Question How do I undervolt my Xeon 2689 ?

Feb 20, 2023
I have a Xeon 2689, it's very good for what it cost me, but the temperatures are a bit high, it wouldn't hurt to undervolt it, so is there any way to undervolt this processor? If so, could you please explain how?

P.D : My writing is <Mod Edit>, so I had to help with google translate, in case you notice something strange.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a 2689v2, v3 or v4? Post a picture of CPU-Z.

The early versions of the 2689 did not support software undervolting. The v4 might have this feature available.

Try running Intel XTU or ThrottleStop. Post some screenshots so I can see if your CPU is supported.

dogfight

Honorable
Aug 21, 2016
I have:
  • Supermicro X10DRL mobo with socket LGA2011-3
  • Xeon E5-2680 v4 CPU

Throttlestop does not allow me to change anything in FIVR so how can I undervolt the CPU ?

dogfight

Honorable
Aug 21, 2016
Post a screenshot of the FIVR window. If it says Locked then the BIOS has locked out CPU voltage control. There is nothing ThrottleStop or any software can do about that. You would need to modify the BIOS.

It says "NOT AVAILABLE" on my laptop.
Tried with a Core i7-1260P CPU, also "NOT AVAILABLE". I dont know how to make it "available" ?

NOT AVAILABLE
Not too surprising that Intel disabled voltage control on the E5-2680 v4. Guaranteed stability is important when Intel's corporate customers spend over $1700 on a server CPU.

Most 12th Gen mobile CPUs do not include voltage control. Intel decided to reserve this feature for their top of the line HK and HX mobile processors. Recent microcode updates can disable voltage control in these processors too.

Reactions: dogfight

dogfight

Honorable
Aug 21, 2016
Thank you. Very reasonable.

Not too surprising that Intel disabled voltage control on the E5-2680 v4. Guaranteed stability is important when Intel's corporate customers spend over $1700 on a server CPU.

Most 12th Gen mobile CPUs do not include voltage control. Intel decided to reserve this feature for their top of the line HK and HX mobile processors. Recent microcode updates can disable voltage control in these processors too.

dogfight

Honorable
Aug 21, 2016
Thanks.

The VRM temp goes upto 67 *C (ambient 20) at full load, so I want to reduce power consumption, as in summber the ambient temp can be 37-38 *C.

Whenever possible, it's better to deal with the problem rather than the symptoms. If the problem with your desktop PC is that it's running hot at stock, you want to improve your cooling solution.