RedzoneDj

Reputable
Dec 10, 2019
Having issues with my PC 😢

I can't seem to pinpoint what the issue is. Sometimes my PC runs perfectly normal then it throws a fit out of nowhere! Please see some points below...

Issues
  • Freezing, mouse dragging slow, almost feeling heavy to pull across the screen
  • Black screen flashes. The screen flashes black then goes back to normal...
  • CMD Prompt randomly flashing on the screen - Flashes for a split second (This happens every now and then)
  • I close a program and my whole wallpaper disappearers, windows icons disappear and PC is practically unusable without a restart.
  • PC Restarts, fans rev up and the screen remains off - gets stuck like this for a while...
During one of these episodes, I tried to open the task manager and dragged the screen and it left a huge trail all over the screen.
(I tried to upload an image here but it said it didn't work and to contact admin) - I'll try again in the replies section.

I have a good anti-virus, did multiple scans, and even went on a crazy hunt manually, searching all my files for anything that looks suspicious. The only thing I can think is a Virus is causing this, I can't seem to find any faults with my hardware at all...

Things I have tried -
  • Anti Virus scans
  • DDU / Fresh install
  • Windows CMD file repair /sfc Scan
I'm at a complete loss with it now as sometimes it runs perfectly normal.

Any advice would be really appreciated. I'm losing my mind over this!
Thank you.

RedzoneDj

Reputable
Dec 10, 2019
When you say DDU/Fresh Install, you mean that you're using DDU and then fresh installing GPU drivers and not fresh installing Windows, correct?

If so, a full wipe-and-reinstall of Windows would seem to be in order.

Exactly that. Just the Graphics drivers removed and freshly installed.

I have been trying to avoid completely re-installing Windows due to losing files but I think you are right. It seems to me like a virus / malware related issue to me also so I think I will have to wipe the system and start over!

Bummer.

Would it be worth opting to keep files? I don't know what could be infected so not sure what to keep...

Thank you for your response.

DSzymborski

Titan
Exactly that. Just the Graphics drivers removed and freshly installed.

I have been trying to avoid completely re-installing Windows due to losing files but I think you are right. It seems to me like a virus / malware related issue to me also so I think I will have to wipe the system and start over!

Bummer.

Would it be worth opting to keep files? I don't know what could be infected so not sure what to keep...

Thank you for your response.

If you kept files, then it wouldn't be a full wipe.

You already should be backing up your important files as a matter of very basic PC upkeep, but if you're not, this would be a good push to start. Generally speaking, the goal is to have your PC set up and organized in such a matter that a full Windows reinstall does nothing but cause a couple hours of annoyance.

Reactions: RedzoneDj

RedzoneDj

Reputable
Dec 10, 2019
If you kept files, then it wouldn't be a full wipe.

You already should be backing up your important files as a matter of very basic PC upkeep, but if you're not, this would be a good push to start. Generally speaking, the goal is to have your PC set up and organized in such a matter that a full Windows reinstall does nothing but cause a couple hours of annoyance.

Understood. I will perform a full wipe and re-install Windows from scratch.

Do you agree the issues seem of a virus-like nature? It's frustrating that nothing shows up when I perform scans. Even tried using R/kill, disconnecting from the internet, and running scans. I Ran the Tron Script (reddit) cluster of AV programs, again... nothing.,

I should have mentioned I found a program on my PC called "Qemu". I absolutely never installed it so it was very strange seeing it...

Very frustrating but nevermind. I will nuke just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

RedzoneDj

Reputable
Dec 10, 2019
Something is very wrong.

Fresh install of Windows first, and if these things persist, start testing components: RAM, GPU, etc.

I know right! I was sat there looking at my computer thinking, what on earth is going on?

I've been convinced of a Virus for a while now. Spent hours and hours manually going through my files, trying to find anything suspicious.

I did find a Linux / Machine emulator that I absolutely did not install. It was called "Qemu"

It was weird finding this as I had never seen it before.

Thank you for your suggestion. When I get home I will be wiping the PC and doing a fresh windows install.

Reactions: PEnns

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
I know right! I was sat there looking at my computer thinking, what on earth is going on?

I've been convinced of a Virus for a while now. Spent hours and hours manually going through my files, trying to find anything suspicious.

I did find a Linux / Machine emulator that I absolutely did not install. It was called "Qemu"

It was weird finding this as I had never seen it before.

Thank you for your suggestion. When I get home I will be wiping the PC and doing a fresh windows install.

Good idea and please follow the proper guidelines for installing Windows: Disconnect all other drives except the C drive (Windows drive) and proceed.

You want the whole Windows system to be on just one drive. Other drives are for data / programs only. If you keep other drives connected, WIndows loves to place bits of its components on them as well! Not a good idea.

Good luck

As others have said, disconnect all other drives.
Erase all partitions/everything from that one drive during a fresh install.

Once you get Windows up and running, do you have internet or do you need to install network drivers? If you have internet, let Windows update do its thing and install all the drivers needed for your hardware. All other drives should STILL be unplugged. Once you get Windows fully installed, patched, and working test it.

Reactions: PEnns

RedzoneDj

Reputable
Dec 10, 2019
As others have said, disconnect all other drives.
Erase all partitions/everything from that one drive during a fresh install.

Once you get Windows up and running, do you have internet or do you need to install network drivers? If you have internet, let Windows update do its thing and install all the drivers needed for your hardware. All other drives should STILL be unplugged. Once you get Windows fully installed, patched, and working test it.

Hello,

I have internet so that's fine. Windows will be able to update after installation. I might update my BIOS while I'm at it also as I have not done this since building the PC in 2018!

Just to be sure, I should open up my PC, disconnect my other drives prior to wiping / re-installing windows and only plug them back in, re-name them etc after the installation is fully complete and windows is operating as normal?

The only issue is. I have no way of properly testing whether this will fix so I will just have to wait, use the PC as normal, and see if any of the problems return.

Thank you also for your response here.

Just to be sure, I should open up my PC, disconnect my other drives prior to wiping / re-installing windows and only plug them back in, re-name them etc after the installation is fully complete and windows is operating as normal?
Keep all other drives unplugged while you test. Your goal is to verify that your base hardware is good without the data (and possible viruses) from the other drives.

The only issue is. I have no way of properly testing whether this will fix so I will just have to wait, use the PC as normal, and see if any of the problems return.
What do you mean? Of course you can test the hardware without the other drives attached. Load up a game from Steam, run benchmark softwares, etc.

The other thing you could do is boot from a Linux live USB that has at least somewhat up-to-date antivirus software with just your OTHER drives attached (the ones with the possible viruses) and perform virus scans.

Last edited:

RedzoneDj

Reputable
Dec 10, 2019
Keep all other drives unplugged while you test. Your goal is to verify that your base hardware is good without the data (and possible viruses) from the other drives.

What do you mean? Of course you can test the hardware without the other drives attached. Load up a game from Steam, run benchmark softwares, etc.

The other thing you could do is boot from a Linux live USB that has at least somewhat up-to-date antivirus software with just your OTHER drives attached (the ones with the possible viruses) and perform virus scans.

So, my other 2 drives are practically empty. One of them is empty as I only just installed 2 days ago! Just a couple games on the other one. I would say if there is a virus it's definitely on my main C: drive - which I will be wiping. I will follow your advice though, just to be sure.

I meant it's hard to test as I'm not sure how to replicate the issues I listed above. They happen completely at random! Some days my PC will run fine, without issues. Other days it's awful and all the problems above occur.

So, my other 2 drives are practically empty. One of them is empty as I only just installed 2 days ago! Just a couple games on the other one. I would say if there is a virus it's definitely on my main C: drive - which I will be wiping. I will follow your advice though, just to be sure.

I meant it's hard to test as I'm not sure how to replicate the issues I listed above. They happen completely at random! Some days my PC will run fine, without issues. Other days it's awful and all the problems above occur.
Ahhh, I see. You're just going to have to be patient.

You can also boot off an update Linux live USB that has antivirus software on it (it's pretty easy to update the AV signatures on the USB) and do full virus scans on the suspect drives.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm not 100% sure it's a virus, bu it's an easy way to rule out a virus. And, in my experience, most people are overdo for a Windows refresh anyway.

One trick I do to make wipes faster is I keep a flash drive (backed up on my file server) that's just a folder with the basic install files for every bit of software I use (can always update after it's installed) and a backup of my start menu folder/icon hierarchy (I use Stardock's Start 11 on most of my PCs). It's one of those things that streamlines getting everything back to normal.

RedzoneDj

Reputable
Dec 10, 2019
I'm not 100% sure it's a virus, bu it's an easy way to rule out a virus. And, in my experience, most people are overdo for a Windows refresh anyway.

One trick I do to make wipes faster is I keep a flash drive (backed up on my file server) that's just a folder with the basic install files for every bit of software I use (can always update after it's installed) and a backup of my start menu folder/icon hierarchy (I use Stardock's Start 11 on most of my PCs). It's one of those things that streamlines getting everything back to normal.
Finally reset after a year since this post.

Problem still occured straight after and during windows welcome screen...

I flashed the Bios with the latest update and have not had any issues since...

Hopefully this has sorted it!

TRENDING THREADS