[SOLVED] I need an adapter to connect my 3 pin rgb cable to my 4 pin header on the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2021
Motherboard: GIGABYTE b450m ds3h
Fans: Gelid Stella RGB fans

So I need to hook up the rgb to the motherboard. However, the male and female rgb connectors are only 3 pins, but my motherboard only has a 4 pin header.

is there any adapter I can use to connect my rgb fans to the 4 pin header?

Solution
Yes, that will work, but not as you expect. The fundamental issue is that you can NOT power and control a 3-pin ARGB lighting system from a 4-pin plain RGB lighting header and there is NO simple adapter. One option is to buy a special type of ARGB lighting HUB that can accept the plain RGB lighting header control signals and "translate" all that into "ARGB language" (if you will) so that the lights do work under mobo control with the proper power supply. BUT that only gets you the simpler types of displays a plain RGB system can do. The other system is closer to what you suggest - buy a separate ARGB Controller that does the job properly, as that item does, giving you all of the diplay capability of ARGB. BUT you can NOT connect that...
Jan 29, 2021
You can plug a 3pin into a 4pin header for Fans but not ARGB You can't.
3-pin ARGB headers are 5V with a 5V pin, a single data pin, a blank spot and a ground pin.
4-pin RGB headers are 12V with 12V, red, blue and green pins.
Plugging an ARGB strip into a non-ARGB header will blow out the strip.

For ARGB you need a hub. One like this: https://www.coolermaster.com/au/en-au/catalog/coolers/rgb-accessories/masterfan-argb-and-pwm-hub/
Would something like this work?

johnsoner13

Respectable
You can plug a 3pin into a 4pin header for Fans but not ARGB You can't.
3-pin ARGB headers are 5V with a 5V pin, a single data pin, a blank spot and a ground pin.
4-pin RGB headers are 12V with 12V, red, blue and green pins.
Plugging an ARGB strip into a non-ARGB header will blow out the strip.

For ARGB you need a hub. One like this: https://www.coolermaster.com/au/en-au/catalog/coolers/rgb-accessories/masterfan-argb-and-pwm-hub/
That wouldn’t work, he said his mobo doesn’t have any 5v 3 pin argb headers

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, that will work, but not as you expect. The fundamental issue is that you can NOT power and control a 3-pin ARGB lighting system from a 4-pin plain RGB lighting header and there is NO simple adapter. One option is to buy a special type of ARGB lighting HUB that can accept the plain RGB lighting header control signals and "translate" all that into "ARGB language" (if you will) so that the lights do work under mobo control with the proper power supply. BUT that only gets you the simpler types of displays a plain RGB system can do. The other system is closer to what you suggest - buy a separate ARGB Controller that does the job properly, as that item does, giving you all of the diplay capability of ARGB. BUT you can NOT connect that item to your mobo plain RGB header, either, so you can NOT control the lights from the mobo header and its software tool. You MUST use the manual remote control box that comes in that set to make all your ARGB lighting changes.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.