[SOLVED] How can i use my old hdd in new pc build without losing files (2020)

Sep 26, 2020
Hello people!

So im building a new pc tomorrow, i only want a old hdd from my old pc which got windows 7 installed on it, my old hdd have some really important large files which are in E and D drive, so C drive is useless for me as it only have windows n programs on it.

For new build i will be using 1tb ssd m.2 as a main storage in which i will install windows 10 but i also want to use my old hdd as well as they have files i want.

So what is the best way and safest way to hookup old hdd which have windows 7 to a new pc with windows 10.

Solution
unplug all your drives,
Install the m.2 drive and install windows 10 on it.
Reboot to windows to finish all the install and drivers and updates.
Once windows 10 is fully operational you can add the old HDD as a slave drive, and will be able to access the files on it

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
unplug all your drives,
Once windows 10 is fully operational you can add the old HDD as a slave drive, and will be able to access the files on it

Reactions: HolySparta
Solution
Sep 26, 2020
unplug all your drives,

Do i have to format C drive on the old hdd?

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Nope,
When you add it back to the system as a slave drive it will only see it as an HDD slave drive, you will see windows 7 files on there and all your other files, but it wont be your boot OS master drive.
that is why you have to do the windows 10 install on the m.2 drive with no other HDDs attached, to make that the master OS boot drive

Reactions: HolySparta