SlugBugBuddy

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
I have this extra PC that I have so if a friend comes over we can play stuff together, and for about 6 months now it's been working like a dream.

One of my friends bought an MSI RX 580 Armor OC from Ebay (Throws up in mouth) and asked me to test it after it wouldn't work in his ancient Dell Mih61r motherboard
as expected from a cheap Ebay GPU, I got no display and the EZ debug had VGA on, so the GPU was bust. not a big deal and that ship has sailed.
but upon putting my other GPU back in, I'm having some problems;

Upon powering up, all the Fans and RGB turns on, and everything looks as if it was running fine and made it to OS, BUT the CPU EZ Debug LED is lit and I get no display.
after 3 attempts, this happened every time

It has always been a habit for me to Power off the PSU and unplug it during maintenance, as well as statically discharge myself beforehand, but it is possible the motherboard was still powered during this GPU swap, I don't remember clearly

Things I've tried:

Cleared CMOS via Push button

replugged GPU and used different PCIe x16 slots

Swapped CPU to a Ryzen 7 2700 that I know works

Made sure EPS was properly plugged in

I'll be getting another GPU in a couple of days and I'll try changing GPUs

V V V Full System Specs V V V

Motherboard: MSI x470 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X (No Overclock besides Auto-OC sometimes)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum
GPU: GTX 1660 Ti (Tested GPU that probably messed everything up: RX 580 4Gb)
RAM: 4x8Gb XPG Adata D80 3200mhz
Boot: 120Gb Kingston SSD
HDD: 1Tb Seagate Barracuda
PSU: Corsair 550W (Non-Modular)
Case: NZXT H500

Update: I bought a new identical motherboard and just swapped it, now the broken one sits on my shelf as a reminder to never test a friend's Ebay GPU again

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Corsair is the brand for the PSU while 550W is the wattage of the unit. We know it's not modular but we don't know what the series or model of the PSU is. How old is the unit?

Also, try and remove the CMOS battery and replace after 30 minutes. You should also note that the RX580 has a higher power draw than the GTX1660Ti, which might be the reason your system might be...croaking.

SlugBugBuddy

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
Corsair is the brand for the PSU while 550W is the wattage of the unit. We know it's not modular but we don't know what the series or model of the PSU is. How old is the unit?

Also, try and remove the CMOS battery and replace after 30 minutes. You should also note that the RX580 has a higher power draw than the GTX1660Ti, which might be the reason your system might be...croaking.
An AMD Product being less efficient than literally anything else???
visible confusion

Upon looking at my purchase history, it was an EVGA 600W 80 Plus, and was purchased October 18th, 2019, so it's definitely not old.

The corsair 550w was for a different build, now that I remember. I've bought many a PSU in my day

SlugBugBuddy

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019

Pulling CMOS battery did nothing, same results as before

TRENDING THREADS