[SOLVED] HOW CAN I REDUCE MY FAN SPEED!??!! please helpppp

May 26, 2019
Hello guys. i have a sony vaio laptop model sve14a2m1ew
and my fan is doing a terrible noise. my cpu fan speed is 5921 rpm
cpu is at 49c

i have tried to rduce it with speed fan but it didnt work, i tried via bios however there wasnt the fan control option neither the power option

any help and solution??
Thank!!

Solution
Three pin fans, and ALL fans on laptops, can absolutely be controlled. They are controlled by DC voltage, rather than by PWM signal like four pin PWM fans. It would have to be a VERY old, or very cheap system to have only full on or full off fans being a laptop. Maybe not even then. I'm not sure I recall ever seeing that kind of design on any laptop. Perhaps on very old models from the late 80's or early 90's.

As for the fan itself, yes, it is possible that the fan has failed. Sometimes the center spindle that turns the fan blades becomes separated from, or loose, from the fan blades themselves so while the motor is turning at 6000rpm, the fan blades themselves are either not turning or turning much slower than the motor due to the...
May 26, 2019

4745454b

Titan
That's 53C at idle?

It's not as simple as you think. By lowering the fan curve you are going to make it quieter yes. But you'll also make the CPU hotter. And that's already pretty hot. At some point you'll end up with a slower CPU because it will downclock itself to prevent killing itself. My general advice is to never mess with laptop fan curves.

Perhaps the laptop needs a good cleaning? Or a cooling pad. Anything to get that temp down. Which should slow the fans as well.

Reactions: DMAN999
May 26, 2019
That's 53C at idle?

It's not as simple as you think. By lowering the fan curve you are going to make it quieter yes. But you'll also make the CPU hotter. And that's already pretty hot. At some point you'll end up with a slower CPU because it will downclock itself to prevent killing itself. My general advice is to never mess with laptop fan curves.

Perhaps the laptop needs a good cleaning? Or a cooling pad. Anything to get that temp down. Which should slow the fans as well.
The laptop is totally cleaned.. you are right about not messing with fan curves however it is a great noise and very tiring!!

May 26, 2019
Hello again, i discovered that i cant control fan spped neither from bios nor from speed fan.
my fan is 3 pin
my fan speed is 6000+ rpm
my question is. if i buy a silent fan from amazon, will the noise be stopped????

Is this a desktop or a laptop? If it is a desktop then what is the model number of the fan and motherboard?

If it is a laptop, then it's unlikely you can do anything to change the fan speed and in fact, SHOULD NOT, since laptop cooling is a delicately balanced configuration and changing any of the criteria will upset that balance and potentially cause problems if you don't know what you are doing.

May 26, 2019
Is this a desktop or a laptop? If it is a desktop then what is the model number of the fan and motherboard?

If it is a laptop, then it's unlikely you can do anything to change the fan speed and in fact, SHOULD NOT, since laptop cooling is a delicately balanced configuration and changing any of the criteria will upset that balance and potentially cause problems if you don't know what you are doing.
It's a laptop. So maybe I will stay with the noise and the heat:(

So, being as it is a laptop, there are a few questions that need answering.

Primarily, laptop fans are not supposed to go full speed 24/7, and when they do, it's usually because there is a thermal problem.

I would recommend getting some cans of compressed air and blowing out any dust that may have accumulated in the unit by discharging into the fan intake and exhaust vents in the laptop case OR, better yet, either taking it to a shop or disassembling it yourself and repasting the CPU (And GPU card if equipped) heatsinks while also thoroughly blowing out any accumulated dust inside.

If the unit is still under warranty, I'd begin an RMA or service request due to the continuous full speed fan operation. It is not normal, and unless you've modified something in the configuration of the processor to overclock it or have used it frequently with the cooling intake or exhaust vents on the bottom blocked like on your pants or blankets which tends to fairly quickly cause thermal damage to the internal components, it should not be doing that. When laptops start having thermal issues, there is a reason for it. It is not normal and is an indication of a need for service or thermal damage that has already occurred.

May 26, 2019
So, being as it is a laptop, there are a few questions that need answering.

Primarily, laptop fans are not supposed to go full speed 24/7, and when they do, it's usually because there is a thermal problem.

I would recommend getting some cans of compressed air and blowing out any dust that may have accumulated in the unit by discharging into the fan intake and exhaust vents in the laptop case OR, better yet, either taking it to a shop or disassembling it yourself and repasting the CPU (And GPU card if equipped) heatsinks while also thoroughly blowing out any accumulated dust inside.

If the unit is still under warranty, I'd begin an RMA or service request due to the continuous full speed fan operation. It is not normal, and unless you've modified something in the configuration of the processor to overclock it or have used it frequently with the cooling intake or exhaust vents on the bottom blocked like on your pants or blankets which tends to fairly quickly cause thermal damage to the internal components, it should not be doing that. When laptops start having thermal issues, there is a reason for it. It is not normal and is an indication of a need for service or thermal damage that has already occurred.
First of all thank you for your interest about helping me. I have take it to a lot of technical services but still nothing. I read that 3 pins fans can't be controlled. I tried with speed fan but no. In bios there are not fan settings. Any other solution? Maybe an other program. Something?

Three pin fans, and ALL fans on laptops, can absolutely be controlled. They are controlled by DC voltage, rather than by PWM signal like four pin PWM fans. It would have to be a VERY old, or very cheap system to have only full on or full off fans being a laptop. Maybe not even then. I'm not sure I recall ever seeing that kind of design on any laptop. Perhaps on very old models from the late 80's or early 90's.

As for the fan itself, yes, it is possible that the fan has failed. Sometimes the center spindle that turns the fan blades becomes separated from, or loose, from the fan blades themselves so while the motor is turning at 6000rpm, the fan blades themselves are either not turning or turning much slower than the motor due to the slippage.

Replacing the fan with an identical model would be recommendable in that event but it is not likely to be something for the faint of heart to attempt. Laptop disassembly and repair are much more complex endeavors than similar operations on a desktop system.

Solution