NewMemberLooking4Help

Commendable
Nov 12, 2019
Hi, im trying to buy a new laptop and im in a small struggle right now. I want to buy a laptop with an integrated GPU and i don't know how important the performance of the iGPU is, compared to the performance of the CPU. I want to use my new laptop primarily for work, studying and a bit of YT. For example the AMD Ryzen 7 5800H has better benchmark values than a Intel Core i7-1185G7 but the iGPU in the Ryzen (AMD Radeon RX Vega 8 (Ryzen 4000)) is weaker then Intel's iGPU (Intel Iris Xe Graphics G7 96EUs). Please Help!

Solution
EVERY laptop will have an integrated gpu that is capable of desktop work and HD movie playback.
Only if you will be doing fast action gaming would a high performing discrete graphics chip be appropriate.
If you will be running apps that can fully saturate all 16 threads, the ryzen cpu is much more capable than the intel 8 thread cpu.
For normal desktop work, the single thread performance becomes more important.
Both are excellent and equally capable in that regard.

The one key performance item for a laptop is to have a ssd.
No other factor is more important for everyday quickness.

If you can, see each candidate in person.
See what the keyboard feels like.
An important factor will be the display screen.
Look for a screen that can...

NewMemberLooking4Help

Commendable
Nov 12, 2019
Hi, im trying to buy a new Laptop and im in a small struggle right now. I want to buy a laptop with an integrated GPU and i don't know how important the performance of the iGPU is, compared to the performance of the CPU. I want to use my new laptop primarily for work, studying and a bit of YT. For example the AMD Ryzen 7 5800H has better benchmark values than a Intel Core i7-1185G7 but the iGPU in the Ryzen (AMD Radeon RX Vega 8 (Ryzen 4000)) is weaker then Intel's iGPU (Intel Iris Xe Graphics G7 96EUs). Please Help!

KyaraM

Admirable
Iirc, if you don't intend to game and only work ob the laptop, the iGPU shouldn't be much of an issue. So the Ryzen would likely be the better option. I'm not an expert on the matter by any means, though, so if someone else got more info on this, feel free to correct me. But I know that most PCs at my workplace (all laptops, too) don't have dedicated GPUs, so...

EVERY laptop will have an integrated gpu that is capable of desktop work and HD movie playback.
Only if you will be doing fast action gaming would a high performing discrete graphics chip be appropriate.
If you will be running apps that can fully saturate all 16 threads, the ryzen cpu is much more capable than the intel 8 thread cpu.

Look for a screen that can be bright, perhaps 400 or 500 nits.

Do you have a budget?
Do you need a light unit for portability, or will this be used as a desktop replacement?

Solution

NewMemberLooking4Help

Commendable
Nov 12, 2019

Look for a screen that can be bright, perhaps 400 or 500 nits.

Do you have a budget?
Do you need a light unit for portability, or will this be used as a desktop replacement?

Hello, thank You for the quick replay. My Budget is 1250 EUR. I was scanning the market after some Macbook Air alternatives, im not a fan of the Apple policy and Apple OS. Currently im considering the Asus Zenbook 14x OLED (UX5401) wich comes with the AMD setup mentioned before + a very nice Screen. My decision is not final since i still have to check out all the Dell, Lenovo and HP Notebooks as well.
That's very true that the SSD is a very important factor, but in this case i have to relay on the specifications the producent provides most likely beeing able to only differentiate there between PCIE 3.0 or 4.0.
Oh and i will be using the Notebook 50% at home and 50% at university and work.

That's very true that the SSD is a very important factor, but in this case i have to relay on the specifications the producent provides

Walk away from any candidate that can't be confirmed as SSD for the OS installation.

I would not be concerned with any other drive specifications other than capacity.

A few laptops have multiple hard drives...which a few people would require.