Question How to set fan curve based on GPU temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
While playing games, my gpu (2060 super) reaches 80C. But when I manually set the case exhaust fans to higher rpms, the temps drop to 78C or even 76C sometimes.
In most of these scenarios, my cpu (Ryzen 5 3600) is mostly at 65C and for fewer games it is 80C.

So, I tried setting up fan curve (for case exhaust fans) based on temperature.
The problem is, in bios settings, there is only these options for temperature as source - cpu, pch, mosfet etc.
There is no option to set case fan speed based on GPU temperature.

How do I resolve this? I want to setup case fan curve based on gpu temps.
(Note: I am not asking for setting fan curve for gpu fans. I am asking to set case fan curves based on gpu temperature.)

Last edited:
AFAIK there is no way to do this via BIOS etc, since the GPU temp readings come from an expansion card, not something directly placed on the motherboard.
You have two options in my eyes, either go with a software control that can read GPU temps and adjust accordingly (I believe speedfan used to do this, but Ive never really liked it)
Or,
Get yourself a decent fan controller that can monitor case temperatures, its not a direct linking like you want, but a hot GPU is going to heat up a case real fast, which would be read by the controller and adjust accordingly.

I personally would go with the fan controller because it would give a more gradual change to fan speeds and case temps, it would put unneeded stress on your fans if they ramp up and down continually with GPU load in games (loading screen, etc) since the case would buffer these changes and average out the speeds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V80IQTS?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
AFAIK there is no way to do this via BIOS etc, since the GPU temp readings come from an expansion card, not something directly placed on the motherboard.
You have two options in my eyes, either go with a software control that can read GPU temps and adjust accordingly (I believe speedfan used to do this, but Ive never really liked it)
Or,
Get yourself a decent fan controller that can monitor case temperatures, its not a direct linking like you want, but a hot GPU is going to heat up a case real fast, which would be read by the controller and adjust accordingly.

Well, I really like to have a fan controller but my case (CM MB511 RGB) doesn't have 5.25 drive bay support so I cannot do this.

I personally would go with the fan controller because it would give a more gradual change to fan speeds and case temps, it would put unneeded stress on your fans if they ramp up and down continually with GPU load in games (loading screen, etc) since the case would buffer these changes and average out the speeds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V80IQTS?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

Didn't understand that "unneeded stress point". U mean fan controller is bad?

If you had your case fans responding directly to GPU temps their speed would fluctuate more rapidly than case responding to case temps, rapid changes in fan speeds arent exactly great for fan lifespans, its not bad, but still.

Another alternative would be software integrated hubs like Corsairs offerings, which would integrate with iCUE to allow for on board control without a 5.25" Drive bay.

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
If you had your case fans responding directly to GPU temps their speed would fluctuate more rapidly than case responding to case temps, rapid changes in fan speeds arent exactly great for fan lifespans, its not bad, but still.

Another alternative would be software integrated hubs like Corsairs offerings, which would integrate with iCUE to allow for on board control without a 5.25" Drive bay.

okay. Looks like there is no reasonable alternative to this. I just came across a software called "Argus monitor" which claims to control case fans with gpu temps. I will have to try this out.

So, if there is no other way, is there any possibility like this:
Let's say we can create 2 profiles, where profile 1 is - fans work normally. In profile 2, I can set the case fans to work in 80% speed, so whenever I want to game I can just switch the profile and game on. Is this really possible?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The root of this problem is that there never has been any industry-standard way for an added video card (in a PCIe slot, typically) to send out to the mobo the video card temperature sensor signal. So no mobo maker can be sure that any video card plugged into its slots will give it such info to use for fan control. There is at least one mobo maker who also makes video cards, and they have created their own "brand-specific" non-standard way to do this. So, on some of their mobos IF you also install one of that same maker's video cards, this trick can be done.

Other video card makers have a small part of this done, but not so you could use it. Many video cards come with management software that somehow can display the cards' temperature, and ALSO allows YOU to set up your own version of how the card's cooling fan responds to temperature changes. So obviously they have a way to make their card's temp sensor info available through the PCIe bus, but there's still so standard way that a mobo maker could rely on.

There are some third-party fan control software tools that include the ability to control the video card fan system. I have to presume that they can only work on cards that the software maker has all the secret non-standard suff for and that you must customize the software a bit when you install it.

However, that does offer another route for you to investigate. As I said, many video card makers' card management tools include a way to observe what their own on-card cooling fan control system is doing AND allow you to customize that, just as you can create custom fan cooling curves for a CASE fan controlled by the mobo header. Maybe that is how you can change your card's settings to run its fan faster at high temperatures.

Another possibility is to use that common feature of the mobo SYS_FAN headers that allows you to specify your own custom fan speed control curve, even though it is still based on the temperature sensor on the mobo, and NOT on the video card temp. You could just tell the header that controls fan(s) that blow toward the video card to run faster than the normal pre-defined curve would do. This would "over-cool" the mobo, but would increase air flow in the video card area.

My last possibility would require a bunch more custom work and some preliminary info search first, and might void the video card warranty! Since the card has its own cooling fan and its own fan speed control system based on the card's own temp sensor, you MIGHT be able to tap into the fan power (and speed) control system on the CARD and feed those signals out also to an external standard case fan. That way the fan would be powered and controlled by the video card, not by the mobo. Before doing that you would need to know whether the video card's fan signals are really the same as a standard case fan uses. Then you also need to know the limit of the power the video card can send to its fans. After all, the video card is not designed for any and all standard case fans, and for adding extra fans to its outputs.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020
How do I resolve this? I want to setup case fan curve based on gpu temps.
(Note: I am not asking for setting fan curve for gpu fans. I am asking to set case fan curves based on gpu temperature.)

Using the system BIOS or your OS this is not possible, but you can use 3rd party software. One option would be to try out Argus Monitor, where you can use any temperature source (or a combination of up to four different ones) and use a control curve to set the fan speeds of your system/case fans. So, also rather complex fan control settings are possible, but if you are only looking for a way to control the system fans based on your GPU temperature, this is most certainly a possible way to achieve this.

fan_control_page.png

Reactions: dugt and getochkn

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Seems like tying it to the CPU is good enough no? I mean if the GPU is working harder the CPU will be too.
Mines set up like that and it pretty much goes from whisper quiet to yeah its moving alot of air when I start gaming.

Are you getting crazy temps or is it more theoretical?

Argus Monitor worked out great. I do a lot of rendering and sometimes my GPU is maxed while the CPU isn't used much at all, so therefore trying to trigger any case fans based on CPU temp was pointless. Using Argus, I was able to have the front bottom case fan ramp up when the GPU temp goes up, which is the one that goes right across my Quadro RTX card, so it can get fresh air even if the CPU isn't being hammered on.

Reactions: dugt
Status
Not open for further replies.