Question I have r9 290x that seems to be giving errors from the vBIOS possibly corrupted, can I simply switch the bios and see if that one works?

angwww

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2016
Zero's on your GPU-Z screenie. Just to make sure you're seeing Error Code 43 on Device Manager. Your GPU's a goner. If you want to flash the VBIOS on your GPU, you should make sure it's the exact one that matches your SKU on your GPU.

Try this;
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/148519/sapphire-r9290x-4096-130930-1
it's the same VBIOS revision number as shown in your GPU-Z screenie.
I think my GPU is a reference sapphire r9 290x, shouldn't I use the latest one of that type I thought you had to do that I'm a total noob in flashing, I'm trying to fix this if possible but yeah

I'm not really sure how to tell if I got error code 43, I managed to install the driver in forced safe boot via dedit default safe boot, but it would crash straight away after I tried to boot it the normal way

Last edited:
I think my GPU is a reference sapphire r9 290x
It could be or not your fix with that Error Code 43.

On the older AMD "reference" cards with Windows 10 plus newer drivers AMD kicked those reference card from letting the drivers install as AMD kicked out modded GPU bios.

But the kicker was the reference cards bios were factory.

I delt with this on a RX 480 reference that did the code 43.

I saved the hacks that needs to be installed on computer to let the driver move forward. Been a couple of years so might need dig where I put it.

That RX 480 with the solution from wherever I got it from back in 2019 or 20 is still cursing along just fine.

Reactions: angwww

angwww

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2016
It could be or not your fix with that Error Code 43.

On the older AMD "reference" cards with Windows 10 plus newer drivers AMD kicked those reference card from letting the drivers install as AMD kicked out modded GPU bios.

But the kicker was the reference cards bios were factory.

I delt with this on a RX 480 reference that did the code 43.

I saved the hacks that needs to be installed on computer to let the driver move forward. Been a couple of years so might need dig where I put it.

That RX 480 with the solution from wherever I got it from back in 2019 or 20 is still cursing along just fine.
Ok I think I found it, code 43 when you install the amd driver right on device manager. The thing is with mine I can only try to install the driver but the screen will turn to black and freeze basically every time, i apologize that screen shot might cause to give the wrong idea, I managed to install that one with manual update to downloaded driver in forced safe boot via dedit command prompt, but I think I checked it in device manager and it didn't give any errors or code 43 until I booted up normally and black screen and freeze.

I can try plugging in the GPU and looking at device manager doing it again and I can try to see if it gives me that error

vBIOS does not just become corrupted. Unless you tinkered with it, it should not be the issue. Those Hawaii cards run hot and the voltage supply fails, memory fails, pcb warps causing ic separation etc. Most of the time it is a hardware issue except in those cases where tinkering is the cause. Besides, even if corrupt, you can't just pick a file and flash it to make your card work - it has to match the board layout and memory timing. It has to match the heat dissipation design envelope, etc. Ideally, get the exact card model bios if you decide to follow this path and backup before writing. Send front/back high-res pcb pictures, will maybe identify it for you