[SOLVED] I can't understand if my laptop will be able to pair with a 144hz monitor

tpereiiraq98

Reputable
May 9, 2016
linktr.ee
Hello everyone,
I have the "OMEN by HP 15-dc1044np" laptop and I'm thinking about building a desk setup and paring it with the "TUF Gaming VG259Q" monitor.
I'm having trouble finding conclusive information about ports/cables and versions. Based on this, could you please tell me if my laptop will be able to push 144hz out of the external monitor, and the best port and cable? Thank you

Laptop:
https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c06433907
Monitor:

Solution
Laptop has a mini Displayport and USBc 3.1 Gen 2/Thunderbolt 3 port with Displayport capabilities. Either cable (USBc to DP or mini DP to DP) will work for 144Hz.

More info here.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Laptop has a mini Displayport and USBc 3.1 Gen 2/Thunderbolt 3 port with Displayport capabilities. Either cable (USBc to DP or mini DP to DP) will work for 144Hz.

More info here.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it will connect fine but unless it has a high end discrete gpu it won't oush 144 hz at 1440p for sure. the specs you linked only show it using the igp which won't even come close to pushing that minonitor fully. it will output 1440p and work fine for normal use but for games it won't push it at all.

tpereiiraq98

Reputable
May 9, 2016
linktr.ee
it will connect fine but unless it has a high end discrete gpu it won't oush 144 hz at 1440p for sure. the specs you linked only show it using the igp which won't even come close to pushing that minonitor fully. it will output 1440p and work fine for normal use but for games it won't push it at all.
I will use it at 1080p, and I want to take fully advantage of the 144hz, just like the laptop screen (IPS anti-glare fullhd 144hz)

tpereiiraq98

Reputable
May 9, 2016
linktr.ee

More info here.
Do you have any suggestion for a cable?
How about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/-/pt/dp/B07N...ix=mini+displayport+to+display,aps,229&sr=8-3

tpereiiraq98

Reputable
May 9, 2016
linktr.ee
A semi-late response to an already solved question, but ASUS claims you can achieve a max of 120 Hz through HDMI.

Wondering if this is true though, as I aswell am going to buy this monitor, as an external (atleast) 120 Hz monitor for my laptop.
Hello "IamBestDuuD" and hello to everyone. I ended up getting the AOC 24G2U monitor and It works great at 1080@144hz with the laptop hdmi port and the hdmi cable that came with the monitor. Thank you all for your help.