[SOLVED] I want to update from i5-4590. What to choose?

Feb 11, 2020
Hi guys my current build is

i5-4590
GTX 1060 3GB
Asrock B85M Pro3
DDR3 C9 1600MHZ 4x4GB/ 16GB
Plextor M6S 128GB(Windows)

Ive noticed that my CPU is not performing really well, when i play PUBG for example it gets to 100% CPU usage on medium settings and get fps drops and lag spikes.

What would a good CPU upgrade and i dont really want to change the mobo or ram.

But if i have to i could set a budget for a new mobo/cpu/ram.

Solution
I would recommend it, on the basis of yours being poor quality. Looking at what is available, for you, this looks to be the best option, at 550w, or less. I just added it to my previous build list.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£106.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£98.95 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£78.30 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£60.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £345.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by...

logainofhades

Titan
Your options are 4th gen i7's, and Xeon E3's, 1230v3, or better. You are still dumping money, into a dead end platform, though.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/b85m pro3/#CPU

There has never been a better time, to get on a more modern platform, than right now. Ryzen 5 based rigs are great bargains. Just a quick example, of something that would pair up great, with your current GPU, and give you a bit of headroom, for a faster GPU, as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $263.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-11 16:07 EST-0500

logainofhades

Titan
Much easier, than what you have now. AM4 is supposed to be around till at least the end of this year, and should support Ryzen 4000. It might be best to get an x570 board, or one of the MSI B450 max boards, depending on your case size, and budget, as those have larger bios chips, for future CPU support. I have still not seen a definite release date, for B550.

Feb 11, 2020
You're right. Do you reckon the MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX Motherboard would do the trick with later upgrades?

Also would CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V this be fine as new ram?
and i also have 500W PSU would this hold the rig?

johnsoner13

Respectable
You're right. Do you reckon the MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX Motherboard would do the trick with later upgrades?
The B450 Tomahawk MAX seems to be the best choice and most popular (and rightly so) among the MAX lineup of motherboards. The B450 GAMING PLUS MAX isn’t a bad choice, though. The ram in question should work well, although for absolutely sure compatibility you may want to find a kit on your mobo’s QVL. 500W should be enough power but it also depends on the quality of your PSU. What’s your PSU make and model?

logainofhades

Titan

logainofhades

Titan
I would recommend it, on the basis of yours being poor quality. Looking at what is available, for you, this looks to be the best option, at 550w, or less. I just added it to my previous build list.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£78.30 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£60.97 @ Amazon UK)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-11 22:40 GMT+0000

If you want some upgrade headroom, the 650w version isn't much more. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na

Solution
Feb 11, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-11 22:40 GMT+0000

If you want some upgrade headroom, the 650w version isn't much more. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na
Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Also i might just go for the 650W so i wont have to upgrade the PSU later on.

Thanks!

You're up to more than double the cost of just swapping in a i7-4790k with a new combo and power supply, especially when you consider the fact you can sell your 4590 to offset the cost. You can also sell your whole current combo and power supply to offset the cost of the newer one.

logainofhades

Titan
You are still dumping money into a dead end build. They can sell their board, cpu, and ram, to offset the cost of getting on a modern platform, with more features, and many more upgrade options. That Tomahawk Max can use any Ryzen CPU, up to the mighty 3950x. It is quite likely that it will support 4th gen, as well. There are people with A320, and B350 boards, using 3rd gen, now.

Feb 11, 2020
You are still dumping money into a dead end build. They can sell their board, cpu, and ram, to offset the cost of getting on a modern platform, with more features, and many more upgrade options. That Tomahawk Max can use any Ryzen CPU, up to the mighty 3950x. It is quite likely that it will support 4th gen, as well. There are people with A320, and B350 boards, using 3rd gen, now.

okay, so you think this upgrade is still worth? Will i be able to upgrade cpu later without any issues with this mobo?
Is it worth getting pre filled liquid cooler for this CPU or just a normal one would be enough for now?
Still trying to get a hold on to a PSU, would the one you given be worth or is there anything else at this price or lower?
Thanks

logainofhades

Titan
The PSU I listed is the best you are going to get, at that wattage. You don't want to cheap out, on the single most important part of your system. A low quality PSU can damage other hardware, especially when it dies, and takes your hardware with it. Air cooling is fine. The stock cooler is adequate, unless you overclock. You can use a beefier air cooler, for improved thermals, and less noise. There can always be issues, with an upgrade, but any 2nd or 3rd gen Ryzen should be just fine, with an up to date bios. 4th gen will depend on what AMD, and board manufacturers, decide, with regards to support.

logainofhades

Titan
The 1600 AF hasn't been selling that cheap lately, unfortunately. It has been closer to $105, or more. Even in the UK there isn't a huge difference in price.

PCPartPicker Part List

Total: £106.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-12 19:55 GMT+0000

vs

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (£95.53 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £95.53

The 1600 AF hasn't been selling that cheap lately, unfortunately. It has been closer to $105, or more. Even in the UK there isn't a huge difference in price.

PCPartPicker Part List

Total: £106.98

vs

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (£95.53 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £95.53

You're right. It's even higher.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Proces...1_2?keywords=ryzen+1600&qid=1581537723&sr=8-2

It has to have the F in the model number. (YD2600BBAFBOX)

So yeah why not the 2600.

Not everyone has the budget to always buy something new as is always suggested here. It's a matter of bang for buck and what bucks the OP has to spend.

Everything is a 'dead end build'. In 3 years the cycle revolves and yesterdays hotness is today's 'dead end build'. :rolleyes:

okay, so you think this upgrade is still worth? Will i be able to upgrade cpu later without any issues with this mobo?
Is it worth getting pre filled liquid cooler for this CPU or just a normal one would be enough for now?
Still trying to get a hold on to a PSU, would the one you given be worth or is there anything else at this price or lower?
Thanks
Either upgrade is a good bang for buck imo. It really depends on how much money you want to spend.

You can get an AIO for either setup, and since it could move to a new build, would even give more life to upgrading your existing setup.

And with your existing setup, you wouldn't have to touch the power supply.

logainofhades

Titan
Not everyone has the budget to always buy something new as is always suggested here. It's a matter of bang for buck and what bucks the OP has to spend.

Everything is a 'dead end build'. In 3 years the cycle revolves and yesterdays hotness is today's 'dead end build'. :rolleyes:

If you bought 1st gen ryzen, in 2017, your board still can support a Ryzen 3000 today. That is the problem with Intel. They change socket/chipset requirements constantly. Those that bought i7 6700k/7700k's are left behind, as Intel needlessly forced people into a new chipset, to support coffee lake.

Intel CPU prices rarely drop. There are lower budget options available, for Ryzen, that you could get a CPU and motherboard, for the cost of a used 4790k, by itself. So you spend a little extra, for DDR4, and have a huge upgrade path, and better mulithreaded support, for future titles. I have a friend that went from a 4590 to a Ryzen 5 1600, and he loves the multitasking capability it gave him. Used 1st gen ryzen may be an option too. It's just easier to show new components, on PCPP, than trying to scour Ebay or whatever sites they have available, for used parts.

The PSU recommendation is due to the fact that their CX500 is a poor quality unit, that can die, and take his system with it. Orange label CX are not suitable for a gaming rig. The new grey label CX/CXM are a much improved version, but in their area, the TXM is a better buy, as it is cheaper than the inferior CXM.