TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Hello. I want to install TCP/IP protocols, so i can download files with minimal risks of corruption, in case I'm downloading files in a period of unstable network.
To learn more about why I need this protocol, check this post:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/slow-internet-can-it-corrupt-files.3151649/post-19526054

The problem is that I don't know how to check if I already have the protocol installed. I'm unable to find the Configuration box when I open Control Panel -> Network and Internet. Or maybe the box is there, but I don't see it or I don't know how to open it.

I typed "ipconfig /all" in the CMD after I run it as administrator, but I still didn't see any information about the protocol.

So, can someone tell me how to check if my laptop has the protocol, and if not, how to install it?
Can the protocol still be installed, if my laptop is connected to a router internet, not to cable internet?

Ralston18

Titan
Per @rgd1101 it should already be there.

However if you wish to peak and poke around for more information then the following Powershell links should help:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/p...-nettransportfilter?view=windowsserver2022-ps

Especially the cmdlet:

Get-NetTransportFilter

Results from my computer:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-NetTransportFilter

SettingName : Internet
Protocol : TCP
LocalPortStart : 0
LocalPortEnd : 65535
RemotePortStart : 0
RemotePortEnd : 65535
DestinationPrefix : *

Also:

Get-NetAdapterBinding -AllBindings

Reference:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/p...t-netadapterbinding?view=windowsserver2022-ps

Caution: Use only "Get" cmdlets to find or otherwise discover configuration information about any given system, the system's configuration, its' components, and its' components' configuration settings.

Just google words and phrasing such as "powershell how to find [what you want to find]" and execute the search. Revise search criteria as necessary.

After that you will need to carefully read the search results and determine if the presented Powershell cmdlets do result in what you want to know and learn.

For the most part you can find easily copied "Get-" cmdlets to cut and paste into Powershell via the PS> prompt. No need to retype but read the cmdlet carefully.

Again play it safe and do not run Powershell as Admin unless absolutely necessary.

Use basic Get -cmdlets at first without any filtering. Long listings can be sent to a printer or to a file. I will leave you discover how to figure that OUT (hint).

In any case stay with simple Get- cmdlets until you have a greater understanding of Powershell and are comfortable with using Powershell.

Start simple then try more involved Get's and even short scripts. Lots to learn.

As always be sure that your system is fully backed up and proven to be recoverable.

Reactions: TheFlash1300

Colif

Win 11 Master
i learned what transmission control protocol/internet protocol in a training course in 1999... its about only useful thing I remember from that course too.

Windows cannot use the internet without tcpip.sys. it talks to the lan drivers.