[SOLVED] High Temps with Ryzen 5 3600 in any game

Mar 20, 2020
Hi. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 stock (with precision boost overdrive enabled) mounted on a A320 motherboard with 8 Gb of RAM (single channel) and a GTX 1650 S
I play several games like the new Warzone, Apex, Anthem, League and Fortnite.
Usually, my cpu isn't running at 100% but the temps, at least for me, are high like 75-80 degrees Celsius or more.
At idle, it ranges from 40 - 55, usually staying in the 50's ºC
Anyone knows why?
(Im using the default cooler that comes with the cpu itself, Wraith Stealth cooler I think.)

Last edited:
Solution
1)Yes.
2)It wouldn't decrease cpu usage, but allow it to work faster, so it can complete more tasks.
3)Dual channel, at least. The gains from faster memory aren't as noticeable with lower tier graphics cards, but you ARE going to want to upgrade the gpu again at some point, so why hold off on faster memory as well?
PBO will boost the CPU beyond stock values when needed, up to it's max possible speed. Voltage increases alongside it. It's sort of like a temporary, automatic overclock. 75-80 C is still a safe range when under max load, and sounds about right for the Wraith cooler. It's a solid cooler, but most aftermarket coolers provide much better cooling performance. Definitely not recommended when doing any kind of overclocking.

Open up a good user-friendly hardware monitoring software (like Ryzen Master or DragonCenter) and check your CPU stats. You will most likely see the frequency jumping between its lower base value and upper boost value, as well as the voltage increasing every time this happens. I noticed that at stock values and PBO enabled for my R7 2700X, voltages were averaging out around 1.46, which is pretty high and contributed to much higher temps than I wanted. I disabled PBO and locked the CPU to base values, voltage around 1.33, and max temps dropped considerably.

I'd recommend disabling PBO to start and seeing how your temperatures differ.

Reactions: Kelzetre
Mar 20, 2020
Combination of your room temps and case airflow.

Have you checked temps with PBO disabled?
PBO will boost the CPU beyond stock values when needed, up to it's max possible speed. Voltage increases alongside it. It's sort of like a temporary, automatic overclock. 75-80 C is still a safe range when under max load, and sounds about right for the Wraith cooler. It's a solid cooler, but most aftermarket coolers provide much better cooling performance. Definitely not recommended when doing any kind of overclocking.

Open up a good user-friendly hardware monitoring software (like Ryzen Master or DragonCenter) and check your CPU stats. You will most likely see the frequency jumping between its lower base value and upper boost value, as well as the voltage increasing every time this happens. I noticed that at stock values and PBO enabled for my R7 2700X, voltages were averaging out around 1.46, which is pretty high and contributed to much higher temps than I wanted. I disabled PBO and locked the CPU to base values, voltage around 1.33, and max temps dropped considerably.

I'd recommend disabling PBO to start and seeing how your temperatures differ.
I've tried disabling PBO but I can't
I've gone to the BIOS and turned it off but the cpu kept increasing the frequency and the voltage everytime it could
Btw my room is not hot at all but the case is under my desk

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've tried disabling PBO but I can't
I've gone to the BIOS and turned it off but the cpu kept increasing the frequency and the voltage everytime it could
That is normal. PBO works as described above by DrummerManSpike. Does disabling it help temps though?
If it does not, then leave it disabled. It simply means your current cooling solution isn't enough to benefit from PBO. The chip's boost clocks are influenced by temperature headroom.

Btw my room is not hot at all but the case is under my desk
That's a little vague. 20C? 30C? 40C?

The case is under the desk, not in a small cupboard or anything?
The case isn't some fancy, closed-off front panel type, is it?

Reactions: Kelzetre
Mar 20, 2020
That is normal. PBO works as described above by DrummerManSpike. Does disabling it help temps though?
If it does not, then leave it disabled. It simply means your current cooling solution isn't enough to benefit from PBO. The chip's boost clocks are influenced by temperature headroom.

That's a little vague. 20C? 30C? 40C?

The case is under the desk, not in a small cupboard or anything?
The case isn't some fancy, closed-off front panel type, is it?
I'll try verifying the temps with PBO disabled in a bit
It's around 20 something degrees, I don't know for sure because I don't have a way to measure it
The case is under a "big" wooden desk
Case is not that fancy, it's a Cooler Master K280 (You can see it here: https://netcomputadores.com.br/p/rck280kkn1-gabinete-cooler-master-k280/17823 )

Mar 20, 2020
So I went into the Bios and turns out PBO was already off. I made some more changes to it ( View: https://imgur.com/a/zz3QNLW

As you can see in the temps, right after I turned the pc off and turned it on again, it was at 52 ºC. I wasn't gaming nor video-editing before turning the pc off, just browsing the net
You can see in the link above the changes I made to the PBO settings
I turned Anthem on after the pc was on and the cpu usage went to the 60's % but the temps jumped to 70º C (it's currently on 80ºC)
I dont have any chassis fan, just the cpu fan and gpu fan

Mar 20, 2020
Oh and one more thing. My pc sometimes has these stutters out of nowhere. The audio lags during the stutter then comes back to normal. Everything stutters. Do you have an idea why?
Only lasts for less than a second

Reactions: schofield01
Any recommendation on a case fan for the Cooler Master K280?

Looks like your case can support up to three 120mm fans, and It doesn't seem like LED fans would be a good choice, considering the overall opaque case and under-desk positioning (this spot might not increase temps a ton, but it can attract more dust).

There's a few things I need to know to narrow down some selections:
  • What's the most you'd like to spend total for all 3 fans (before tax)?
  • Do you care much about noise level?
  • Does your motherboard support 4-pin PWM fans?
  • I noticed your case came included with a fan, do you still have it?

Mar 20, 2020
Looks like your case can support up to three 120mm fans, and It doesn't seem like LED fans would be a good choice, considering the overall opaque case and under-desk positioning (this spot might not increase temps a ton, but it can attract more dust).

There's a few things I need to know to narrow down some selections:
  • What's the most you'd like to spend total for all 3 fans (before tax)?
  • Do you care much about noise level?
  • Does your motherboard support 4-pin PWM fans?
  • I noticed your case came included with a fan, do you still have it?
Thank you but I think I found a custom solution ahahah

schofield01

Commendable
Mar 20, 2020
Oh and one more thing. My pc sometimes has these stutters out of nowhere. The audio lags during the stutter then comes back to normal. Everything stutters. Do you have an idea why?
Only lasts for less than a second

Hi Kelzetre,

I recently purchased a brand new build (January), with the EXACT same issue you described with the hang (stutters) and sound tearing (lagging), which occurred at least once every 30 minutes of game play, even once when watching YouTube:

AMD R5 3600
ASUS Prime B450M-K,
16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz,
GTX 1660 Ti 6GB,
480GB SSD & 2TB HDD,
Cooler Master MasterBox K501L Case [2x Fans (1x Red LED Front, 1x non-LED Rear)],
Corsair H100i Platinum 240mm RGB Liquid Cooler (with 2x intake fans),
450W 80+ White Power Supply and
Windows 10 Home.

(Background)
My build originally came with a stock cooler, however I was getting overheating issues when I purchased the rig (95-105 C temps under full load, idle temps 65-75 C). Took it back to store service department and long story short I have a water cooler (max under load 80 C, idle 35-54C, with temp spikes up to 65C).

The issue was still happening after water cooler install. I took it home yesterday, then clean re-installed windows 10, and installed ALL of the motherboard drivers, except the BIOS driver.

I have been playing it the past two days now and have not had this issue, except when I was mid game and went to desktop, i think there was a very small version of the sound tearing...

Mar 20, 2020
Not saying that’s the root of your current problem.

Please google Ryzen and performance with memory.
I have and I didn't find anybody with my problem
I know that Ryzen cpu's perform better with faster memory and dual-channel but does it reduce cpu usage and temps?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020
Hi Kelzetre,

I recently purchased a brand new build (January), with the EXACT same issue you described with the hang (stutters) and sound tearing (lagging), which occurred at least once every 30 minutes of game play, even once when watching YouTube:

AMD R5 3600
ASUS Prime B450M-K,
16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz,
GTX 1660 Ti 6GB,
480GB SSD & 2TB HDD,
Cooler Master MasterBox K501L Case [2x Fans (1x Red LED Front, 1x non-LED Rear)],
Corsair H100i Platinum 240mm RGB Liquid Cooler (with 2x intake fans),
450W 80+ White Power Supply and
Windows 10 Home.

(Background)
My build originally came with a stock cooler, however I was getting overheating issues when I purchased the rig (95-105 C temps under full load, idle temps 65-75 C). Took it back to store service department and long story short I have a water cooler (max under load 80 C, idle 35-54C, with temp spikes up to 65C).

The issue was still happening after water cooler install. I took it home yesterday, then clean re-installed windows 10, and installed ALL of the motherboard drivers, except the BIOS driver.

I have been playing it the past two days now and have not had this issue, except when I was mid game and went to desktop, i think there was a very small version of the sound tearing...
So you're saying the problem might be because of the temperature and BIOS drivers?
My BIOS is updated to the latest version (keep in mind that I have a A320M-K Prime motherboard).
I've been testing my pc today without the side panel on (I have a Cooler Master K280 case) and the temps were much better. I've been running games with - 10ºC on average and I haven't experienced the stutter of the whole computer yet. Makes me think that maybe the problem was the temps. The stutter makes the whole computer freeze for less than a second and makes the audio glitch (like it's prolonging it) for that same moment.