Question How to transmit an HDMI signal through a wifi router to my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_Cross

Prominent
Apr 16, 2019
I'm hoping I can get some sort of device to receive an existing HDMI signal and feed it into a WIFI router using an ethernet output, which can then be picked up by my PC which is already connected through wifi to that same router. Surely I can cut out the need for a receiver!

the WIFI router and video source sit on top of each other so it makes sense to me to do it this way, surely this is possible? Connection speed on the network is at least 30 mbps so speed should not be an issue.

Is this possible, if so, please say where the equipment can be purchased and links too if possible.

All solutions I've found online so far involve both a transmitter and a receiver communicating either by ethernet cable directly, via wifi directly, or through the use of a router connected via wifi.

Chris_Cross

Prominent
Apr 16, 2019
No such configuration exists.

What are you trying to achieve?
I have recordings held on a Virgin Tivo system and in another part of the house I have a computer which is connected to a Virgin Superhub.

The problem is that although I can watch programs through TV Anywhere, I can't watch any of the recorded programs held on the Tivo system.

I was hoping I could take the HDMI output from the Tivo system as an input to a device and then use an Ethernet output from the device to connect to the Virgin Superhub, from there it should be possible in theory to pick up the connection on my computer through the existing Wifi connection to the Superhub.

Unfortunately I haven't found such a system yet

Last edited:

Chris_Cross

Prominent
Apr 16, 2019
Since HDMI is a copy protected interface, creating what you want would violate the copy protection since multiple devices could receive and capture the high def media without the HDCP
Since HDMI is a copy protected interface, creating what you want would violate the copy protection since multiple devices could receive and capture the high def media without the HDCP
Hm! Didn't know that, I guess that's why most HDMI Transmitter/Receivers are 1 to 1 then.

But isn't that exactly what the transmitters and receivers are doing, I've even seen them advertised with multiple receivers too. The only difference I can see is that the signal is travelling over a custom wifi connection rather than a standard WIFI Network connection so they are essentially the same thing.

but thanks for your post

Status
Not open for further replies.