Status
Not open for further replies.

Zane Stewart

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I have my own physical dedicated server.

128gb of ram, 10TB and windows 11.

I want to host/share/backup files for my friends the same-exact way Onedrive does. e.g. someone uploads a file and everyone can copy, delete or stream it, etc

I'm looking for something that meshes with 'File Explorer' exactly like Onedrive

My friend suggested "rejetto", but it looks a bit old and I don't know if it'll give me exactly what I want.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

USAFRet

Titan
I want to host/share/backup files for my friends
Tread carefully here.

You trust your friends, right?
How much do you trust their friends?

Access from outside may mean access by people outside your control.

How willing are you to have your internet service cut off?
Or potentially have your hardware confiscated?

All because someone else uploaded something copyrighted, or worse.

In addition, you WILL need to have very tight controls on this outside access.
Every system, all across the planet, is getting access requests all the time.
Once you've purposely opened it up for outside access, you've removed the first, very strong, wall to anyone malicious gaining access.

This is why most people use a hosting service for this, instead of doing it from home.

I'm just saying...go into this with open eyes, with an understanding of the risks.

Zane Stewart

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Tread carefully here.

You trust your friends, right?
How much do you trust their friends?

Access from outside may mean access by people outside your control.

How willing are you to have your internet service cut off?
Or potentially have your hardware confiscated?

All because someone else uploaded something copyrighted, or worse.

In addition, you WILL need to have very tight controls on this outside access.
Every system, all across the planet, is getting access requests all the time.
Once you've purposely opened it up for outside access, you've removed the first, very strong, wall to anyone malicious gaining access.

This is why most people use a hosting service for this, instead of doing it from home.

I'm just saying...go into this with open eyes, with an understanding of the risks.
Hello USAFRet,

Your comment is lowkey offensive with all the blind assumptions.
It feels like you're patronizing me as if I'm some 12yo who's trying to host a Minecraft server and wants to post his IP on 4chan.
It feels like you're assuming my friends are malicious and involved in piracy or worse, and/or lowkey insulting my judgment of character.
It feels like you're belittling my intellect solely based off my desire to host files when you know nothing about my knowledge or level of security.
I was just asking what would be the best software for what I'm trying to do.

Yeah, I get you're trying to help/educate and I do respect that, but it comes off as condescending because it is something oh so basic, especially when I mentioned I literally own a physical server. Yes, of course that alone doesn't automatically give me the knowledge of Cyber security, but I think it's pretty far fetched to assume someone who's made that much of a 'weird' investment in hardware wouldn't already know about the risks and what not. Or at least an extremely super low chance.

Also, your scenario with piracy can still happen when using hosting services. e.g. Onedrive/dropbox, etc. and I NEVER said anywhere at all that I was "opening it to the public/outside" I would obviously have a password or profile authentication system.

Hope you enjoy your afternoon.

Zane. ❤

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Yeah, I get you're trying to help/educate and I do respect that, but it comes off as condescending because it is something oh so basic, especially when I mentioned I literally own a physical server.
Lots of 14 year old "server owners" come here because dad's work was throwing out an HP DL380G5. There is no way to know your background, besides what you tell us in your posts.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
It feels like you're assuming my friends are malicious and involved in piracy or worse, and/or lowkey insulting my judgment of character.
My comment specifically referred to your friends friends.
People you do not know.

and I NEVER said anywhere at all that I was "opening it to the public/outside" I would obviously have a password or profile authentication system.
I assumed nothing.
All we out here had to go on was your desire to host a file server from (presumably) your house.

I just outlined some of the things you might not be aware of.

Open a hole in your firewall IS opening it to the outside.
Of course you'll have a password on it.
And it will STILL get continual access pings.

Hopefully your security practices are sound.

But, moving on:

"exactly like OneDrive"
Why not just a regular FTP server? Upload/download is pretty seamless for all your clients.

And....
I literally own a physical server.
So do I.
~80TB usable space. Up to 256 individual user accounts, each with their own walled off space, as well as a large shared access.
If I wanted.

For a while, I did have it open to the outside world.
Very much locked down with strong passwords, etc.
Every day, multiple times per day, it would get access attempts from all over the planet.
Russia, China, Switzerland, Nigeria, Florida, Ohio, Portugal, etc, etc.
I can give you the old logs if you want.

I shut it down after a while, because the risk was just too great.
And I actually DO know what I'm doing.

Not trying to tell you no, or saying that you and your friends are clueless or malicious.
Just trying to inform you of some of the risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.