[SOLVED] I am looking to buy a new cpu fan for a i5-7500, because the noise from the fan is really annoying and i will be buying 850W power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veselinve

Commendable
Jan 18, 2022
I don't know which one to choose and I don't understand how tdp works for the power supply, but i don't want unneeded power drain from the fan.
I have been looking at options and I don't know how much CFM I need; the budget is about 50$.
I've been looking through these
The main things are quietness and the wattage.
ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports
be quiet! Pure Rock 2
be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

For the power Supply:
ASUS ROG STRIX 850W GOLD (ROG-STRIX-850G) or Corsair RM850x 850W 80 PLUS Gold (CP-9020200-EU)

Last edited:
Solution
for recommendations on a power supply your entire system specs need to be included.
850w should really only be necessary with a RX 6900 XT / RTX 3080 Ti or equivalent graphics card.
be quiet! Pure Rock 2
the Pure Rock 2 is the best out of this batch.

but this not a "fan".
this is an entire CPU cooler with heatsink and fans.

if you are looking for just a replacement fan you will need to include which cooler you are currently using.
for recommendations on a power supply your entire system specs need to be included.
850w should really only be necessary with a RX 6900 XT / RTX 3080 Ti or equivalent graphics card.
be quiet! Pure Rock 2
the Pure Rock 2 is the best out of this batch.

but this not a "fan".
this is an entire CPU cooler with heatsink and fans.

if you are looking for just a replacement fan you will need to include which cooler you are currently using.

Reactions: Veselinve
Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
TDP is a spec for a CPU cooler device. It is a guide (not perfect, but very helpful) for the maximum heat power it can remove from a CPU chip operating at full load. In turn, CPU chips themselves normally have a TDP rating - the max heat they will dissipate. So you match these, or get a cooler with slightly excess heat removal capacity.

TDP is NOT related to PSU max power output. The power consumed by a CPU cooler is VERY small compared to PSU max output. For a cooler consisting of a finned heatsink held against the CPU and a fan blowing air through the heatink fins, the power consumption of the whole unit typically is less than 3 W. The real limit here is the maximum AMPS electrical draw the fan takes from the CPU_FAN header on the mobo. That header supplies up to 12 VDC, and can provide up to 1.0 A current to the connected fan. One such fan normally uses no more than 0.25 A max. The heaviest load that header ever is likely to see would be certain designs of AIO (liquid-cooled system) coolers that draw power for both their pump and all three rad fans from that source, and even that is likely not to exceed 0.8 A, or 10 W.

The choice of CPU cooler (and its power needs) are NOT a factor to worry about in selecting a PSU.

Reactions: Veselinve

Veselinve

Commendable
Jan 18, 2022
Thank you, i have already purchased ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports Duo
TDP is a spec for a CPU cooler device. It is a guide (not perfect, but very helpful) for the maximum heat power it can remove from a CPU chip operating at full load. In turn, CPU chips themselves normally have a TDP rating - the max heat they will dissipate. So you match these, or get a cooler with slightly excess heat removal capacity.

TDP is NOT related to PSU max power output. The power consumed by a CPU cooler is VERY small compared to PSU max output. For a cooler consisting of a finned heatsink held against the CPU and a fan blowing air through the heatink fins, the power consumption of the whole unit typically is less than 3 W. The real limit here is the maximum AMPS electrical draw the fan takes from the CPU_FAN header on the mobo. That header supplies up to 12 VDC, and can provide up to 1.0 A current to the connected fan. One such fan normally uses no more than 0.25 A max. The heaviest load that header ever is likely to see would be certain designs of AIO (liquid-cooled system) coolers that draw power for both their pump and all three rad fans from that source, and even that is likely not to exceed 0.8 A, or 10 W.

The choice of CPU cooler (and its power needs) are NOT a factor to worry about in selecting a PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.