yeah412

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
Hey, im on a budget and wanna upgrade. My specs rn:

~Intel i5- 4460
~MSI GTX 750ti
~Corsair 1x8 GB DDR3

So, I had played Arma 3, Apex Legends, Dota with good fps’s. But I wanna upgrade coz I mainly want fps for FPS games. For instance apex on low settings is around 80-90 but sometimes it drops to 50-55 when big explosions are going on. Also wanting to get a 1ms 144hz 24” monitor and an 8 GB more ram.

So, can I play apex with 144+ fps with i5- 4460 and GTX 1070ti w/o bottlenecking? I wanna go with 1070ti coz I cant afford a new system rn and when im able, I can throw 1070ti in into the new system. Kinda like future investment. Thanks!

Solution
I would definitely suggest to get another 8GB stick that exactly matches your existing stick's specs...

OR

Get rid of the single 8GB stick, and get a matched pair of 4GB sticks

Either of these are to allow your RAM in dual channel mode. However, purchasing the matched 4GB (or matched 8GB pair, if you want 16GB total) will work. Getting another stick to match your existing one is a crapshoot. Might work, might not.

Your one stick running in single-channel mode is definitely something that's holding you back a bit.

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
In gpu hungry games you will see a huge improvement in fps, sure the older platform i5 may rob you of a few frames but it's still more than capable for gaming. Definitely throw in another 8gb of ram as well if you can grab a stick cheap, especially if your motherboard supports dual channel.

Reactions: yeah412

yeah412

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
In gpu hungry games you will see a huge improvement in fps, sure the older platform i5 may rob you of a few frames but it's still more than capable for gaming. Definitely throw in another 8gb of ram as well if you can grab a stick cheap, especially if your motherboard supports dual channel.
I have an MSI Z smth smth gaming 3 motherboard from 5-6 years ago with 1150 slot and it has 4 ram slots as far as i can remember.

Drop the game settings to minimum and resolution to 720p and test your games. This will give you a very rough idea of the best fps your cpu can deliver in those games. I think the old quad core is going to struggle to keep over 60fps. The cpu determines the best fps you can feasibly achieve, the gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve those fps at. You are also hindered by 8gb single channel RAM but adding another 8gb isn't guaranteed to work without issue as RAM should be bought in matched kits.

Your system will be very unbalanced. Your cpu and RAM are low end entry level and the 1070Ti is a high end card for 1080p.

yeah412

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
Drop the game settings to minimum and resolution to 720p and test your games. This will give you a very rough idea of the best fps your cpu can deliver in those games. I think the old quad core is going to struggle to keep over 60fps. The cpu determines the best fps you can feasibly achieve, the gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve those fps at. You are also hindered by 8gb single channel RAM but adding another 8gb isn't guaranteed to work without issue as RAM should be bought in matched kits.

Your system will be very unbalanced. Your cpu and RAM are low end entry level and the 1070Ti is a high end card for 1080p.
I wrote that im getting 80-90 fps in apex (low graphs) at 1080p res with 750ti and I dont think that’ll be worse with 1070ti. Also I’ll be buying the same model ram brand to clock so I dont think that’d be an issue itself. Just worried about the CPU actually.

I wrote that im getting 80-90 fps in apex (low graphs) at 1080p res with 750ti and I dont think that’ll be worse with 1070ti. Also I’ll be buying the same model ram brand to clock so I dont think that’d be an issue itself. Just worried about the CPU actually.
You also said you see drops in Apex to 50-55 so you are not keeping over 60 fps and I suspect this may be a cpu limitation. Also even buying the exact same make and model RAM is not guaranteed to work without issue, the chances of a problem are reduced but not completely eliminated.

yeah412

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
You also said you see drops in Apex to 50-55 so you are not keeping over 60 fps and I suspect this may be a cpu limitation. Also even buying the exact same make and model RAM is not guaranteed to work without issue, the chances of a problem are reduced but not completely eliminated.
The fps drop happens rarely but yeah it always may happen. I find it stupid to invest in a new CPU rn. Coz if i go buy a 4790k that’d be nearly same price with a brand new ryzen 2600. And as I said, im not able to change system rn.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would definitely suggest to get another 8GB stick that exactly matches your existing stick's specs...

OR

Either of these are to allow your RAM in dual channel mode. However, purchasing the matched 4GB (or matched 8GB pair, if you want 16GB total) will work. Getting another stick to match your existing one is a crapshoot. Might work, might not.

Your one stick running in single-channel mode is definitely something that's holding you back a bit.

Solution
The fps drop happens rarely but yeah it always may happen. I find it stupid to invest in a new CPU rn. Coz if i go buy a 4790k that’d be nearly same price with a brand new ryzen 2600. And as I said, im not able to change system rn.
I agree buying a 4790k does not make much sense. However you need to manage your expectations of what you can achieve with your current cpu regardless of gpu choice.

yeah412

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019

OR

Got that chief. I’ll try to test out the ram with mines when shoppin. I remember I told the guy to put 2x4gb of ram but the f.. geez, he put 1x8gb...