[SOLVED] I'm trying to decide- should i go AMD or Intel, which will be better future proof ?

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
Hi, all my life i have bought all my gaming PCs with intel CPUs . but i always face a major issue- 2-3 years from buying a new PC when i try to replace my 2-3 years old gpu with a brand new latest 2-3x more powerful gpu to match my gaming need, my intel cpu always bottleneck and i cant even just upgrade the cpu to latest gen to match the gpu cause mobo wont allow it so just to use new gpu i had to buy whole PC completely new. Now was wondering , is amd mobos better future proof so that after 3-4 years i could upgrade my cpu too to match new gpu without buying whole pc? or intell also got future proof recently ? I'm buying new PC again, so this time i'm trying to decide- should i go amd or intel, which will be better future proof . So if history repeats then only amd motherboards can support next few generations of cpu but not Intel right? Will AMD AM5support zen5/zen6 cpus too? has/will very soon intell launched/launch any socket which will support few more future genrations?

Last edited:
Solution
If only I had a time machine, it would make telling you that answer way easier though I would probably want you to pay me :)

If history repeats, its possible current AMD Motherboards will let you use them for a few generations, but it might not repeat

I know my current CPU is bottleneck for new GPU because almost all current CPU are. even top end ones, only way to make them match is upgrade CPU as often as GPU, and even that doesn't work now.

I just buy the best you can afford now and don't worry about what future holds. You can wait for better just to find there is always better to come... have to just ignore it and buy what you can now.

Unclegig2018

Prominent
Jun 21, 2022
i am not good with pc but i got the parts i needed for a gaming pc and all i know is that

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
and got MSI AMD RADEON RX 6600 AND RAM FROM COASIR AND MOTHERBOARD ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING WIFI

Colif

Win 11 Master
If only I had a time machine, it would make telling you that answer way easier though I would probably want you to pay me :)

If history repeats, its possible current AMD Motherboards will let you use them for a few generations, but it might not repeat

I know my current CPU is bottleneck for new GPU because almost all current CPU are. even top end ones, only way to make them match is upgrade CPU as often as GPU, and even that doesn't work now.

I just buy the best you can afford now and don't worry about what future holds. You can wait for better just to find there is always better to come... have to just ignore it and buy what you can now.

Reactions: eziowar
Solution

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015

Tyvm, so if history repeats then only amd motherboards can support next few generations of cpu but not Intel right?

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
If recent history repeats, yes.
Its hard to say as they both swapped to DDR5 recently so AMD may make changes in the next boards. Its an unknown.
Tyvm. wdym by "amd swaped to ddr5 so AMD may make changes in the next boards" ? is there currently no ddr5 amd board/cpu ? please elaborate little bit more, it'll help me lot.