Question HELP!! RX580 MAY HAVE BRICKED? POSSIBLE BAD BIOS.

Dec 12, 2020
Hi everyone. This is my first post in this forum.
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600xt
GPU: sapphire rx580 nitro+ 8gb
MOBO: ASUS prime B450 A
Ram: Corsair vengeance lpx 8gb x 2
PSU: Corsair cx 450

Was having issues with my GPU. The fan readings were back to front. At 0% they would run at 3000rpm and at 100% they would run at 0rpm. If I increased the percentage? The rpm would go down respectively.

tried everything until I got to updating bios which I attempted.
Now I think I’ve bricked the gpu as I foolishly updated both bios. The gpu now gives me black screen on boot with no power to my keyboard or mouse either.

I can’t access my bios again because ryzen chips don’t have integrated graphics and I can’t see what’s happening on the screen. Probably nothing though by the sounds of it.
PLEASE HELP

From what I’ve read the only hope at this point is to install the gpu in another pc with an AMD gpu. You should be able to update your broken gpu’s BIOS while using the good gpu for display. As a rule of thumb don’t mess gpu VBIOS’s as there is a big risk of bricking the card.

Dec 12, 2020
From what I’ve read the only hope at this point is to install the gpu in another pc with an AMD gpu. You should be able to update your broken gpu’s BIOS while using the good gpu for display. As a rule of thumb don’t mess gpu VBIOS’s as there is a big risk of bricking the card.

yeah lesson learned. Kicking myself. I’ve got another MOBO with an Athlon 880k, but aren’t the bios stored on the gpu? Won’t i just get the same results if I plug this card into another MOBO?

The BIOS is on the gpu. You use the other gpu for display with the broken gpu in another pcie x16 slot. You should be able to update the bios on the broken gpu while using the good gpu for display.

Caveat. I’ve never needed to do this, I’ve only read about it.

Dec 12, 2020
I thought about this as an option yes, and I think it’s one that I’ll try and go for. The boy thing is, finding a MOBO with two slots is quite rare around my parts. So frustrating I’ve got an old r7 series GPU right here too.

Dec 12, 2020
The BIOS is on the gpu. You use the other gpu for display with the broken gpu in another pcie x16 slot. You should be able to update the bios on the broken gpu while using the good gpu for display.

Caveat. I’ve never needed to do this, I’ve only read about it.

Any idea about the original problem? The fans showing backwards readings?

Dec 12, 2020
Drilled the side of the PSIE1 off... used it to mount the bricked GPU, put another older GPU in the PCIe16 slot as a display port.... computer recognised both GPUsz... was able to flash correct bios of bricked card...

I don’t recommend doing this