Feb 10, 2020
Last Week when i was removing my shoes i accidentally touched my pc and got esd on the back metal panel of the case. As soon as I got the zap the radiator fans went to maximum speed and the cooler died. The pump in not working cos I can't hear the liquid moving. What should I do??? I am so scared to use the pc cos I think I might make some other damages. HELP.

My pc:
I7 9700k
Gigabyte rtx2070
16 GB ram
1t hdd
500 ssd
Liquid cooler nzxt kraken x52 (dead)
Etc....

The thing is that temperatures are ok and they are recognizable. I can't control fan speed, the cooler is dead, the fans are at max speed.

Feb 10, 2020
stick with 1 thread
Last Week when i was removing my shoes i accidentally touched my pc and got esd on the back metal panel of the case. As soon as I got the zap the radiator fans went to maximum speed and the cooler died. The pump in not working cos I can't hear the liquid moving. What should I do??? I am so scared to use the pc cos I thing I might make some other damages. HELP.

My pc:

I7 9700k

Gigabyte rtx2070

16 GB ram

1t hdd

500 ssd

Liquid cooler nzxt kraken x52 (dead)

Etc....

The thing is that temperatures are ok and they are recognizable. I can't control fan speed, the cooler is dead, the fans are at max speed.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
if your pumps dead from ESD youll have to probably replace it , I wonder if resetting Bios would maybe help, perhaps some setting was shut off somehow when case was zapped. Ive done something similar in past (only with LED lights hooked to wrong header) and I ended up causing a small discharge but it was enough to kill the fan headers ability to control fans speed. it did still work , once I reset the Bios (as I has a system fan error and PC wouldn't boot) .. when it was "working" however it was at 100% all the time so had lost all ability to control speed.

Reactions: Giovalb
Feb 10, 2020
if your pumps dead from ESD youll have to probably replace it , I wonder if resetting Bios would maybe help, perhaps some setting was shut off somehow when case was zapped. Ive done something similar in past (only with LED lights hooked to wrong header) and I ended up causing a small discharge but it was enough to kill the fan headers ability to control fans speed. it did still work , once I reset the Bios (as I has a system fan error and PC wouldn't boot) .. when it was "working" however it was at 100% all the time so had lost all ability to control speed.
So should I try to remove and reapply cmos battery or take the pc to the technician directly?

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
unplug PC from wall, remove battery and look for the CMOS jumper pins (should be 3 pins somewhere on MB labled CLEAR CMOS , normally near Cmos battery or Bios chips ) Move the little plastic jumper from the 2 pins it's on over to the other pins (in a 3-pin setup where the center pin is shared) or remove the jumper entirely if this is a 2-pin setup. Any confusion here can be cleared up by checking the CMOS clearing steps outlined in your computer or motherboard manual.

Turn the computer back on and make sure that the BIOS settings have reset, or the system password is now cleared — if that's why you were clearing CMOS.

If everything is good, turn off your computer, return the jumper to its original position, and then turn the computer back on. If you don't do this, CMOS will clear on every restart of your computer!

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
and PC will crash before killing itself, or should.. so you can turn on for short periods before the CPU will get so hot as to cause a crash, however DONT do this repeatedly .. if Cmos reset doesn't work, Id almost think you'll have to replace something, could be on motherboard, power supply etc.. anything could of been killed with ESD so in that case maybe a Tech will be best bet, unless you can troubleshoot parts.

Feb 10, 2020
So basically yes with esd I broke the cooler.... so I requested a refund from amazon cos nzxt wouldn't do it.... after a month I got my PC back to functioning, I just had to replace the cooler...