•i9 -10850k CPU
•Corsair vengeance rgb pro 32gb (2x16)
Gigabyte Z490 aorus Elite motherboard
•Corsair 850w RMX 80+ gold PSU
•Samsung 970 SSD 500gb
•western digital SSD 2T
•Corsair H100i elite cappelix radiator, 2 x fans, liquid cooling

1920-1080p 144hz monitor

at the start I was getting (ultra/high settings)
300fps MW Mulitplayer
200+FPS warzone
300fps fortnite (jumped on to see what I could’ve gotten if I had this setup when I played)

recently it’s dropped to
120-150 MW
80-110 WZ
120 - fortnite

I haven’t changed anything yet I’ve got a significant frame drop,
Not as computer savvy as I used to be, to be honest I’m pretty much illiterate when it comes to PCs at the moment,

Any help to improve my PCs performance would be magical, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Only had profile one and is now on,
Control panel was already on max performance, no change in performance
GPU sits at about 83C,
I’m worried I’m going to screw something up playing with this 😂
GPU is thermal throttling it seems like, graphics cards will automatically lower there speed/performance when hitting the thermal limit (3090 has 83c limit base)

I would 100% undervolt instead of overclocking, my 3080 got better gains through an undervolt and a 3090 is similar from what I heard.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUkPAVcb9Xc&t=736s
The video is for 2000 series mainly but its also pretty similar.

Especially since you are thermal throttling normal overclocks WILL NOT INCREASE...

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
I'd run 3Dmark and see how your average score compares to other builds of the same type. (3DMark demo has this for free, you can see how your exact build score compares to other exact builds) I can tell you right now you should be getting over 15,000 on time-spy.

Maybe check your computer through task manager to see if some other program is eating up resources?

Have you changed anything in the BIOS or installed MSI afterburner, maybe you accidently lowered something on MSI afterburner or changed a value in the BIOS?

This is one of my big fears, that my computer suddenly just starts preforming a lot worse for no noticeable reason, could be a variety of reasons.

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
What are your cpu and gpu temperatures when gaming?

Please run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results?
Wouldn't something like 3Dmark demo work better than user-benchmark since its a more "intensive" test and has its own comparison features. (I dislike user benchmark mainly due to there heavy bias but I'm not sure how that affects there benchmark tool)

Jun 10, 2021
I'd run 3Dmark and see how your average score compares to other builds of the same type. (3DMark demo has this for free, you can see how your exact build score compares to other exact builds) I can tell you right now you should be getting over 15,000 on time-spy.

Maybe check your computer through task manager to see if some other program is eating up resources?

Have you changed anything in the BIOS or installed MSI afterburner, maybe you accidently lowered something on MSI afterburner or changed a value in the BIOS?

This is one of my big fears, that my computer suddenly just starts preforming a lot worse for no noticeable reason, could be a variety of reasons.
I’ll check the first 2 points after work.

no, I haven’t touched the BIOS or downloaded MSI after burner!

yeah it definitely hurts seeing the FPS drop after the money I spent on it.

Wouldn't something like 3Dmark demo work better than user-benchmark since its a more "intensive" test and has its own comparison features. (I dislike user benchmark mainly due to there heavy bias but I'm not sure how that affects there benchmark tool)

No. Userbrnchmark while not a great tool for comparing components is actually quite good at helping identify which component is underperforming. 3DMark may tell you the system is underperforming but won’t tell you if it’s likely cpu, gpu or RAM related. UB is also good as it tells you other information, for example what frequency the RAM is running at or if the cpu is not boosting.

Reactions: spentshells

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
No. Userbrnchmark while not a great tool for comparing components is actually quite good at helping identify which component is underperforming. 3DMark may tell you the system is underperforming but won’t tell you if it’s likely cpu, gpu or RAM related.

I'm pretty sure 3Dmark will tell you the individual scores you can compare to other builds, although I dont use it much. Might be better to run both (as they are both free , at least for what he needs) just to narrow out any rare/slim errors.

Jun 10, 2021
Your ram is running at 2666,mhz... go ahead and reactive your memory profile in the motherboard bios.

You should be right back to where you were with fps

it seems likely that the ssd and gpu are scoring lower than they should solely for this reason.
I have found my way into the BIOS, but not too sure on what I’m doing

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
After entering bios:
-Switch to Advanced Mode, if it didn't already do that by default.
-Click on Tweaker tab
-Go down to Extreme Memory Profile and select Profile 1.
IF a Profile 2 appears... well, experiment when you have time - maybe one yields more performance than the other...
That's about it for XMP.

The gpu also kind of stands out in the UBM result.
Check core and memory thermals - 80C or lower on the core, 95C or lower on the memory. hwinfo can report memory thermals.
Another thing, if you recently updated the driver too, is to go into Nvidia Control Panel and confirm whether the power plan is set to max performance or adaptive.
The installer loves to set it to optimal by default, which prioritizes saving power over performance - max perf is the opposite of that, and adaptive is a good middle ground.

Jun 10, 2021
After entering bios:
-Switch to Advanced Mode, if it didn't already do that by default.
-Click on Tweaker tab
-Go down to Extreme Memory Profile and select Profile 1.
IF a Profile 2 appears... well, experiment when you have time - maybe one yields more performance than the other...
That's about it for XMP.

The gpu also kind of stands out in the UBM result.
Check core and memory thermals - 80C or lower on the core, 95C or lower on the memory. hwinfo can report memory thermals.
Another thing, if you recently updated the driver too, is to go into Nvidia Control Panel and confirm whether the power plan is set to max performance or adaptive.
The installer loves to set it to optimal by default, which prioritizes saving power over performance - max perf is the opposite of that, and adaptive is a good middle ground.
GPU sits at about 83C,

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
GPU sits at about 83C,
GPU is thermal throttling it seems like, graphics cards will automatically lower there speed/performance when hitting the thermal limit (3090 has 83c limit base)

I would 100% undervolt instead of overclocking, my 3080 got better gains through an undervolt and a 3090 is similar from what I heard.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUkPAVcb9Xc&t=736s
The video is for 2000 series mainly but its also pretty similar.

Especially since you are thermal throttling normal overclocks WILL NOT INCREASE SPEED (Overclocks wont increase speed at all) as heat is the limiting factor. Under volting might help out a lot as it lowers voltage while keeping everything the same, allowing the GPU to stay at a lower voltage makes it cooler.

How is your case? It might have a lot of dust built up in it or the airflow could be pretty bad. 83c

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not to worry, there are protections in place to help prevent that.

83C is the default thermal limit - it can be raised to 91C, but this doesn't help anything.
These cards are temperature sensitive - power and voltage aside - so higher temperatures equates to lower sustained boost clocks and hitting the thermal limits drops clocks, screwing with performance further.

As GameCrucnh posted, typically just increasing power limit and core clock won't do anything in your situation, since you've told us that you're at the thermal threshold for this card.