[SOLVED] Insane voltage(2.6v) and temperature(75 C° idle) numbers in BIOS and Ryzen Master?

Sep 24, 2021
Hi all,

So I built this pc more than a year ago and I noticed some weird numbers in BIOS but I was pretty sure it's a sensor issue.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler
ASROCK Prime b450m-a
GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700 XT
4x8gb Hyperx Fury ram 3200mhz
Thermaltake 600w

I've been gaming/working (3d renders) with it just fine. It was always felt hot and it never produced the numbers I see in yt videos, but I didn't really care.
Up until now when I have to render something in a deadline and my cpu instantly gets to 95 C° and its kinda... not ok
It's important to say that the pc is still working fine but maybe 60% of its potential.. I guess I don't know tbh.

I was hoping you pc gurus can share your thoughts. :)

Thank you!!!

pictures:
https://ibb.co/19NWwnV
https://ibb.co/BzKKGxv

Solution
Updated the bios, it still displays incorrect voltage values. I don't think I can or should do much about it.
There is not anything you can do about it and really you shouldn't even if you could. Voltage readings in BIOS setup screens is almost meaningless as the processor is not in a proper operating state as when an OS is loaded, all cores and threads are being utilized and memory fully accessed. About all you'd want to know is it's not somewhere in the realm of 'horrible' like way over 1.5V. Although some early B350 board BIOS' would go to as high as 1.55V when in BIOS...but be normal in the OS. Nothing to do about it but wait for a later BIOS to fix it.
Hi all,

So I built this pc more than a year ago and I noticed some weird numbers in BIOS but I was pretty sure it's a sensor issue.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler
ASROCK Prime b450m-a
GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700 XT
4x8gb Hyperx Fury ram 3200mhz
Thermaltake 600w

I've been gaming/working (3d renders) with it just fine. It was always felt hot and it never produced the numbers I see in yt videos, but I didn't really care.
Up until now when I have to render something in a deadline and my cpu instantly gets to 95 C° and its kinda... not ok
It's important to say that the pc is still working fine but maybe 60% of its potential.. I guess I don't know tbh.

I was hoping you pc gurus can share your thoughts. :)

Thank you!!!

pictures:
https://ibb.co/19NWwnV
https://ibb.co/BzKKGxv
First thing to do is reset CMOS unless you're positive you did when you installed the CPU or last updated BIOS.

Next thing is to get a utility called HWInfo64 and use that to monitor temps. Look for CPU Die (average) in particular.

I don't think it's OK to immediately go to 95C when you start to render something. The stock cooler is at best barely adequate, you might consider upgrading it. A better cooler to keep a cooler CPU means it will boost higher and for longer, it's almost like overclocking. But what you should want to see is temps in the mid-70's when rendering.

Sep 24, 2021
First thing to do is reset CMOS unless you're positive you did when you installed the CPU or last updated BIOS.

Next thing is to get a utility called HWInfo64 and use that to monitor temps. Look for CPU Die (average) in particular.

I don't think it's OK to immediately go to 95C when you start to render something. The stock cooler is at best barely adequate, you might consider upgrading it. A better cooler to keep a cooler CPU means it will boost higher and for longer, it's almost like overclocking. But what you should want to see is temps in the mid-70's when rendering.
thank you for your reply I downloaded HWinfo and indeed the voltage shown incorrectly in bios, I haven't updated it since last year. Regarding the cpu temp: im on my way to buy a new cooler. Thank you

Sep 24, 2021
Updated the bios, it still displays incorrect voltage values. I don't think I can or should do much about it.
On the other hand got myself a Hyper 212 Evo Cooler.
idle temp: 40
rendering: 70

I'm quite happy.

Cheers

There is not anything you can do about it and really you shouldn't even if you could. Voltage readings in BIOS setup screens is almost meaningless as the processor is not in a proper operating state as when an OS is loaded, all cores and threads are being utilized and memory fully accessed. About all you'd want to know is it's not somewhere in the realm of 'horrible' like way over 1.5V. Although some early B350 board BIOS' would go to as high as 1.55V when in BIOS...but be normal in the OS. Nothing to do about it but wait for a later BIOS to fix it.

Reactions: miGate
Solution