[SOLVED] How much does X570 chipset lane limit?

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
I intend for buy an ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming with a AMD Ryzen 5 5600X.

I’m still trying to grasp the lanes business. When I check the specs

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-f-gaming-model/spec

Under the 5000 series and AMD X570 chipset it gives different criteria.

AMD X570 chipset :
4 x USB 2.0 port(s) (4 at mid-board)

I take it that some of the rear USB ports will throttle down to 2.0 speed?

AMD X570 chipset
1 x PCIe 4.0 x16 (max at x4 mode) *1
2 x PCIe 4.0 x1

I got an old Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Extreme. I will get another graphics card in the future with a 4.0 bandwith. But does that mean that the future gpu will only at x4? I only intend to have one gpu.

Perhaps I am all over the place.

I checked the manual to see if its any easier to understand:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E15827_ROG_STRIX_X570-F_GAMING_UM_v2_WEB.pdf

Chapter 1 - 1-7 - PCIe operating mode. I’m still lost.

Solution

AMD X570 chipset :

AMD X570 chipset
2 x PCIe 4.0 x1

I got an old Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Extreme. I will get another graphics card in the future with a 4.0 bandwith. But does that mean that the future gpu will only at x4? I only intend to have one gpu.

Perhaps I am all over the...

rgd1101

Don't
the cpu have pcie 4.0 x16
AMD RyzenTM 4000 G-Series / 2000 Series Processors
AMD Ryzen™ 5000 Series/ 3000 Series Desktop Processors
AMD RyzenTM 3000 G-Series / 2000 G-Series Processors
2 x PCIe 4.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x8 mode)

modem cpu have lanes for gpu and m.2 storage.

AMD X570 chipset :

AMD X570 chipset
2 x PCIe 4.0 x1

Perhaps I am all over the place.

I checked the manual to see if its any easier to understand:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E15827_ROG_STRIX_X570-F_GAMING_UM_v2_WEB.pdf

Chapter 1 - 1-7 - PCIe operating mode. I’m still lost.
In addition to the usual lane sharing issues, the board is compatible with a rather huge array of CPU's and APU's. Different generations of CPU, and APU's, have different PCIe and lane capabilities. Trying to grasp it all is very confusing so if your plan is to put a 5000 series CPU in it then focus on that and mentally erase any lines or conditionals that talk about anything else. That helps a lot.

The USB 3.2 will only down-grade to USB 2.0 if you insert a USB 2.0 device. The "Mid board" usb ports are USB 3.2 with Ryzen 3000/5000 CPU's but downgrade to USB 2 only with 1000/2000 CPU's or any generation APU. They are generally used for internal customers...like RGB...or a front panel connection.

A CPU furnishes 16 lanes for the GPU to the top PCIe x 16 slot and 4 lanes for an NVME to the top M.2 socket. HOWEVER, it's only PCIe gen 4 capable with a 3000 or 5000 series CPU. Any future GPU will have all 16 lanes available assuming it's put in the top PCIe x16 slot. It might have 16 available from the chipset in a lower slot too but that's not as desireable as communicating direct to CPU.

The chipset furnishes the balance of the PCIe lanes. They will be dynamically shuffled between the lower PCIe slot, the other two M.2 slots and some of the SATA 6.0 ports based on what devices you may install. It can get complicated, suggest you study the technical spec's if you want to try and anticipate how it will work if you're planning on maxing out the slots, M.2 sockets and SATA ports. It is always confusing.

You may be confused about what is meant by "4.0 bandwidth" for the new GPU you're planning: I'm confident it means PCIe gen 4 and it will be 16 lanes. That is, UNLESS it's a very low-end GPU as some of them are x4 bandwidth, but that has nothing to do with motherboard capabilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iamsotired
Solution

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
In addition to the usual lane sharing issues, the board is compatible with a rather huge array of CPU's and APU's. Different generations of CPU, and APU's, have different PCIe and lane capabilities. Trying to grasp it all is very confusing so if your plan is to put a 5000 series CPU in it then focus on that and mentally erase any lines or conditionals that talk about anything else. That helps a lot.

The USB 3.2 will only down-grade to USB 2.0 if you insert a USB 2.0 device. The "Mid board" usb ports are USB 3.2 with Ryzen 3000/5000 CPU's but downgrade to USB 2 only with 1000/2000 CPU's or any generation APU. They are generally used for internal customers...like RGB...or a front panel connection.

A CPU furnishes 16 lanes for the GPU to the top PCIe x 16 slot and 4 lanes for an NVME to the top M.2 socket. HOWEVER, it's only PCIe gen 4 capable with a 3000 or 5000 series CPU. Any future GPU will have all 16 lanes available assuming it's put in the top PCIe x16 slot. It might have 16 available from the chipset in a lower slot too but that's not as desireable as communicating direct to CPU.

The chipset furnishes the balance of the PCIe lanes. They will be dynamically shuffled between the lower PCIe slot, the other two M.2 slots and some of the SATA 6.0 ports based on what devices you may install. It can get complicated, suggest you study the technical spec's if you want to try and anticipate how it will work if you're planning on maxing out the slots, M.2 sockets and SATA ports. It is always confusing.

You may be confused about what is meant by "4.0 bandwidth" for the new GPU you're planning: I'm confident it means PCIe gen 4 and it will be 16 lanes. That is, UNLESS it's a very low-end GPU as some of them are x4 bandwidth, but that has nothing to do with motherboard capabilities.

Thanks I think I am getting it (maybe :unsure:) I think what I did wrong was to conflate CPU and chipset.

Yes on the spec sheets it says:
AMD Ryzen™ 5000 Series/ 3000 Series Desktop Processors
AMD RyzenTM 3000 G-Series / 2000 G-Series Processors

2 x PCIe 4.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x8 mode)
AMD X570 chipset
2 x PCIe 4.0 x1

*1 PCIeX16_3 slot shares bandwidth with PCIeX1_2.

In the manual in pcie operating mode: x16 pcie 4.0 single card column.

The system will constitute:
AMD Ryzen 5 - 5600x
ASUS ROG Strix X570-F
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Extreme
3x SSD 2.5"
3x HDD 3.5"

That's what I working with.

I can't see myself using the M.2 slot. Maybe a sata express for more ports. It would placed in the PCIe 4.0 x1_1 slot.

What would that mean?

That's what I working with.

I can't see myself using the M.2 slot. Maybe a sata express for more ports. It would placed in the PCIe 4.0 x1_1 slot.

What would that mean?
I sounds like you don't plan on using any M.2 slots and only the top PCIe x16. The two SATA drives (one SSD, one HDD) won't max out the SATA ports. This means you're going to be left with a lot of flexibility with how you use the remaining slots and ports.

Don't know what SATA express card you're planning on but with only one PCIe lane there's not much you can do with it: a couple SATA ports, maybe 4 more if it's PCIe gen 4. An M.2 for an NVME wouldn't work well because NVME's really want 4 lanes and besides, you've still got the three on-board M.2 sockets to fill. If I understand what a SATA express is it's not really something to worry about until you've maxed out SATA ports and M.2 sockets.

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
I sounds like you don't plan on using any M.2 slots and only the top PCIe x16. The two SATA drives (one SSD, one HDD) won't max out the SATA ports. This means you're going to be left with a lot of flexibility with how you use the remaining slots and ports.

Don't know what SATA express card you're planning on but with only one PCIe lane there's not much you can do with it: a couple SATA ports, maybe 4 more if it's PCIe gen 4. An M.2 for an NVME wouldn't work well because NVME's really want 4 lanes and besides, you've still got the three on-board M.2 sockets to fill. If I understand what a SATA express is it's not really something to worry about until you've maxed out SATA ports and M.2 sockets.

Thanks for your reply :)

Well it's:
3x SSD 2.5"
3x HDD 3.5"
1x optical drive

That's 7 sata ports filled up (out of 8). There's only 2 m.2 sockets on the ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming motherboard.

I will have to read more into this.