[SOLVED] HP 4795 printer prints blank pages - with full ink cartridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

babb

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I've got an HP 4795 printer connected to a Windows computer. This printer has worked fine with the computer for several years. It has fresh cartridges in it and the HP GUI says the cartridges are full, yet it is printing blank pages. I have tried running all the alignment tools in the GUI, rebooting the computer, power cycling the printer as well as removing and reinserting the cartridges. I even removed the cartridges and touched their print head on a piece of paper and observed ink. But it is still printing blank pages. Any thoughts?

Solution
Have you replaced the drum?
It's an inkjet printer, there is no drum.

OP, are your cartridges OEM or from a 3rd party?
Are the cartridges new or refilled?
How often does this printer get used?
Is the printer left powered on at all times or does it get turned off and just sit between uses?

Basically, inkjets are very finicky, they must be powered up at all times because they have automated head maintenance routines that should never be interrupted. They must also be used every day and not left sitting. 3rd party or refilled cartridges are, to put it in a single word, GARBAGE. Use only new OEM cartridges. Also, check to make sure that you removed the tape from the backside of the cartridges as that will block the contact...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Have you replaced the drum? Does your unit tell you it needs them (if it does)?

The only other thing I can consider could be dependent on the age of the unit. Many newer printers, and other devices, have a method by which it can tell if you are using official replacements. In some cases if you buy aftermarket cartridges it won't print. My experience with this on a Brother is somewhat different than yours in so much that mine will tell us that either it isn't a genuine cartridge or that it's empty.

babb

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Have you replaced the drum? Does your unit tell you it needs them (if it does)?

The only other thing I can consider could be dependent on the age of the unit. Many newer printers, and other devices, have a method by which it can tell if you are using official replacements. In some cases if you buy aftermarket cartridges it won't print. My experience with this on a Brother is somewhat different than yours in so much that mine will tell us that either it isn't a genuine cartridge or that it's empty.
Nope; there is no error message. I would sooner get a new printer than replace the drum.

Have you replaced the drum?

OP, are your cartridges OEM or from a 3rd party?
Are the cartridges new or refilled?
How often does this printer get used?
Is the printer left powered on at all times or does it get turned off and just sit between uses?

Basically, inkjets are very finicky, they must be powered up at all times because they have automated head maintenance routines that should never be interrupted. They must also be used every day and not left sitting. 3rd party or refilled cartridges are, to put it in a single word, GARBAGE. Use only new OEM cartridges. Also, check to make sure that you removed the tape from the backside of the cartridges as that will block the contact points (though that should show as either empty or missing cartridges, normally).

If you've been through all of this and still get blank pages then it's time to bite the bullet and replace it. It would cost you much more than it's worth to take it to a shop for evaluation/repair. You might also look into a color laser. They're more expensive up front but much more inexpensive per page than inkjet. Plus, they can sit for days/weeks between uses without issues.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

There is another component, although I cannot think of what it's called. A Toner or something?
We use a specific family of Brother ink jets and in addition to the ink cartridge there is another FAR more expensive component that goes out from time to time. I rather feel like what the OP said in relation to that part, due to cost. Our issue being that we are invested in this family of printers as a company, we all have the same one...there are 4 of them operational between our office and homes, and it continues (for now) to be cheaper to keep them all working and ordering easy between us all.

There is another component, although I cannot think of what it's called. A Toner or something?
We use a specific family of Brother ink jets and in addition to the ink cartridge there is another FAR more expensive component that goes out from time to time. I rather feel like what the OP said in relation to that part, due to cost. Our issue being that we are invested in this family of printers as a company, we all have the same one...there are 4 of them operational between our office and homes, and it continues (for now) to be cheaper to keep them all working and ordering easy between us all.

Inkjets don't have toner, the toner is the ink in a laser printer. On an inkjet there is the print head and the ink, in some printers the print head is part of the ink cartridge, in some it's not and the print head can go out at times. There are other parts also but they don't fail much past maybe the belt and motor/gears that move the cartridge assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.