Sep 9, 2022
so recently ive moved houses and the wifi here is pretty bad (i think), when i join a game my ping is always around 500-10000. ive downloaded this app called wifi analyzer and i have aroun 80 dBm ( pls tell me if this is good), now my game starts crashing and everytime i join a new game i have around 250k ping, pls help ( my friends dad told me that the wifi upstairs where my room and my pc is is bad)

It is likely "-80db" which is really bad.

There is very little you can do you need a lot more signal and you can still have massive ping/latency issues if there are a lot of neighbors using wifi. The only real solution is to not play games on wifi.

Best option is to use ethernet cables but that seldom can be done for most people. The next option is to use MoCA. This requires a coax connection near the router and in the remote room. This can get gigabit speeds and very good latency. The next is powerline network. This is much slower than moca but also tends to have a very good latency. It relies on the electrical wires and in some houses you powerline networks do not work well. They do function in most houses and you want to use units with a 1000 or 2000 number for the best chance of it to function well.

There really are few options to fix poor wifi signal. The key problem in a house is the walls/floors etc absorb the signal. There is no real solution and most routers already transmit at the legal maximum power so you can't just get a more powerful router. The end device though might not transmit at full power but many do. All you can really do is try to get better signals maybe by turning your PC. You do not want the antenna blocked and the metal case on a desktop does a great job of blocking signals. You might consider extension cable for the antenna but this does not always work. If you have a USB wifi nic a USB extension cable so you can move the unit away from the case is a cheap thing to try.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Start > CMD > type "ipconfig" and find your default gateway. It's probably 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, something like that.

Then type "ping 192.168.0.1" (insert your default gateway IP there).

It will say:
c70576fbb077ae64e487ddf9e2add440.png

That's your latency to your router. What is it? The lower the number the better. Wired should be single digits, wireless should be 10-20 or so. What is yours?

The added latency of the route behind your router is your ISP's concern and there's basically nothing you can do about that (effectively/realistically speaking). You can get yours down to sub 1 millisecond with wired, though. Run the test and let us know. It's easy to fix your end, if that's the problem.