[SOLVED] How to transfer Windows and should you partition SDD?

Apr 23, 2021
I'm sorry if this is a wrong forum but I can't google anymore. Please help me. I need explanation for dummies. I'm probably smart enough (IQ-wise) to follow detailed instructions, but I don't understand anything about how anything works.

I have a 5 years old laptop with a HDD disk. I never used any additional (external) disks or anything.
5 years ago I also bought new Windows 10 and I somehow made 2 disks (that I see under "My Computer") when installing it (does that mean to partition your disk?). Plus the System Reserved One. I'm not sure why I did it, I thought I had to I guess.

Now I bought a new laptop with a SDD disk. I intend to transfer my Windows 10.

How do I do that? Firstly I have to somehow disable it on the first laptop? That means that I lose everything on the first laptop, there will not be 2 partitions anymore? MAYBE if I will have time, I will keep the old laptop (instead of selling it) and try to learn linux or something. And the laptop will be like new, all data lost? Or, by any chance, the main partition (where there are programs and such) stays untouched? I never undestood that. Can you reverse partitioning or not? Can you change your mind later and make 1 partition instead of 2 or maybe 3 instead of 2? Are your data safe while doing that? Do you lose all data? Does me partitioning the disk 5 years ago has anything to do with installing Windows? Will deinstalling Windows change anything about partitions?

The new laptop doesn't have an optical drive. How do I install Windows? I have all the documents and codes at home. If I remember correctly, when you are installing windows, you have to decide on partitions? Do I have to do it? To partition it? Is there any tutorial with printscreens because I forgot what exactly are the options. What are the pros and cons of partitioning (SDD)? How big should be the system partition? I never understood that. I don't want to do anything wrong on the new laptop. I think - I'm not sure - that maybe I had some troubles with Windows not updating because something related to System Reserved Partition on the old laptop. Could it be too small?

As far as files, pictures, music etc are concered, I have that covered (clouds, flash drives etc). As far as programs are concered, the only way is to install everything again on a new laptop, is that correct? I would just need the .exe files (and I shouldn't copy folders from Program folders) and just manually install all the little programs again? (I don't mean Office (I don't even have it), just free programs from the internet etc). I also have to reinstall things like fonts?

Solution
To use the laptop? What is the correct word if not "transfer" then? Neither old nor new laptop came with Windows, the licence is retail.
OK.
I asked, because the majority of new laptops come with an OS already installed, and an OEM license that can't be transferred.

So...
You can't 'transfer' the OS (and applications) from old to new. It would almost certainly fail to work properly.
Windows isn't modular to be moved between differing hardware.

You'll have to do a new install on the new system.

A retail license can be used on the new laptop. Repurpose the old one to some other OS.

USAFRet

Titan
To use the laptop? What is the correct word if not "transfer" then? Neither old nor new laptop came with Windows, the licence is retail.
OK.
I asked, because the majority of new laptops come with an OS already installed, and an OEM license that can't be transferred.

So...
You can't 'transfer' the OS (and applications) from old to new. It would almost certainly fail to work properly.
Windows isn't modular to be moved between differing hardware.

You'll have to do a new install on the new system.

A retail license can be used on the new laptop. Repurpose the old one to some other OS.

Solution
Apr 23, 2021
Meanwhile I learned that there's no need to partition SDD disk?
I just save everything I need somewhere else, prepare USB flash drive (installation media) and follow the instructions for a new installation.
But before puting usb stick into new laptop I should format the old one? How? Should I deinstall product key? I've read some tutorial where it says you also have to install product key in com. prompt. on new computer, is that step necessary?

USAFRet

Titan
Meanwhile I learned that there's no need to partition SDD disk?
I just save everything I need somewhere else, prepare USB flash drive (installation media) and follow the instructions for a new installation.
But before puting usb stick into new laptop I should format the old one? How? Should I deinstall product key? I've read some tutorial where it says you also have to install product key in com. prompt. on new computer, is that step necessary?
There is rarely a need to partition a drive, SSD or HDD, into multiple partitions.

You can save it on that same OS drive/partition.
You also NEED a true backup. Some other device, with a second/third copy of any data you do not wish to lose.

Create your own Win 10 USB to install from.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You don't need to do anything special with the new laptop drive before, or "format" the old one.

You don't need to do any command prompt stuff with the license on the old laptop.

Enter your license key when prompted during the install.

Reactions: Cj-tech
Apr 23, 2021
Should I DELETE all pre-existing partitions which are not "unallocated space"?
IMG-20210430-121029.jpg

Apr 23, 2021
Thanks.
I sort of expected the old laptop to stop working or something. :) Should I deinstall the key in the old one? I don't want them suddenly noticing I'm using 2 computers and cause me problems on the new one.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks.
I sort of expected the old laptop to stop working or something. :) Should I deinstall the key in the old one? I don't want them suddenly noticing I'm using 2 computers and cause me problems on the new one.
So, a Retail license, that is now applied to the new laptop?

Check in your MS account and see if one or both are listed there.
If the old one still is, you can disable its license there.

"deinstall" on the laptop does nothing, really.

The old one won't suddenly 'stop working'
But if you continue to use both with that same license, one or the other, or maybe both, will Unactivate.