High disk usage on MSI gaming laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kusetjuv

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Hello everyone! A few months ago I bought a brand new MSI laptop, the name is "GL62 - 6QD". The speccs are:
(Intel Core i7 6700HQ, 8GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 950M Graphics Card, Windows 10 home and hard drive WDC wd10jpvx-22jc3t0)

Basically, disk usage goes to 100 %, it happens every time the computer starts. I disabled some of the processes that were using too much. According to internet searches they were safe to disable, alot of people had the same issues, (Like the TiWORKER.exe) but it seems like new ones are popping up, once again using 100 % disk usage.

Just as an example, system.exe uses 100 % disk usage sometimes, or sometimes it can be steam.exe using the same, or small tasks like "synaptic pointer driver" for the laptops mouse pad. Its like small simple tasks/processes uses alot more than they should do..

Does anyone know how to properly diagnose why something uses 100 % disk, or which processes doing it?

Ive tried running troubleshooter tools and searching for hardrive errors, its really nothing wrong with the system itself, but it sorta feels like a Windows error.

Use Resource Monitor - switch to disk tab. Disk Activity section will show you all the processes and files, they're working on. Order activity section by total to have processes with high disk activity on top.
Post screenshot.
It looks similar to this:
2.png

Anyway - you should get SSD for your laptop.

kusetjuv

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Its worth mentioning that my PC runs ultra fast now..its back to normal but still im afraid that the disk usage is going to skyrocket again :(
Thanks for a quick answer tho, here is my screenshot:

It's insufficient amount of ram, that causes virtual memory usage (c:\pagefile.sys).
Virtual memory usage creates increased disk usage.
Disk is several magnitudes slower than ram.
All system slows down because of this - it has to swap ram contents to/from disk all the time.
That's why it is important to have enough ram.

Can you show screenshot from Resource Monitor memory tab?

kusetjuv

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

8gb of ram is too little for windows 10 and firefox running? Thats unreasonable.. I clearly felt that my pc went faster after killing some processes. It went down to 0% disk usage..cant I do something inside of virtual memory options?? So far ive managed page file myself by putting the suggested values in there and my ram x 1,5 on the other... Gonna post back when im home

kusetjuv

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Here man:

if its too small, here is another link:

https://ibb.co/k2LU66

Im running the exact same programs now like earlier, it doesnt look like RAM so far...but the PC can randomly use 100 % disk, its not like its happening all the time!

here is also task manager at the moment:

https://ibb.co/nEJ7R6

Please help all! :(

Windows has some crap that runs at times (SuperFetch, Windows Update service, Telemetry) that can spike usage to 100%.

If it has settled back down now, hopefully it was just one of those. I put Spybot Anti Beacon on all of my computers to disable the Windows telemetry services because I have had those absolutely thrash the disks in my desktop.

kusetjuv

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Do you have a "complete" list that can make the system more stable? Its stable AT THE MOMENT (as I changed the virtual memory to let the system handle it), now its stable...but just in case..

Everything looks good there. Lots of free ram, Disk Usage 0%.
You should catch the moment, when problems start happening.

kusetjuv

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

It seems like the problem occurs after a reboot, as you can see here:

https://ibb.co/dvqkDm

Its not always the same process tho, it can be random. But here its WMI provider host..

Relatively normal for a platter drive on reboot with W10.

Status
Not open for further replies.