Question I recently upgraded my pc and my motherboard isnt recognizing my new m.2 ssd

Dec 21, 2022
Ok so I recently got a new motherboard (The G.1 Sniper B6) and ssd (The SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280) for my desktop. I got everything installed correctly and wired up, on boot up I went through the new bios and after a few minutes it booted up like normal from my old hdd. However when I checked under the my pc setting in file explorer I only saw my old hdd and disk reader (for CD's and DVD's). After some searching I found that there is a setting in my bios called VDM and disabling it might allow my motherboard to recognize the ssd, or updating my bios might work (my current version is F3), but I can't find the VMD settings in bios and I can't find new bios versions from gigabyte for my motherboard model. Additionally, the port for the ssd may be disabled but I was only able to find the sata port controls. Please help I am going crazy trying to figure this out!

Here are the links to the two relevent parts in case I missed any details:
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-plus-1tb/p/N82E16820147743?Item=N82E16820147743

USAFRet

Titan
Yes that is the eventual plan, to transfer data and OS over for better speeds, I typed it in and the only thing the shows up is disk cleanup.
'transfer data and OS;....this is problematic.

You have a new motherboard.
Often, this requires a fresh OS install.

Yes, I understand that the system booted up with the new motherboard and old OS_drive.
This may still entail major issues.

Dec 21, 2022
'transfer data and OS;....this is problematic.

You have a new motherboard.
Often, this requires a fresh OS install.

Yes, I understand that the system booted up with the new motherboard and old OS_drive.
This may still entail major issues.
even if that is the case, first I need my pc to recognize that there is an ssd right? If I do a fresh install and it only recognizes the hdd then I would be in the same pickle

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022
Being such an ancient board, it may well not recognize that 970 EVO as something valid, until Samsung drivers are installed.
Which would require the OS to already be installed on some other drive.
Ok so this maybe a dumb question, but I used neweggs compatability checker to make sure the parts would work together, is it not that reliable? And assuming I am fine with reseting my pc (I already have everything I care about saved), what can I do to get it working?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Ok so this maybe a dumb question, but I used neweggs compatability checker to make sure the parts would work together, is it not that reliable? And assuming I am fine with reseting my pc (I already have everything I care about saved), what can I do to get it working?
First, install the Samsung driver for that drive.
See if it appears.

But even if it appears, don't count on being able to eventually use it as the OS drive.

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
A new HDD/SSD isn't necessarily formatted, and as such it doesn't show as drive under "my PC". One has to "enable" it in Windows under the mentioned "Disk Management" (which can be accessed e.g. by Start - Run - compmgmt.msc - and there you have a tab for the drives in particular).

But, if you are going to do a fresh Windows install anyhow, you may as well get an USB stick ready to install Windows with, and it will "enable" the drive during the installation process.

And in any case, if you can't see the drive under "Disk Management", then the issue may be that you need to update BIOS first.

Dec 21, 2022
A new HDD/SSD isn't necessarily formatted, and as such it doesn't show as drive under "my PC". One has to "enable" it in Windows under the mentioned "Disk Management" (which can be accessed e.g. by Start - Run - compmgmt.msc - and there you have a tab for the drives in particular).

But, if you are going to do a fresh Windows install anyhow, you may as well get an USB stick ready to install Windows with, and it will "enable" the drive during the installation process.

And in any case, if you can't see the drive under "Disk Management", then the issue may be that you need to update BIOS first.
Ok I was able to get to Disk management and the drive was there, just intialized it and it showed up in file explorer. When I started the Samsung data migration the drive switch to offline in Disk Management. It says "disk is offline because of policy set by an administrator" which I assume is just part of the cloning process. I think I may be good from here, if the cloning goes successfully I think I can manage an OS reinstall (which I know will wipe the drive but I want to make sure the drive works well first), should be basic enough for me to handle, but I will make sure to update the thread when once I have it all square away. Thanks for the help!

USAFRet

Titan
Ok I was able to get to Disk management and the drive was there, just intialized it and it showed up in file explorer. When I started the Samsung data migration the drive switch to offline in Disk Management. It says "disk is offline because of policy set by an administrator" which I assume is just part of the cloning process. I think I may be good from here, if the cloning goes successfully I think I can manage an OS reinstall (which I know will wipe the drive but I want to make sure the drive works well first), should be basic enough for me to handle, but I will make sure to update the thread when once I have it all square away. Thanks for the help!
Again, given that level of motherboard...you may not be able to use that drive as a boot drive.
Either clone or fresh install.

Dec 21, 2022
Again, given that level of motherboard...you may not be able to use that drive as a boot drive.
Either clone or fresh install.
Unfortunatly you are right, I got as far as trying to do a fresh install directly into the ssd where I learned it recognizes it but the bios for my motherboard doesnt allow booting from the m.2 port, and even though its possible, there is no offical support for making it happen and I dont want to trust modders with my bios, so I just ordered a regular ssd to replace my m.2 one. As unfortunate as it all is I am glad for the learning experience! Thanks again for all your help!