History and Recent Items Logging

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

What is the purpose of History logging?
How can I stop it?

The space on my Hard Drive is / was close to being exhausted and after I
cleaned out all the saved files created by the History folder, Temp Internet
folder, Recent Items folder, saved games, Windows Temp folder, files ending
in .tmp and .bak I managed to recoup almost 3Gb. Surely I can stop all these
useless files building up in the first place by turning some of this logging
off.

There are hundreds of files created with History, Temporary Internet Folder,
Recent Items, Cookies and the like that all clutter up the computer. There
were so many that I had to empty the recycle bin twice recently in order to
clean up the system.

"anon" <ngr@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> What is the purpose of History logging?
> How can I stop it?
>
> The space on my Hard Drive is / was close to being exhausted and after I
> cleaned out all the saved files created by the History folder, Temp
> Internet
> folder, Recent Items folder, saved games, Windows Temp folder, files
> ending
> in .tmp and .bak I managed to recoup almost 3Gb. Surely I can stop all
> these
> useless files building up in the first place by turning some of this
> logging
> off.
>
> There are hundreds of files created with History, Temporary Internet
> Folder,
> Recent Items, Cookies and the like that all clutter up the computer. There
> were so many that I had to empty the recycle bin twice recently in order
> clean up the system.

Go to Internet Options.

On the General tab, under History, you can clear History and reduce the
number of days to zero or one.
On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click on Settings.
There you can reduce the amount of disk space used for temporary internet
files.
On the Advanced tab, under Security, you can check the box to clear your
Temporary Internet Files each time you close IE.
On the General tab, you can Delete all Cookies or:
Click on Delete Files to clear your Temporary Internet files {be sure to
check the offline box that appears} then click on Settings and View Files.
Your Cookies files will be displayed and you can selectivity delete those
you do not want. Note: if you do not delete temporary internet files first,
those will also be listed with the cookies.
On the Privacy tab, you can click on Advance and adjust your cookie policy
to require a prompt prior to accepting third party cookies.

Right click on Start and select Properties. In the Start Menu tab, click on
Customize and then select the Advance tab. At the bottom you can clear your
Recent files and check the box not to maintain recent files.

Try running Disk Cleanup at least weekly.

Saved Games are yours to delete.

Don

You can set the preferences in History by choosing the number of days
(of items) to remain in History. You could also run the Disk Cleanup
facility to get rid of the unwanted stuff. Defragment you HD after the
cleanup to prevent the drive from getting fragmented. You should be
able to free up space with this.

--
d01178Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access