Question How can i connect an optical audio cable to a PC that doesn't have an optical audio port ?

leksaloffe

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
I just got a Samsung HW-C460 soundbar and i tried connecting it to my PC with USB-A to USB-A but it won't connect (it says no usb). so I'm assuming now that i need to connect it with the optical audio cable, but my motherboard doesn't have an optical audio port on it.

Does anyone know if theres some kind of adapter I could use, or a way to add optical audio cable capability to my PC?

My motherboard only has USB ports and audio jacks, and the soundbar only has USB and optical audio ports. (it also has bluetooth but there's a slight delay to it so that's not really an option).

Solution
im not sure i fully understand, but are you saying that i should get this and connect the soundbar to the splitter output via the optical cable that came with the soundbar, and then i should get this and use it to connect the splitter input to my PC?
almost
first link shows spdif to tosslink
second link shows analog 3.5mm to 2x RCA
that wouldnt work together

for it to work, you would need this with this or 3.5mm to 3.5mm
rest of cables are included with that analog to digital converter

Lutfij

Titan
i tried connecting it to my PC
What is the make and model of your motherboard?

You can't connect the soundbar to your PC using the USB port, that's meant for an USB drive with media on it, not a PC. You will either need to connect the soundbar wirelessly via BlueTooth or you will need an optical output. If your motherboard has an TOSLINK header, you can take advantage of said header to get an optical output. The other option is to get a soundcard with optical out. The last option is the most expensive, you should've asked prior to buying the soundbar for the PC.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

leksaloffe

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
i tried connecting it to my PC
What is the make and model of your motherboard?

You can't connect the soundbar to your PC using the USB port, that's meant for an USB drive with media on it, not a PC. You will either need to connect the soundbar wirelessly via BlueTooth or you will need an optical output. If your motherboard has an TOSLINK header, you can take advantage of said header to get an optical output. The other option is to get a soundcard with optical out. The last option is the most expensive, you should've asked prior to buying the soundbar for the PC.
To connect an optical audio cable to a PC without an optical audio port, you can utilize a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) with an optical input. This device will convert the digital optical signal to an analog format compatible with your PC's standard audio inputs. Alternatively, you may consider installing a sound card with an optical input port in an available PCI or PCIe slot on your computer's motherboard. These solutions will enable you to utilize optical audio connections on a PC that lacks native optical audio capabilities.
wow yeah i had no clue you couldnt connect the audio with USB, that sucks for me lol

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HCX1NY9 is this soundcard viable? my motherboard is a TUF B450-Plus Gaming and i use windows 10

he would need ADC to conver analog from PC to digital tosslink for his soundbar
if spdif is present then he will need DDC, as spdif is already digital output

For analog ouputs:
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Converter-Optical-3-5mmAUX-Soundbar/dp/B09Y9CGT56

For coaxial spdif:
https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Tendak-Bi-Directional-Converter-Splitter/dp/B06XCTGZFT

you can choose different brand/model, but make sure its either bidirectional or it does audio conversion the way you want to (no DAC)

if you choose spdif, then for spdif cable you dont need anything fancy, simple old video yellow RCA cable will do just fine

leksaloffe

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
he would need ADC to conver analog from PC to digital tosslink for his soundbar
if spdif is present then he will need DDC, as spdif is already digital output

For analog ouputs:
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Converter-Optical-3-5mmAUX-Soundbar/dp/B09Y9CGT56

For coaxial spdif:
https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Tendak-Bi-Directional-Converter-Splitter/dp/B06XCTGZFT

you can choose different brand/model, but make sure its either bidirectional or it does audio conversion the way you want to (no DAC)

if you choose spdif, then for spdif cable you dont need anything fancy, simple old video yellow RCA cable will do just fine
im not sure i fully understand, but are you saying that i should get this and connect the soundbar to the splitter output via the optical cable that came with the soundbar, and then i should get this and use it to connect the splitter input to my PC?

almost
first link shows spdif to tosslink
second link shows analog 3.5mm to 2x RCA
that wouldnt work together

for it to work, you would need this with this or 3.5mm to 3.5mm
rest of cables are included with that analog to digital converter

Solution