playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
Hello all! I have a question about how fan curves work stock. So, usually I use MSI afterburner to set my custom GPU fan curve, but lately having MSI AB run in the background of my games has been literally crashing them to desktop every single time and not even the slightest OC is seeming to be stable. Therefore I have elected to stop using OC tools and on screen overlays for a while until I can figure out what is wrong/they release a fix. My question is...without my GPU fan curve being controlled by Afterburner, what IS my fan curve? Will my fan run? How is this controlled and where can I edit or monitor it? How do these settings come stock? My build is still exactly as it appears in my signature. Thanks all!

Solution
If nothing external is controlling the fans (like Afterburner)....there is an internal "curve" in the GPU that controls the fans.

Also....as far as Afterburner crashing you.
I've had similar issues.
With me....the issue is with Riva Tuner.....try different settings with Riva Tuner.
I have found that Stealth Mode can eliminate crashes.
If nothing external is controlling the fans (like Afterburner)....there is an internal "curve" in the GPU that controls the fans.

I've had similar issues.
With me....the issue is with Riva Tuner.....try different settings with Riva Tuner.

Solution

playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018

I've had similar issues.

I've had similar issues.

Thanks! Perhaps I will try that. And yeah RTSS has caused the majority of the issues but even after turning off detection and the OSD, I was still getting crashing issues with the OC. Maybe my OC just is not stable but it is a PRETTY modest one lol. I am no extreme OC'er HA.

Thanks! Perhaps I will try that. And yeah RTSS has caused the majority of the issues but even after turning off detection and the OSD, I was still getting crashing issues with the OC. Maybe my OC just is not stable but it is a PRETTY modest one lol. I am no extreme OC'er HA.
You're welcome.
I had at least 3 games giving me trouble until I figured out how to set RTSS for them.