groaning_pigeon

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
I have a FX-6300 (stock cooler), an RX-570, and a single case fan, so my PC gets pretty hot. I just tore down some old E-waste servers and got some beefy fans, I can drill holes and add dust filters anywhere in the case (Its also just an e-waste junk case), so where should I mount them? I have 90mm, 120mm, and 180mm fans. Would placing one on the side facing my cpu cooler help it? or maybe one sucking air out of the top? Positive or negative pressure? Any advice is appreciated! thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
You should have the fans orientation in your case be from front to back, with intake up front and exhaust out the back. Then there's the matter about the size of the case and the clearances you have for your hardware in your chassis.

Mind sharing the make and model of your case or at least a picture of the construct of the case to better gauge the options for fan placements. What you're doing is by definition, modding but please be aware that adding fans to a case sometimes can be detrimental to the airflow of the case and the thermals. To note, you need to be careful how you drill hole onto a heatsink with copper heatpipes, since the liquid in them will leak and render them useless when broken or pierced.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Really could use some pics, especially of those 'beefy' fans. Many fans for servers aren't standard case fans, they'll have a 6pin connector and can even look like 2 fans back to back or 2 fans that look like they are opposite. Servers have limited space usually, so often end up with extreme high static pressure fans, that run extreme high rpm, Delta server fans can top 8000 rpm and sound like a miniature jet engine in takeoff.

So before any case modding, might want to see if the fans are actually usable, and livable.

IF the fans are compatible, chances are the only place that'll handle a 180mm fan is the side panel. If anything I'd mount that there and run it at low rpm, under 500ish. That will move plenty of air into the case without totally blowing out the airflow stream. The 120mm I'd stick low front at higher rpm, 700+, and use it to move the block of air from the 180mm under the gpu. The 90/92mm I'd stick right up next to the other case exhaust, possibly at the top rear as supplementary exhaust, create a larger low pressure spot in that corner, help the intake air move in that direction.

groaning_pigeon

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
Really could use some pics, especially of those 'beefy' fans. Many fans for servers aren't standard case fans, they'll have a 6pin connector and can even look like 2 fans back to back or 2 fans that look like they are opposite. Servers have limited space usually, so often end up with extreme high static pressure fans, that run extreme high rpm, Delta server fans can top 8000 rpm and sound like a miniature jet engine in takeoff.

So before any case modding, might want to see if the fans are actually usable, and livable.

IF the fans are compatible, chances are the only place that'll handle a 180mm fan is the side panel. If anything I'd mount that there and run it at low rpm, under 500ish. That will move plenty of air into the case without totally blowing out the airflow stream. The 120mm I'd stick low front at higher rpm, 700+, and use it to move the block of air from the 180mm under the gpu. The 90/92mm I'd stick right up next to the other case exhaust, possibly at the top rear as supplementary exhaust, create a larger low pressure spot in that corner, help the intake air move in that direction.

Thanks for the advice boys, but I actually just ended up ordering a case about 20 minutes after I posted the thread :) ill make sure my fans airflow is front to box from now on