Noah Weston

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
I am on a Asus 1080 Strix... had it for a few years now been working perfect. Driver version 456.71. I opened up chrome and I heard the disconnect sound subsequently followed by a blank display... then a reconnect sound and my display came back. All back to normal. I checked event viewer which showed
''The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated with the following error:
A generic command executable returned a result that indicates failure.''

I also saw this tab in event viewer which occurred 20 seconds before my display problem stating
''Installation Started: Windows has started installing the following update: NVIDIA - Display - 27.21.14.5671'' @9:22:45
''Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service NVHDA for Device Instance ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0083&SUBSYS_104385AA&REV_1001\5&11026ADE&0&0001 with the following status: 0.'' @ 9:23:05
This was followed by the local system container error. @ 9:23:31
Then ''The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 6000 milliseconds: Restart the service.'' @9:23:31
Concluded by Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: NVIDIA - Display - 27.21.14.5671 @9:23:56

I am completely confused on what happened to my system... why would It driver update on its own

Solution
I am on a Asus 1080 Strix... had it for a few years now been working perfect. Driver version 456.71. I opened up chrome and I heard the disconnect sound subsequently followed by a blank display... then a reconnect sound and my display came back. All back to normal. I checked event viewer which showed

I also saw this tab in event viewer which occurred 20 seconds before my display problem stating
''Installation Started: Windows has started installing the following update: NVIDIA - Display - 27.21.14.5671'' @9:22:45
''Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service NVHDA...

''Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service NVHDA for Device Instance ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0083&SUBSYS_104385AA&REV_1001\5&11026ADE&0&0001 with the following status: 0.'' @ 9:23:05
This was followed by the local system container error. @ 9:23:31
Then ''The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 6000 milliseconds: Restart the service.'' @9:23:31
Concluded by Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: NVIDIA - Display - 27.21.14.5671 @9:23:56

I am completely confused on what happened to my system... why would It driver update on its own
What you encountered was Windows updating the GPU drivers and it has been doing that for a while now.
You might have not seen it before, since updating other drivers might not show any signs and it is performed in the background.
When a GPU driver is updated the screen will either flicker, flashes, goes blank, changed resolution or all of these.
Windows updates will terminate the services, update drivers and then start the services back.
This could happen within seconds and depending on the driver being updated you might lose that feature for a short period.
Some people panic, if they lose either sound or Internet connection, and instead of waiting for a couple of seconds, they start messing the system up without realizing it was just a Windows driver update.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noah Weston
Solution