Question I keep having to change which slot I have my gpu in.

Jan 15, 2020
A couple of months ago I came home and tried to put my computer on. It appeared to be trying to boot but I couldn't get anything to display on my monitors.

All of my fans were still running and lighting up and there was no weird beeping. I tried other monitors, and cables for my gpu. The problem persisted. I took the gpu out and reseated it but there was no luck. So I moved it into another slot and the monitors would come on. Problem is this problem would reoccur every so often and when I moved the card back to the original slot it worked again. So my sister was in the middle of playing a game on my computer the other day with the g920 driving setup and the computer just completely turned off in the middle of it and restarted. The light which I have to manually turn off whenever my motherboard is reset was back on, but the computer booted back up as usual and everything was working.

Now a couple days later my computer has failed to start up after switchingit off overnight. The same issue as before. No signal to my monitors. And what seemed to be no signal to any peripherals at all because my mouse wasn't lighting up but I'm not sure if that's normal until I'm logged in.

I reseated my ram, I replaced the cmos battery. I took out the main cables inside my computer and made sure they were all properly reinserted. Ive checked thay my psu fan is running and it is. All fans are still functional. Still no joy....

So I took my gpu out and placed it in another slot and what do you know... the computer boots as normal and everything is working. Whatever this problem is it seems to not just be affecting my gpu but any other peripheral and I'm worried about my psu and motherboard at this point. Any help understanding this issue would be much appreciated.

Specs(self-build)

PSU: Corsair CX600M
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k
Memory: 16gb hyperX fury(4x4)
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3 Intel LGA1150 Z97 (4x DDR3)
GPU: GTX 950 2gb

Built in 2016

Last edited: