Question I need help with my PC overheating

Jan 8, 2020
Hi
So yesterday my trusty old gaming pc started acting up. It started with a crash a "blue-screen" and when I googled my erro-code and it said that i had some temperature problems. At first i didn't think much of it as my computer had been running for like 24 hours so i wasn't very surprised so i just rebooted it and kept on playing. Six hours later this happened again so i thought for myself: It has been a few months since i last cleaned the case. So I did. Used and airspray to clean out everything. The radiator to the cpu fan was filled with dust buildup so I cleared that put everything back where it was before. Then booted up the pc this time i entered the BIOS to see if I could turn up all my fans to the max which I did all of the fans are working and the cpu cooler fan is running at 6900rpm but even though the fans were all running at max speed I still could see that my cpu was idling at 80 degrees C in the BIOS. I then turned the pc off and waited a couple of hours before turning it back on again.

When I later turned it back on started my pc got into OS and did some stress tests, such as playing games and so on. After like 15 mins of playing rainbow 6 siege I looked at my temps noticed that they were at about 90 degrees C. Immediately turned the pc off as I was scared i was gonna fry the CPU.

After this I figured it might be the thermal paste that has gone old as I know you're supposed to replace the thermal paste from time to time. So I went to a pc-repair shop and bought Cooler Masters High performance Thermal compound HTK-002. I removed my heatsink and removed all of the old thermal paste residue with paper towels and rubbing alcohol. Took the new thermal paste but a small "bean" on the cpu put the heatsink back on, spread the thermal paste around for a bit then lightly screwed on the heatsink. Now with new thermal paste, no dust in the case good airflow and all fans working on max my pc still starts at 30 degrees C and in the course of just 30 seconds of idling goes up to 90+ degrees C.

What can I do? What have I done wrong?

SPECS
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A
CPU: Intel Core I5-4690K 3.5GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6gb
RAM: 16 GB ddr3
CPU COOLER: Old corsair hydro cooler with 1 fan on the radiator

Sorry if my english is bad. English is not my first language.

EDIT: I want to specify that while all of this has happened ive felt on the heatsink and on the rest of the case/on CPU and it has always felt cold to the touch but the CPU still overheats.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try with a different cooler later today see if it fixes my problem.
Most likely the pump is shot on the old Hydro cooler and a new cooler is all you need.

The pumps in those AIOs don't last forever. They're good for 3-5 years(depending on daily use), after which they'll inevitably die, forcing you to replace the entire unit.

Jan 8, 2020
Most likely the pump is shot on the old Hydro cooler and a new cooler is all you need.

The pumps in those AIOs don't last forever. They're good for 3-5 years(depending on daily use), after which they'll inevitably die, forcing you to replace the entire unit.
I've ordered a new one, should be arriving soon. Thanks for the help. :)
Also it's no wonder then my pump is failing it's been sitting in my pc for close to 7 years now lmao.

Reactions: Phaaze88

TRENDING THREADS