[SOLVED] How do i disable the function that allows Windows 10 to restart my laptop when the laptop is outside "active hours"?

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
I almost always keep my laptop turned on 24/7, because i usually do important stuff, and i prefer to not turn off the laptop. However, recently, i lost some work, because the laptop got restarted, while i was sleeping. It got restarted after Windows 10 got its new update, despite the fact i had left 2 programs activated and running, meaning the OS should have recognized the laptop is currently in use, and is not outside "active hours".

A few minutes ago, i got a notification telling me that Windows 10 is unable to recognize when the laptop is outside active hours, because i keep my laptop on 24/7, and there are programs running 24/7. The notification told me i need to manually select the hours during which i don't use the laptop, so the OS can restart the laptop. The problem is that there is no such thing as "outside active hours" in my case, because the laptop is doing tasks 24/7.

Hosting game servers, transferring files from the SSD to the USB (and vice versa), uploading and downloading files, creating archives, copying and pasting, converting files from one format to another are processes that run on my laptop at any moment in time, there is not even a single second when the laptop isn't performing tasks ordered by me. In other words, the laptop is in use 24/7.

The current active hours are: "Current active hours: ‏‎9:00 AM to ‏‎2:00 AM", despite the fact the laptop is used even beyond these hours.

"Set active hours to let us know when you typically use this device. We won't automatically restart your device during this time."

Is there an option that will prevent automatic restarts, and will first notify me with a notification, so i can give permission for restarting? The idea is for the laptop to never be restarted without my permission, before i make sure all my work is saved and won't be lost due to restart.

Solution
You need to take control, and self identify times/hours when YOU want the thing to apply updates and reboot.
Every server on the interwebs has scheduled downtime, for basic maintenance like applying updates.

Responsible systems and admins have a notification to the users:
"Every Sunday morning between 02:00 and 04:00 UTC, the system will be offline for maintenance."
Or whatever hours you want to do it.

Active hours is just when the system has identified when you are mostly not using it.

Ralston18

Titan
Windows does include options to provide end users with some control over restarts.

Not sure about what all you have configured or otherwise tried.

Look in:

"WIN" + "I" > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options

There is an Update notification switch.

= = = =

Eventually Windows will override end user configuration setting and force a restart when necessary.

If you rarely allow Windows to update/restart then you may be putting your laptop at risk because some critical fix was not installed.

= = = =

24/7 work is likely going to end in some catastrophic manner. Not if - when......

When are backups performed? You should be backing up all important data at least 2 x to other locations away from the laptop. Plus verifying that the data is recoverable and readable.

My suggestion is to create at least a weekly routine that backs up data etc. then, after the backup is finished, you allow or initiate a restart.

There's a control to delay updates for up to 35 days.

I delay mine for 35 days. Nothing happens during that period.

On the 33rd or 34th day, I make a new Macrium image and then deliberately accept all updates....and then immediately set a new delay for another 35 days. Typically takes under a half hour.

There might be semi-heroic ways to gain more control through third party software. I haven't look deeply into it because I can tolerate the manual 35 day delay option.

Reactions: dwd999

USAFRet

Titan
You need to take control, and self identify times/hours when YOU want the thing to apply updates and reboot.
Every server on the interwebs has scheduled downtime, for basic maintenance like applying updates.

Responsible systems and admins have a notification to the users:
"Every Sunday morning between 02:00 and 04:00 UTC, the system will be offline for maintenance."
Or whatever hours you want to do it.

Active hours is just when the system has identified when you are mostly not using it.

Solution