callmefin

Commendable
Apr 27, 2018
Hi!

I am having problem with the refresh rate setting. I am using LG 24GM79G, which is 1080p 144hz monitor.
My graphic card is GTX 1070 TI from GALAX.
I have been using display port so far, set at 1990x1080 and 144hz.

1. Just a few days ago, suddenly I started to notice my display is quite blurry, so I went to check on NVIDIA Control Panel.
  2. Suddenly my display is only on 100hz and I see no more 144hz option. It was capped at 100hz maximum. This 100hz is darker and somehow blurry.
  3. I unplugged and plugged, switched to different ports of my graphic cards several times, still not helpful.
  4. I restarted my computer, then it got back to 144hz again.
  5. Then I left my computer for a while, the display went to power saving sleep mode, and when I turn it back on, it suddenly capped at 100hz again.
  6. The 100hz is under PC section of the resolution options. It's uncomfortably dark and blurry, so I changed to Ultra HD, HD, SD options which offer 1980x1080 (native) and that only gave me max 60hz. However, using this Ultra HD, HD, SD - 1980x1080 (native) 60hz is brighter and not blurry.
  7. I tried changing things through Windows basic display setting, still not helpful. 144hz option is there, but after applying and opening it again, it was actually set at 100hz.
  8. It's very unpredictable of when I can get the normal 144hz option to show up again, even though I tried to reboot my computer again.

Can anyone please help? Is it my graphic card? Is it my display port cable? Is it the NVIDIA driver? What is going on here :(

callmefin

Commendable
Apr 27, 2018
I just tried unfolding the cables, and the detected refresh rate is now back to normal! I folded the cable (not too extremely bent actually) for cleaner cable management. I didn't expect that folded display port cable could have such effect on the display. I will look for a few more days and update if this is issue is fully solved.

Update: It's happening again :| My best guess is the Display Port cable. Does any of you perhaps know more about this issue?

Last edited: