Question Hot swap keyboard ?

willeatpants

Prominent
Sep 23, 2022
I have a question about hot swap keyboards.

Is there something like a plug (i don't know how else to describe it) that I can shove in a switch location that I don't want to have a switch/key in?

For example, if i don't want to used my direction pad on the keyboard but i don't want the socket to be open and let dust and crap in.

willeatpants

Prominent
Sep 23, 2022
Switch, plug, detachable direction pad?

Make and model keyboard?

Is it possible for you to take a couple of photographs and post the photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com)?

That said, why not simply cover the open port with a small piece of masking tape?
Tape could work, But I'm looking for something to put in the switch socket that also makes it flush to the board.
I don't need it for my current board (since its budget) its for future project since I'm looking at those split keyboard for myself but since they do not come in the same layout as a full sized keyboard. (I could just by one of those full size membrane ergo keyboards and get close to what I want but no) and some of those have keys in strange places that I don't want/will use. So that why I asking about if there is a plug for that.

Ill throw in a visual example (image i found on google)
View: https://imgur.com/WEyUx8V

If I got this type of keyboard, I wouldn't want the keys I've crossed out and would want something in the socket to make it flush with the plastic.

I know i could use a program to disable those keys but I don't want them on the board itself .

Effectively im hunting for a hotswap ero/split board that around the size of a mini BUT has all the F keys at the top

Tape could work, But I'm looking for something to put in the switch socket that also makes it flush to the board.
I don't need it for my current board (since its budget) its for future project since I'm looking at those split keyboard for myself but since they do not come in the same layout as a full sized keyboard. (I could just by one of those full size membrane ergo keyboards and get close to what I want but no) and some of those have keys in strange places that I don't want/will use. So that why I asking about if there is a plug for that.

Ill throw in a visual example (image i found on google)
View: https://imgur.com/WEyUx8V

If I got this type of keyboard, I wouldn't want the keys I've crossed out and would want something in the socket to make it flush with the plastic.

I know i could use a program to disable those keys but I don't want them on the board itself .

Effectively im hunting for a hotswap ero/split board that around the size of a mini BUT has all the F keys at the top
Look at mechanical switch keyboards, most have removable switches and there are also kits which you can customize yourself.
For instance
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/?srsltid=AfmBOoqarl593P48BS5nAOFUvC83G28l3HETxd8pnY0RHr6kzXnMNRlQ

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
Removable switches (per @CountMike) is likely to be the most viable option.

Even if the key caps are removed, the switch stems will probably extend above the surface of the keyboard.

So you would need to remove the switches leaving just the openings.

And I would expect that the openings could be covered in some manner for the sake of appearance and to keep out debris.

= = = =

That said, I would be remiss if I did not ask about "and some of those have keys in strange places that I don't want/will use."

What is preventing you from simply ignoring those keys? Is there a concern that some end user or you could accidentally press those keys? Is it the cosmetics?

Curious about the project but not asking per se.

Plus, things being as they often are, you may later discover that those keys will be needed again....

Mr. Murphy loves projects. :)

In any case, you could (as mentioned) use code to disable the keys. Which offers the advantage of being able to undo or change key actions very easily.

Consider that if something is not working then you can be fairly certain that the keyboard "mods" etc. are not the issue.

My suggestion is to simply get the project working first.

Then deal with keys, keyboards, cosmetics, etc. later on - If and when necessary.

Reactions: CountMike