably wouldn't even boot.

I had similar problems with my KT7, but it would just freeze momentarily. It did this especially when playing games. The latest Abit bios kt7_ww, seems to address memory issues among others. I put it on my pc and no more momentary freezing. So it worked great for me and might do the same for you.

Beware though, they put this stupid thing in to check fan speed (instead of temperature). So you got to have a fan that has the third wire and it must be connected to the correct header.